Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GIRLS gone MOC > What's cooking?
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2009, 07:52 AM   #1
PackersBackers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8100
Red Fish Recipes

We're here on Mustang Island in Texas and my husband usually catches Red Fish, which I am not a big fan of. I think they have a muddy taste even though they come from the ocean. You must know that I am not a big fish lover to begin with. I do love salmon, halibut (AK is our second home)perch, walleye, bluegill, bass and crappie. Does anyone have a good recipe for red fish as we will be here a month or more and I have to have some variation when fixing the fish, plus something I can tolerate eating?? Many thanks!

PackersBackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:30 AM   #2
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Do a Google Search for "Recipes Redfish" Lots of them out there. Find one that sounds good to you?! Or, batter fry it and it'll taste just like walleye?!!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:56 PM   #3
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
I lived near the Texas coast for many years and caught many redfish. Personally there are lots of other fish that I prefer to eat than a redfish, but they fight like a bulldog. I'm not sure how much the different ways of cooking a redfish can change the taste. The one piece of advice I will offer is how much attention is given to cleaning. I always filleted the fish, then I would remove the dark streak in the middle of the fillet and any other dark areas that might have been left on the fish. Try soaking in milk for about 30 minutes before cooking. Hope this helps.....I preferred the speckled trout and flounder.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:29 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
The dark stripe is the "gamey" tasting part of the fish. Remove it on any fish and you will get a better tasting fish.

Try this: Using tin foil, make a "boat" out of a large piece of tin foil. Put the fish in the tin foil. Add tomatoes, onions, spices to your liking and then close the tin foil around it all. Stoke up the barbie and get some good coals going. When ready, put the fish that is inside the tin foil on the grill and cook for about 20 minutes. It comes out nice and baked and flavorfull.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:41 AM   #5
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
We usually grill large Reds on the "half shell". DW has a concoction of olive oil, lime juice, and garlic that she marinates them in. I can only stand so much of that though. My personal opinion; fish were made to be fried. Here's a picture of the last one I grilled. It was 29.5" and she caught it from the bank Christmas night here at our RV Park. Picture looks kind of smudgy, but the fog was like soup.

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:15 AM   #6
PackersBackers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8100
Thanks for the suggestions. We will try them all. My husband has hunted and fished all his life. He cleans his own fish and butchers his own game. (My mother once told me never to learn how to clean fish or game and I listened, for a change. HA. I do freezer wrap the critters and fish... does that count?). I'll try to tactfully mention the dark stripe because he doesn't take suggestions well when it comes to "man" things like cleaning fish. Sound familiar to anyone?
PackersBackers is offline   Reply With Quote