Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2009, 01:17 AM   #1
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Joshua Tree NP area?

We will be working our way to Q via hwy 62 which goes through Yucca Valley and Twenty Nine Palms. We would like to overnight somewhere in this area. Does anyone live in that area that could steer us in the right direction?

Does anyone know about the size limitations on trailers in Joshua Tree park? We don't need hookups just a safe place to park O/N. Any assistance would be appreciated.

HamRad

HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:10 AM   #2
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Dennis,

We stayed at Black Rock Canyon in the Northwest Corner of the Park in Yucca Valley. There are only a few sights large enough for our Big Sky. We called and a ranger told us which sites would work.

Check Here

See you in Q
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:51 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Jo-Anna and David,
Thank you. That is the kind of info I was seeking. I think we'll give that a shot on our way to Q.

See you soon,
Dennis and Mary Kay
Old 12-31-2009, 11:36 AM   #4
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
We stayed at Jumbo Rocks a couple of years ago and didn't have any problem with our rig.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:58 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The CGs in Joshua are mostly primitive and small, but you can find a site large enough. Here's a link to start with about the camping limits (i.e. dump stations, water and length). None have hookups and it can get wicked cold at night and very windy!

http://www.nps.gov/jotr/planyourvisit/camping.htm

There are also PLENTY of campgrounds with full hookups south of JTNP in Palm Desert, Palm Springs, etc, but it's a few hours drive daily to visit so getting something in the Park is much better. There are probably some CGs between Yucca and 29 Palms but I have never tried to look. These would be much closer.

NOTE: There are some very steep parts of Hwy 62 from I-10 heading into Yucca Valley, so towing Monty through there will be slow. There is a 2nd passing lane, but I mention this because the semi trucks might be going even slower through there and if you get adventurous enough to pass, please use some caution. Some of the locals don't like slow rigs passing slow rigs.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:10 PM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Thanks for the info regarding over-nighting in and around the Yucca Valley area.

Art we will be coming from the Barstow area. There are only a couple of 'mountains' to get over and I only pass other vehicles when traveling on the freeways so the "locals" won't have to worry about me.

Travel Safely,
HamRad
Old 12-31-2009, 02:46 PM   #7
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
HamRad

When we stayed at Joshua Tree we camped at Belle Campground site #4.
The picture in our signature is that exact location. Also stayed in 29 Palms for a few days. Be sure and check out all the rock climbers.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:52 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dennis and Sharon,
I like the site you were in. How far from highway 62 was it? If you remember. And was any of the road paved? It would appear from your picture that you had ample room and you were not on top of your neighbor.

Thanks for information. See you soon.
Dennis and Mary Kay
Old 01-01-2010, 03:12 PM   #9
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
Dennis

We took the east entrance in to the park, the one that goes in from the town of Twenty Nine Palms, and Bella's not far from there. All paved roads. There were several sites that are more than adequate for the bigger rigs and some are quite spacious. They have strict rules on generator use there. Two hours three times a day. As stated, it can get coolish at night there. Watch out for them "Cholla" cactus, they jump out at ya.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote