Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Waxing - Buffer use and tips

I need to wax the Monty but I don't think my shoulders will survive the task if I do it by hand. I'm dealing with rotator cuff issues and I'm considering using a buffer to minimize the strain.
I'd like to hear from those of you that use a buffer for the job... things like what kind of buffer you use, what kind of wax, hints, tips, tricks, cautions, etc.
I'd like to learn from others rather than find out the hard way.
Thanks!

CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Jay,
Last winter in AZ I observed a couple of local guys applying Maguires wax to a unit. I don't remember the Maguires #.
They used a buffer to apply the wax and wiped it down with cloths. They did not use the buffer to buff the wax off.
They used a ketchup or a mustard squeeze bottle to apply the wax to the buffer pad.
Since then I have used this method and it worked better than anyway I have tried before. I think applying the wax used to take the most time. With the buffer to do that the time is really cut down.
The rear cap will need to be done by hand at least most of it.
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:43 AM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I can’t say that I’ve used a buffer on it so I can’t help you there. I did wash ours not long ago. I went to Wally-World and purchased the RV wash which included a wax. I’m well pleased with how it turned out. It seemed to have a nice shine after the wash. I was pretty much soaked so I decided to wash the truck with it also. It turned out well looking like it had been waxed. Later on that day I got another spurt of energy so I used up the rest of the bottle and washed two more vehicles. They all looked great and still look like they’ve been waxed.

I purchased graphics about a year ago for our previous camper and Burlington Graphics told me that the decals shouldn’t be waxed. I felt safe using the wash but I’m still concerned about using any kind of wax on the graphics! I used it because it was made and intended for use on RV’s. I will probably remain cautious about what I use and I doubt that I will use a strong wax over any graphics.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:34 AM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I use the Porter Cable 6" orbital var speed sander, I use the vel/crow pads, 1 for wax and the other for buff out, I am like you my sholders wont take the abuse either