Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2011, 06:56 AM   #1
01RAMer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7316
New member of C-bomb club

Heading to Chincoteague, VA over the weekend and "POW". Looking in the driver's mirror I see debris flying around. Rear trailer wheel let go. It was a Mission tire that still had 8/32 tread on it. I read a lot about these tires and now I'm a believer. The blowout went straight out threw the tread and split the sidewall down to the bead on both sides. Hands full of rubber crumbs were laying everywhere. I have no idea where that came from. About a foot length of cord whipped around chewing up sheetmetal. Luckily it only bent the galley dump rod about 90 degrees and the plastic T-handle was still on the rod. I was able to almost straighten the rod back out to the point it still works.

Any idea where I can get replacement sheetmetal to fix the area around the rear tire (driver's side)?

01RAMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:08 AM   #2
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
I had the same problem last month with an 07 Tire.
I hammered and bent the 3' of damaged skirt metal back into reasonable shape using clamps, a piece of steel channel and a hammer.
A set of Body tools would have made it nicer looking..
About a foot of the plastic fender was demolished, so I got a new fender from ICON in Canada.
Used Rustoleum White Auto Spray Paint and painted it all. Only close inspections will reveal the "wrinkles/dents" I left in the skirt sheet metal after beating on it.
Not worth it to me having an insurance claim or having the dealer redo the whole thing...
Good luck!
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
You can probably contact your dealer or Keystone and get the piece of sheet metal you need already formed.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:48 AM   #4
01RAMer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7316
Thanks for the suggestions. I found what looks like a black plastic panel with turned up edges that is about a foot square. I saw another take flight when the thing blew. Any idea where the two plastic panels go around the left rear tire?
Old 09-20-2011, 06:50 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I believe you are referring to the inside pieces that act as a fender well?? You should be able to look at the other side of the rig to get an idea of the configuration.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:31 AM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I don't know what your deductible is, but your insurance should cover repairs. I am assuming that the damage is cosmetic. I had damage to both sides of my former rig. The total bill for both was around $5,000. My deductible was $100 per event, so that was $200 to put it back into shape, my cost.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:22 AM   #7
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
You got a deal!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

I don't know what your deductible is, but your insurance should cover repairs. I am assuming that the damage is cosmetic. I had damage to both sides of my former rig. The total bill for both was around $5,000. My deductible was $100 per event, so that was $200 to put it back into shape, my cost.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:56 PM   #8
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
I just repaired one of the plastic blanks that was hanging on with one screw on mine. it was the one behind the right side rear tire it had 3 screws but 2 were missing. I think you could make one with a pc of alum I keep a pc in the camper for that reason you can get a pc at lowes or HD thats where I get mine.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:00 AM   #9
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
I traded off lower insurance expense for a $1000 deductable as part of my risk calculation (liklihood vs consequences).
If I had remembered I still had ONE non-new BFG tire I would almost certainly have avoided the tire failure...
I did let insurance pay for a new roof.
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:01 AM   #10
01RAMer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7316
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

I believe you are referring to the inside pieces that act as a fender well?? You should be able to look at the other side of the rig to get an idea of the configuration.
Bingo
I checked the other side and there is no panels that I see like the one that I found, I guess because of the large livingroom slide.

I looked over the damage behind the left rear wheel, and I see where there use to be screws up under the frame. It appears there were two panels back to back, with the bottom of the panels attached to the sheet metal that runs down behind the plastic wheel trim piece back to the frame. I assume that is where it is suppost to go. I don't really see a purpose for them other than to keep the sheet metal running down underneath ridgid.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:06 AM   #11
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
PM Bill-N-Donna, they have the same rig, and can get you a pic to make sure of what is there, unless someone else can post a pic earlier. Just a thought, but a picture would definitely help.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote