Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2013, 04:49 AM   #1
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Changing a Flat

To date I have never had a flat tire on the camper thank goodness! I use TST to monitor tires as we travel and it has saved us once to date. If and when we do have a flat what kind of distance is there left between the axel and ground? I carry a 12ton hydraulic pump to raise the axle it has a height of 9 inches. If the flat tire drops the wheel to the ground I'm sure the pump jack would be to tall, or will the springs keep the wheel off the ground?

Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:06 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Tire changing is another one of those personal preference, controversial subjects. Having changed tires on the rig, I will relate the procedure that I have always used. I always carry crib blocks in the truck bed with me. The occasions that I have had to change a tire (flat or otherwise), I use the crib blocks to support the frame. I jack the frame in the area closest to the flat and then add the crib blocks to support the frame. I then move the jack beneath the spring hanger of the axle to jack up the tire to be removed. Do not put the jack on the axle tube as it can bend very easily. I also use a bottle jack but it is only about six inches high when retracted fully and I suspect that your jack will indeed be too tall. If you measure the height to the spring hangers and then subtract the tire profile, you will be in the ballpark of whether your jack will go beneath it. After changing the tire, I then lower the jack and move it back to the frame to raise it to remove the crib blocks. I will say that I have to use crib blocks under the jack as well to reach the frame. I believe the above is the recommended procedure, and I know that I am comfortable with it. Hope it helps.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:22 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I have a 12 ton bottle and I use it to jack on the frame ONLY. I do not jack on the axle or springs. I also carry two 3 ton Jack Stand. I use one to support the frame once I have reached the max extension of the bottle jack to get the second reach on the bottle jack to eventually get the tire off the ground.
Good luck and safe travels.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:52 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hi,
Here is a picture of the jack and boards to lift the side where you can change the wheel.
Also pictures of a tool I made.

https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue13/JackingMontana?authuser=0&feat=directlink
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:36 AM   #5
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Not trying to be a smart arse, but I can't help myself. I use Good Sam's Road Side Service, personally. Ok, I'll go set in the corner now.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:41 AM   #6
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Alwims

Not trying to be a smart arse, but I can't help myself. I use Good Sam's Road Side Service, personally. Ok, I'll go set in the corner now.
I'm glad you said it before I did
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:06 AM   #7
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
We also use Good Sam road service. I'll let the people who know how to do it and have the right tools do it. That way if anything goes wrong they are the ones liable.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #8
GreatWhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13339
Fortunately, I've only had one flat and unfortunately, didn't have a jack with me. But I did have something like this.. I don't know the name of the one I have, but it's like an big aluminum teardrop. Works like a CHARM. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...iler-aid/10867

The reason I really like this type of jacking is that if you are on uneven ground.. such as pulling off the road and there is a down slope, you will have 3 wheels on the ground to prevent slipping. If you use a jack you have the two opposite side wheels on the ground and a bottle jack on the side you are working on. That's not safe for me unless you are working on flat ground. YMMV.
GreatWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #9
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Quote "I'll let the people who know how to do it and have the right tools do it." My gosh ... in today's world of "world class laymen" there sure are a few trusting owners out there! What can some do other than roll the dice. Granted you have to have the mental reasoning not to place a jack under the middle of your axle, but ... I jack right under the springs with no issue. You'll put more strain on your fiver trying to hoist the entire side of the camper up to get a wheel off the ground, but to each his own. You're only jacking up approx #3000 at the end of any axle. Should your tire be totally flat causing your bottle jack to be too tall ... your truck scissor jack will easily work in a pinch.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
In the second picture, Ozz shows that a jack is under the U-bolt to lift the trailer. However, if this is the only place you can jack up the trailer, then the U-bolt is the place to pick. DO NOT under any circumstances raise the trailer at any part of the axle.

Then somewhere later you might want to check the torque on the u-bolt nuts.

That is a very clever gadget Ozz created (am I surprised?) and I hope it spans both u-bolts and raises the axle via both u-bolts. This would be good for an emergency situation where you don't have blocks and large jacks to raise from the frame which is considered the best raising position.

I have only raised an axle on my Monty using this method one time and I did it from the U-bolt. All maintenance work at home I used blocks and jacks on the frame.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks Art. You are a nice boy
Here is the way I figure it on the Good Sam deal, Some service guys are good, some are great, some are a waste of Oxygen. You may get any of the three. You may not get any at all for a long time, depending on where your flat is.
I can get mine changed by the time they get one of the three started on the call, or when he finishes the call he is on.
Prepare, prepare prepare. Carry wood blocking, carry a cheater for the breaker bar you should have, I use my torque wrench with a socket I carry for the lug nuts, I carry a tarp to lay on, a blanket to lay on the tarp. I can use the Inverter to power my Impact tool, or the Honda Generator. I also carry two bottle jacks, because I am me... ???
I do understand why many would just make the call, health reasons, and the desire just to not do it. So I am not coming down on you fine folks.
I hope I helped you Dennis, with the photo of the blocks, that is the distance you need with the bottle jack.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #12
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
We've had more flats than anybody I know. I've changed them myself using a wood block ramp under the good tire to lift the flat, jack under the spring and roadside service. I finally decided to let Mary do it. She uses a cellphone.
PS- I still carry the stuff needed tho.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #13
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Sure did Oz. I'm sure we both have been changing tires before we had license? Last time I had Sam's Club rotate and balance tires they wanted to rise the whole truck by lifting just under the cab. That would leave the weight of the fuel tank, rear end and bed hanging on the frame behind the cab. I then had to stop them and persuade them to move the lift more toward the rear of the truck. I wouldn't call them experts but I guess they do it like that all day long!

I've raised the axle to many times with brakes and bearings with a good tires. If with a flat the wheel ends up on the ground and doesn't get supported by the remaining good tire looks like I'll need a shorter jack. One more trip to Harbor Freight.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #14
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
I carry the tools to change a flat tire and that's what I used to do when the trip only lasted three weeks. When I retired a couple years ago, someone once told me that if you get a flat, call roadside assistance then go inside the RV, pop in a movie and relax. So, that's what I plan to do . When the "tire tech" gets to my rig, OH YEA, I'll be putting the movie on pause and make sure he (or she) is doin' it right.
By the way, that roll-up jack ramp the OP shows has drawn some concerns from others RVers. They say it puts undue stress on the other tire (the one up on the ramp). Not having used one, I can't really say. (Sorry, it was not the OP but rather another poster referencing an item at CW).
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #15
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I thought the Lippert 6 point system was for changing tires.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #16
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
I made a bracket for my jack after Ozz posted his a while back. I use it and love it! I have seen tire guys put a air jack under the center of a axel to jack it up "MY AXEL" not so. Had a friend have a flat last yr on I-75 rite outside atlanta at 11 pm called road side and they rushed rite out there 3hrs later and changed it for him so I am with Ozz I will pull over somewhere and change mine myself. just sayin.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:56 AM   #17
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
I use a ramp jack. I use it with the theory that all the trailer weight is on the good tire anyway in the event of a flat. What changes using the ramp jack? Maybe a bit of lateral force. I know that using the ramp jack is quick and I feel safe.

Joe
brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:36 AM   #18
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
I use a 8 ton jack that fits nicely under the u-bolt section when tire is down or flat. Have completed this procedure on many trailers including duallies with no problems or danger (emergency brake on and other tandem wheel on trailer chocked). The are many times when you may be off road or in the woods that all these blocks may not be available. The important procedure is: do it in a safe manner to ensure that axle will not come down when that wheel is off!!
At home and in the shop we block and lift with a 20 ton jack from the frame immediately in front of or behind the wheel that is to be removed. We have a total of 5 various trailers on the farm, so with 20 tires and wheels there is always a repair to do because of the application and terrain encountered. I always take caution when working with wheels and tires plus it is nice to have a helping hand when in the stranded situation.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:58 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Helen was having trouble changing the tires so I got the GS road service. Had to use it twice last year and she was grateful
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:40 AM   #20
lestx
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11197
Does the TV need to be hook up to the Monty or can you jack up and remove a tire for sevice without the TV.
Thanks
Les
lestx is offline   Reply With Quote