Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2015, 11:38 AM   #1
stengels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14162
Send a message via AIM to stengels
Texas Toll Roads

Heading to TX at the end of December for a month at La Hacienda in Austin. I know I can get a tag for the TV, but wondering what to do when I have the rig attached? Seems like the application is for either non-commercial (2 axle) or commercial (3 axle or more). Anyone familiar with the tag program, and how to order the correct tag? Was through there 2 years ago without a tag, figured they would send me the tab, but never received one. May have been that I changed home location and registration state.

Old 10-31-2015, 02:40 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
What tag are you talking about? I've driven through Texas numerous times and never needed any extra tag as long as the unit is licensed in my home State and I'm assuming yours is licensed in SD.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 02:43 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I'm puzzled also. Never had a problem with Tx toll roads, but those around OK City have caused me problems several times.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 03:17 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
There are a number of toll roads in TX. You can just drive them and they will photo your license plate and send a bill for the toll to the registered address of the plate. Or you can get a toll tag with a transmitter, keep at least a minimum deposit in your account, and the toll plazas get a signal from the tag and draw from your account. The advantage of the toll tag is that the toll amount is about 60% of the non tag rate.

I have them in our vehicles. But I don't know what they would do with the trailer on so that their cameras could not see the truck's rear plate
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:40 PM   #5
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Went on Colorado I-470 this past July, and had never heard of camera toll systems. About 2 months later, there was a bill for both the pickup and the trailer, license plate info for both. So I guess they have cameras looking in both directions
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:56 PM   #6
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
A Tx-Tag is cheaper then getting a bill in the mail. It mail cost you more but some of our toll roads, IE I-130 around Austin, is well worth the price, especially towing a trailer....
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 02:33 AM   #7
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

There are a number of toll roads in TX. You can just drive them and they will photo your license plate and send a bill for the toll to the registered address of the plate. Or you can get a toll tag with a transmitter, keep at least a minimum deposit in your account, and the toll plazas get a signal from the tag and draw from your account. The advantage of the toll tag is that the toll amount is about 60% of the non tag rate.

I have them in our vehicles. But I don't know what they would do with the trailer on so that their cameras could not see the truck's rear plate
We have been through Dallas several times and used the toll roads. I was told they will film you, but not mail you a bill until you accumulate enough charges to warrant the administrative expense of sending the bill. To date, we've received no bill.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:06 AM   #8
stengels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14162
Send a message via AIM to stengels
Thanks BB and steelpony. Just the information I was looking for. Wanted to get the TX-Tag to benefit from the savings. I'll just keep an adequate amount on the tag and if I overdo it, they can send me a bill. Will only be pulling rig into and out of Austin, but when pulling 4 axles, the savings is even greater. The more time I spend in TX, the better I'll get on these things. Kerrville and Spring for the last 2 winters have been great.