Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2004, 03:46 PM   #1
Montana_1892
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1892
More sanitary hose storage

Hi,
Every get to a new site, only to find that the sewer connection is about three feet further than you have sewer hose and moving the 5er just is not the best solution.
i solved this by adding to my sewer hose iventory. i did this by removing the original sewer hose pipe from the front of the 5er. i then cut off the cap and last few inches of the pipe. went to home depot and got a ten foot length of pipe and a coupling. drilled some hole in the bottom to let the water out and attached this to the end of the original sewer hose pipe.
remounted the combined unit to the underside, only this time i ran it from front to real instead of side to side. on a 3670 this ends just before the first axle. using pumber tape and self tapping screw, secured the pipe to the cross members, you can see the screws from where they hold the bottom cover on, a few of the screws that held the bottom cover on were even usable to hold this new pipe. And around the holding tank sewer line.
about 2500 miles with my new arrangement and no problems, and yes it is a little more difficult to get the hose in and out, as it involves more bending and such, but i can carry enough hose to get to almost any sewer connection point. i can even carry a shortly in addition to the long hose, for quick stops next to a dump station.

Montana_1892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 05:51 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Because you are so ingenious, I think you would appreciate the "Sewer Solution". This gismo does a really fine job of dumping and cleaning. Less mess -- better results.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 03:25 PM   #3
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I just added a second sewer hose carrier.If I need more hose I just add the second section.Seldom do I need the second section but comes in handy at times
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 10:54 AM   #4
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for the great ideas. Happyrving......
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 06:58 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grey-ghost

Hi,
Every get to a new site, only to find that the sewer connection is about three feet further than you have sewer hose and moving the 5er just is not the best solution.
i solved this by adding to my sewer hose iventory. i did this by removing the original sewer hose pipe from the front of the 5er. i then cut off the cap and last few inches of the pipe. went to home depot and got a ten foot length of pipe and a coupling. drilled some hole in the bottom to let the water out and attached this to the end of the original sewer hose pipe.
remounted the combined unit to the underside, only this time i ran it from front to real instead of side to side. on a 3670 this ends just before the first axle. using pumber tape and self tapping screw, secured the pipe to the cross members, you can see the screws from where they hold the bottom cover on, a few of the screws that held the bottom cover on were even usable to hold this new pipe. And around the holding tank sewer line.
about 2500 miles with my new arrangement and no problems, and yes it is a little more difficult to get the hose in and out, as it involves more bending and such, but i can carry enough hose to get to almost any sewer connection point. i can even carry a shortly in addition to the long hose, for quick stops next to a dump station.
I purchased two 10 ft pieces of white 4-inch PVC sewer pipe, cut both pieces to 84", added a threaded collar to each end and screwed in a cap to each end. I installed both new pipes parallel to the one that comes with the rig (across the underbelly of the rig). Using 1/4" self-tapping screws, I attached both pipes to the frame on both sides.

Prior to mounting and drilling, I drilled two 1-inch holes in the bottom of the pipes directly below the rig frame (one hole on each side). This allowed me to use my drill with extension to reach through the pipe to drill a small pilot hole in the frame in both places. It was then only a small task to mount the pipes using the 1/4" self-tapping screws. The two 1" holes also allow for moisture to escape.

I'm able to store all my sewer hoses (30 ft) plus a lot of my sewer connection paraphenalia. Works for me.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 07:08 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Grey-ghost, thanks for a great tip. While some of us have added a second container (I'm considering a third, but not until in warmer weather), you have provided another alternative. Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 08:55 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I added one of the 64" hose carriers from CW and will be adding a second before moving from our presen location.
At this CG and the previous CG I need 30 feet of sewer hose to make my connection. Thankfully I already had 40 feet on board.

I learned a lesson on sewer hook ups awhile back. Got to a CG and needed nearly 40 feet of sewer hose. I hated having to run to Wally World before being able to complete my hook up so I now carry...
1- 20' & 2- 10' sewer hoses.
3- Straight couplers...for joining 2 hoses together
2- Pushover couplers
1- Threaded 90 degree elbow...sewer hose to sewer pipe
2- Straight Hose adapters...Attaches 3" sewer hose to RV dump valve
2- Caps with Hose Connector...To cap the RV dump. Hate to travel with the cap not on so I keep a spare just in case.
1- Clear 45 degree elbow...Connects to the RV dump valve. Clear so I know when to stop flushing.
1- Clear 10" Adapter...Used in conjunction with the Clear elbow to bring the hose connection out past the tire. For those sewer connections where the CG sewer pipe is behing the trailer
1- Foam Rubber Sewer Seal
1- Slunky sewer hose support
1- Telescoping hose support
The 20' hose and the Telescoping hose support all go into the hose carrier. The 2 10' hoses stay in the little sewer hose compartment. The Slunky stays in the box it came in. They rest of the adapters, etc are kept in one of those plastic filing boxes. The filing box sits very nicely aside of the gray and black dump valves

I do have some other sewer odds and ends but I think you get my point.
If the CG has a sewer hook up I'm gonna hook up without having to run after something.

And if you think thats a lot you should see my electrical and freshwater hook up stuff.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 11:48 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Like Glenn and Lorraine, we added a second hose carrier and are planning to add a third. We, too, carry several hoses. We have a 25' hose, a couple of 20's and a couple of 10's. The 25' is our "winter hose". It's a heavy duty made of a heavier material and is better able to withstand snow and ice better.

Another thing we discovered.. It seemed too many hoses developed pinhole leaks. When it developed a hole, it was not just one but usually a whole series of holes. I noticed it always was along the wire coil rib. Finally it dawned on me when I dump the tanks that hose shimmies around, rubbing against gravel, concrete, whatever it is sitting on. So now I always use a support unless the hose is on soft grass with no rocks. Haven't had one spring a leak now in the 20 months we've been fulltiming. That's about the time we started always using supports.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:06 PM   #9
Montana_1197
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1197
To support our hose I've tried those graduated slinky things and always seemed to have trouble with them falling over. (probably operator trouble, but...). Finally I got a 10' 4" PVC pipe, cut it into 2-5' length then cut them in half length-wise. This gave me 4 5' pieces to lay out to support the hose. Used bungy cords and a couple short V-notched 2x6's for support. Used the setup only once, it worked great.
Montana_1197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 05:52 AM   #10
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
i did simular but used 10' plastic rain gutter and hook it together.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 07:29 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I used to use the Slunky but had trouble with it falling over, too. Plus I got tired of having to use those ties to hold it on the Slunky. So I tried the Sidewinder ( http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...51&prodID=3992 and like it much better. No need to tie the hose down to it and it goes up, over, and around obstacles. I also have two of the 10' aluminum expanding supports for shorter runs or if I need more than 25' the Sidewinder provides.

I would like to have the pvc type some of you mentioned but as loaded as our basement is it would not be easy to carry it.