Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Trailer axle alignment/Uneven Tire Wear

I'm bringing my Monty in next week for a warranty repair on a leaking hydraulic piston.

While its there I'm going to ask them to diagnose and repair(hopefully) an issue I'm having with uneven wear on my G614's.

Unit was purchased new in March of this year and I put 8,000 miles on it this spring and summer. Most of it on one 11 week trip.

When I arrived home from that trip I noticed that the inside edges of both tires on the driver side were heavily worn - a concave worn area around the whole tire on the inside edge. The extreme inside edge about 3/4" - 7/8" wide.

Those of you who have G614's know that both outside edges have a wide flat treadless area - well it's about 1/2 of that flat area on the inside edge of the tire.

On my passenger side I have a similar wear pattern - again on the inside edge - but it is only slight. the driver side is noticeable from 5' away.

Anyway - I'n going to CW for my hydraulic piston replacement so if anybody has thoughts, comments suggestions, I'd like to tap the knowledge base before I go.

I would have expected some odd wear patterns on opposite tires with allignment issues but it seems the lions share is on one side.

Anyone else have this sort of wear pattern? If so what was it?

I've heard that G614's can exhibit odd wear patterns - this however is pretty severe for 8k miles. Anyone with G614's have odd wear.

Anyone have alignment work done at a CW?

My tire wear otherwise seems normal... no concave or convex wear on the treads that would indicate over or under inflation.

I run them about 102 - 105 psi and my trailer is loaded at gross wt 15,000lbs

I run tire monitors and tires all seem to run similar temps - the ones in the sun are always a bit warmer but nothing out of the ordinary.

Thoughts??

Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
You probably have negative camber on that side. When properly aligned, a trailer generally has 1/8" toe-in with 3/4 degree positive camber on the street side and 1/2 degree positive camber on the curb side for both axles. Although not extremely accurate, put a level on the tires while the fiver sits near level ... the tops of the tires should lean out slightly. My 3150 had good toe in on the front axle ... toe out on the rear and negative camber on both axles all the way around straight from the factory. It was wearing the inside of the tires as well as the rear misalignment was scuffing the tread all the way across. I had it aligned at Atlas Spring and Axle in Wichita 2 years ago (Keystone paid for it) ... aside from dumping the Marabombs, the tires have shown little to no sign of wear since. Depending on what is found ... you might as well push for new axles since it is so new. I'd wager CW will just take it down the road to a business qualified at alignment of trailers. CW is not on many of our recommended service centers.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:38 AM   #3
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

CW is not on many of our recommended service centers.
Thanks for the info. Is the camber the adjustment where they would actually bend the axle to correct or is it adjustable without jacks and chains?

The CW I'm going to is actually a long time RV dealership that just became a franchise this year. Never been there before but since they are close to Raleigh I'm hoping that they have a bigger talent pool to draw from and will provide competent work.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and of course report back when all done.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:03 AM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Camber on trailer axles is similar to the old Ford Twin I-Beams as far as alignment ... chains and jacks. Some fear this process although it's been practiced since "Moby Dick was a Guppie". The service manager said mine were good stong tubes and the alignment should stay ... it has for a bit over 2 years. Some fear the axle tubes will be smashed or damaged ... not unless the facility is clueless to what they are doing. Good Luck as far as getting all your issues resolved.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:25 AM   #5
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Thanks.. I thought they still used the Flintstones method :-)

If they don't get it fixed I'll be asking for a new set of G614's. Replacing those tires is not cheap. If we can stop the progression of the wear they'll be fine - if not I don't know if they would last another 8,000 miles.