Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2017, 11:23 AM   #221
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
Two Montana's a 2006 3400 and a 13 3402.Problems both big and small with both particularly with failed holding tanks on both units. We have never been "jerked around by Keystone/Montana. We have never had a problem with the service center or service during the warranty period. We travel around the country a lot and have never had a problem with service at a Keystone dealer no matter were we might be after a call to the Service center. We have always purchased a Extended warranty ( service contract) using three different companies over 11 years and never had a problem with service or payment and we have used all of them.
We are not suggesting Montana is the best unit out there but it is IMO the best in that price range. This 13 3402 has seemed to settle down after 4 tank failures, One fridge cooling unit failure, one hot water tank failure all covered by the Keystone one year warranty, manufactures warranty or the Extended warranty (service contract) without a problem. We know plenty of 5th wheel owners of several different brands some of them allegedly of higher quality and we all experience similar issues.
There will be no more RV's for us after 11 years on the road as we are near to the end of our Rv journey.
Thank you for your response, but the last line bothers me. This is why we camp every three weeks somewhere. I'm a 30 year medic so far and we decided to start our camping with our son while we can. Not too many of us older medics are able to do much after retirement due to physical limitations. I pray that your remaining years on the road are fantastic!

Old 02-15-2017, 12:06 PM   #222
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Believe me I would be as POed as you about this and we know you are not Montana bashing but this is a pretty Unusual as far as I have noticed on the Forum and speaking to A LOT of Montana owners over the years of Keystone Not handling this BAD situation better ,the problem i have is folks saying I will NEVER buy a Thor product again because of your situation and that is just crazy talk when %95+ of folks I have talked to over the many years with Monty's have never had a bad a lemon as you or treated so Badly by Keystone But heck yeah we are all hoping Keystone will do the right thing and you can get back on the road again QUICKLY and Enjoy it
bigskyjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:13 PM   #223
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Thanks buddy!
Old 02-15-2017, 12:15 PM   #224
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have spent 6 months every one of those 11 years staying in Warm weather so we live in these things 24/7/180 every year. We return to our home base S&B for the summer 6 months and travel from there example we did the S.W f or 44 days the summer of 2016. We also do various rallies and other camping trips and spend at least 3 months of the summer 6 months on the road, rarely less. We have done over 100K miles in our near 11 years on the road so we do use these Montana's hard We will be attending the NE rally and will tour the NE States this summer as the last part of the country we have not toured. Our Rv'ing goal in 2006 was to stay out of snow and ice and see the USA. We have achieved that goal. We are older now and everything must change in time for us perhaps a site in warm Florida.We have been campers and Rv'ers for over 30 years and do not regret a day of it. Our point was that these two Montana's have served us well but not without issues. We had 4 Rv's before the Montana's with less problems as we were low end users then.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:18 PM   #225
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
I surely can understand your situation Golfmedic and your continued postings here. They are very informative of a sad situation that with your continued patience and attention here we hope to get a final resolution and we all support that cause.
What I don't understand is those that continue to state they will never buy another Montana or Thor product yet they continue their presence here with regular derogatory posts.
I get that you are dissatisfied and you may have every right to be but what is the end goal from here?

Just puzzled by this as I would have moved on if I truly felt the same way but maybe that is just us?
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:29 PM   #226
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarMar View Post
I surely can understand your situation Golfmedic and your continued postings here. They are very informative of a sad situation that with your continued patience and attention here we hope to get a final resolution and we all support that cause.
What I don't understand is those that continue to state they will never buy another Montana or Thor product yet they continue their presence here with regular derogatory posts.
I get that you are dissatisfied and you may have every right to be but what is the end goal from here?

Just puzzled by this as I would have moved on if I truly felt the same way but maybe that is just us?
I am waiting to see what is done and how the camper is repaired. I cannot blame the dealer or the camper, only Keystone Montana for taking MONTHS to address the issue. In other states this may not be a problem, bu there there is no lemon law, so when you say you would have "moved on" it would have cost us thousands trading a brand new on a brand new camper. Something I am not willing to do just because a company won't stand behind their product in a timely manner. The end goal is to have an extended warranty and the camper fixed. I may not ever buy another Montana, but it does beg the question, if the studs in mine look like that, how many others are the same. The main reason I am posting here is a way of letting people know that if you have a big issue, don't expect it to be taken care of in a timely manner. There are some that are interested in this problem, as a matter of fact in the last 24 hours, I've been contacted by three other owners of my camper or the 3791 with the same issue. So, it appears that I'm not the only one.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:36 PM   #227
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
This makes you wonder how many units have this problem. Yours as you know isn't the only one and the 3970RD isn't the only model. Most people wouldn't even know they had a problem. The assembly people know there was problem and if was just one they would have fixed it. I suspect there are many and the people in charge know it and don't have a clue as to what to do and save their jobs.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 03:58 PM   #228
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I cannot speak for Darwin but I see what he is saying that you have a BAD RV and you should keep posting about this nightmare untill get gets resolved and we all want to hear updates until it is But some folks come on here to the Forum Just to Bash or Complain NON STOP even though they do not have a issue right now with their Monty or it was already fixed long ago and they are still Whinning and Contribute Nothing to the Forum other than that and it gets Old
bigskyjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:40 PM   #229
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Golfmedic, please re-read the first paragraph of my post. I most certainly was not suggesting that YOU should move on.
You have a current serious problem and we can only hope by posting on here along with the supporting replies that in some way it helps with the resolution of your situation. Posts like your's also serve to make other members aware of potential problems and maybe help enlighten us as how to deal with them and I support this thread 100%.

At the same time posts from someone that state they will never buy another Montana or Thor product of any kind serve no purpose to support this effort and I lack the vision to understand how that helps the rest of us Montana owners. JMHO
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:20 PM   #230
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarMar View Post
Golfmedic, please re-read the first paragraph of my post. I most certainly was not suggesting that YOU should move on.
You have a current serious problem and we can only hope by posting on here along with the supporting replies that in some way it helps with the resolution of your situation. Posts like your's also serve to make other members aware of potential problems and maybe help enlighten us as how to deal with them and I support this thread 100%.

At the same time posts from someone that state they will never buy another Montana or Thor product of any kind serve no purpose to support this effort and I lack the vision to understand how that helps the rest of us Montana owners. JMHO
Understood! I didn't mean to imply a different tone in my last post either. This is something that posting in a forum like this lacks is expression to make people understand your intent. I'm sorry I missed that in your post. I do understand your point now. Sorry for the confusion. I have a friend of mine that bought a brand new Ford Taurus and the next day we took off to Myrtle Beach on vacation. On the way the Taurus lost compression in two cylinders. The dealership in MB offered them the same car in another color if the selling dealer would do the paperwork. They refused and Ford management refused to "make" them do it. Long story short, after two other trips back to MB to get a his new car with a second engine in 500 miles, he swore off Fords forever. So far, 17 years later, he's kept his word. I understand his point of view in a way, but he has short sided himself on very nice vehicles along the way.
I will continue to update you guys along the way as Friday is the day it is supposed to be started on. Ironically, the camper was built on a Friday and Monday. I knew we should have skipped that one
Old 02-16-2017, 04:01 AM   #231
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi richfaa

You know full well that Golfmedik and I have been treated with little or no respect by Keystone. At least it looks like Golfmedik is going to get his unit repaired most probably because of Trailer Life.

When Mr. Holms promised to help me out he didn’t even have the courtesy to tell me personal that Keystone was just going to screw me he had one of his underlings call me and do it.

Then there are the multiple lies they have told me right up to recently when they told me they couldn’t give information from the build ticket because the dealers had internet access to the information and gave me a dealer’s phone number to call. When I called the dealer and requested the information I needed they told me they didn’t have and have never had internet access to that information and just hung up. I guess they are tired of having people call with that request.

Phil P
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:20 AM   #232
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Hi richfaa

You know full well that Golfmedik and I have been treated with little or no respect by Keystone. At least it looks like Golfmedik is going to get his unit repaired most probably because of Trailer Life.

When Mr. Holms promised to help me out he didn’t even have the courtesy to tell me personal that Keystone was just going to screw me he had one of his underlings call me and do it.

Then there are the multiple lies they have told me right up to recently when they told me they couldn’t give information from the build ticket because the dealers had internet access to the information and gave me a dealer’s phone number to call. When I called the dealer and requested the information I needed they told me they didn’t have and have never had internet access to that information and just hung up. I guess they are tired of having people call with that request.

Phil P
The issues both of you have had are well documented and not disputed. My issues going back to our 2006 3400 and up to our 13 3402 pale in comparison. We can only relate our experiences on our interactions with Keystone on both units. We have worked with and met Mr Holmes on multiple issues on this 13 3402 as well as his then "underling" Nickolas. We were never lied to or brushed aside. Our interactions were professional and our issues were addressed and solved. We have never been refused information we requested. We asked for information on the awning that was installed on our 13 3402 and the make model, color, etc was set in a couple of days. I can only assume that came from the build order.

There have been several cases like your own and Golfmedik and we have no explanations for your experience again we can only relate our experiences on two Montana's since 2006.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:53 PM   #233
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
DELAYED!!! I finally got someone to answer me back today after I called and left messages. When she called, she was apologetic that she had failed to tell me the unit was at the factory. As we were talking I asked if it was being worked on and her reply was, "No". She said they are running behind and that the guys assigned to this unit will not be finished with the unit they are working on now until the END OF NEXT WEEK and that my unit should be started after that. So, apparently the quickest it will be torn into is a week from this coming Monday. She did say that they had done a preliminary exam of the unit and it appears that one of three things has happened. 1- Broken weld in the nose, 2-the relief cut under the slide did not go all the way through the side wall to effectively stop the flex, or 3- that the aluminum beams in the front that sit on the steel beams were not "stuffed with wood for the bolts to adhere to when put in from the steel beams to hold them together":-arrgh I asked for a guestimate as to how long it would take and she stated that at least a week for the flex, then the interior wall and the AC units will have to be tested. This may be a several week process before the unit comes back. I was afraid of that!!!!! She stated that once the nose was removed and the problem found, the plant manager and the production manager have to examine to see if correct procedures were followed. No estimate on time received. Which brought me to the videos! I asked her had anyone seen them and she didn't even know what I was talking about. So, I explained to her the stud problem(short, shoddy welds, etc) and the videos that were taken and she stated that even she couldn't see the videos because they were YouTube, but there were people in the plant that could see them and she would make sure that happened. I gave her a list of the ones I'd sent them to. This is just adding to my disdain for this company now. I wonder why I wasn't told of the delay! I also wonder if that is why they haven't contacted me due to this delay. I told her that this would probably not sit well with my forum friends and others having the same complaint. I told her there were more and she was silent. I finally told her that this entire ordeal has been going on since July and has now been seen over 85,000 times. Again, she was silent. I know it is not her fault and I stayed pretty calm with her as I wanted to stay that way, but I'm ticked at the entire Montana department. This has gone on WAY TOO LONG! She promised to update me:-huh from now on once it makes its way to the floor. So, that is where it stands as of now.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:47 PM   #234
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You are going through quite a ordeal all I can say is the Rv will come out of the service enter far better than it came off the assembly line. I remember when our 06 3400 was there for a "frame flex" issue. We went by the service enter and looked in the bay to see our 3400 scattered all over the floor front cap completely off. I think that after your experience I would be looking for another brand RV once this is over. Montana's have a good trade value and there are a couple of good looking brands out there.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:08 PM   #235
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
In my opinion, a good reputable manufacturer would have moved you to the front of the line. But, here in the real world, money talks and bs walks. Unfortunately for you, they have your money, so step to the end of the line. Nonsense. Sorry for your continued misfortune and hopefully you will be rolling again before camping season is in full bloom.
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:50 PM   #236
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
The following is more in response to replies and not to Golfmedik's sad ... sad predicament.
Quote "In my opinion, a good reputable manufacturer would have moved you to the front of the line."
Monitoring several RV forums and reading about owners misfortunes ... would you consider that there are several other owners with major issues taking lots of repair time and there is no "front of the line"? Am I the only one who notices just how many new units are sitting at dealer's lots with sizable repair issues? Just because you don't hear of them on the MOC doesn't mean they don't count. None of the RV manufacturers have large dedicated onsite repair crews. That's why it takes an act of Congress to get a repair authorization to bring it back to the factory. They may have exceptional service at the Rally, but that is another story. Like I have stated before and Rich has also mentioned ... the bad taste of this unit will forever be in Golfmediks mind no matter how well the "fix" turns out. Absorb the hit that comes with selling it, leave the bad experience behind, and hope for a much better ownership experience with the next one.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:02 PM   #237
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
I realize that all manufacturers have problems. My Forest River did, but they were very easy to contact and had the problems solved in a decent amount of time. I have a problem with the company that takes 5 months to respond to a complaint of a frame issue and only then due to two phone calls from the dealership owner. IF it is repaired, I would have no problem keeping this unit. I would then tell everyone that they DID repair the unit, but not in a timely manner. We love the unit, which is the reason we bought it. I'm not brand loyal to anything, especially campers. This one has just made me realize that because they may be the best selling, doesn't mean they have prompt customer service.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:20 PM   #238
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
I see your point dieselguy, but I find it hard to believe that he is waiting his turn behind other units in similar disrepair, and have been waiting since at least last July for some love from Keystone. Maybe they are, but my cynical mind tells me, more likely, the units in front of him have not been delivered yet. We have been following this story for many months now and it seems time for Keystone to stop procrastinating.
Besides, what ever happened to the "Hot Team" Dam Worker alluded to way back when?
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 04:11 AM   #239
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

In my case they did not ever repair the unit. After 18 months I had to go to a repair facility that use to be a Keystone authorized repair facility but had declined any further association with Keystone because of the way they treated their warranty customers and paid for all of the warranty items reported during the warranty period from the first 2 weeks of owner ship.

Then after watching how Thor treated a new owner of one of their class A units I will never be the owner of another Thor product.

Phil P
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:22 AM   #240
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If the opportunity ever arises a trip to the service enter to observe how busy they are and how it works would be educational. We had a issue at this years fall rally that the service tech approved for repair but we were not sent to the service enter but a nearby Keystone approved repair facility that did a excellent job many other rally attendees with problem were also sent there. We were also sent to a repair facility in Michigan when we had axle problems on our 06 3400 as well as a repair facility in Quartzsite when we had our "meltdown" The service center arranged everything with the repair facilities and we had no problems. Just my experience over the years. Yours is unforgivable.