Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2014, 07:13 AM   #1
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
Send a message via MSN to Ramblin Roadrunners
NEW 2014 BIG SKY on Keystone web site

I just went to Keystone website and the new 2014 Big Sky in posted. I havn't looked at it. I will post comments in a little while.

Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:41 AM   #2
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
WOW!!! More than I said was coming.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:42 AM   #3
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
This looks like a copy of the late model 2014 Red Wood.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:09 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
According to the brochure, G-rated tires, which means that previous reports were premature? I like the dishwasher island, like the flooring (but pictures would be nice). Surely they will offer a front living room model (coming soon pics do not indicate so)? Outside television location could be problematic since it is not under center of awning (rainy, windy days?). Still very happy with ours but will anxiously await pictures to see what ideas we can "borrow"!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:17 AM   #5
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
Maybe the H rated tire will be an option.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:18 AM   #6
MDL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13959
Also just looked, here's the link..
http://www.keystonerv.com/media/8601...flyer_2014.pdf
MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:24 AM   #7
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
The outside TV entertainment is located inside a cabnet backing up to the dinette set. That is the only place they could put it unless the moved the theather chairs out from the wall a little. It would still the tv near the other edge of awning. Same problem on both sides.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:36 AM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ramblin Roadrunners

The outside TV entertainment is located inside a cabnet backing up to the dinette set. That is the only place they could put it unless the moved the theather chairs out from the wall a little. It would still the tv near the other edge of awning. Same problem on both sides.
Exactly,
On our 3850 with the outside entertainment center, the cabinet is located at the middle of the awning and is protected from the elements. The only thing marine rated in the cabinet is the speakers. Wind blown rain is not very electronic friendly. But, it is like with any model, there are features that will be disliked but will be offset by the features that are liked. Of course, not everyone uses the entertainment center as their "man cave" for relief from women-folk like I do, regardless of the weather!! I really do not think there is any "perfect" fits-all needs rigs available. There is always some trade-off. Still can't wait to see pictures.
Bingo
Old 01-03-2014, 04:08 PM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We're not expecting to be in the market for a few years yet, but it appears they are finally getting a rig together that would tempt us.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:21 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
They did not do a suspension upgrade. If they wanted a premium unit it should have the Mor Ryde Is or equivalent.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:36 AM   #11
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Or at least the option to have the unit sent up to Mor/ryde for the IS. When we were there this past spring they had a staging lot just down the street with approx half a dozen units waiting for the install. None of the units had any brand labels installed yet, so don't know what brands there were.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:59 AM   #12
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
Wonder what the price is now? I bet $110-125 is my guess.

Scott
scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:07 AM   #13
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
The Keystone Rep. told me probably $10,000 or less at retail. At normal discounts $7000 - $7500 more than a previous Big Sky.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:12 AM   #14
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by scott-pati

Wonder what the price is now? I bet $110-125 is my guess.
I would say that is a good guess for MSRP depending on options. The MSRP for our Big Sky with the add on options (generator, washer/dryer, dishwasher, sleep number bed, satellite dish, and all available options) was in that range.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:37 PM   #15
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
I know when I was looking at the SOB, their full body paint was an $8k upgrade. That was the single biggest jump in price.

Scott

scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:21 PM   #16
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I am one who does not care what Keystone does to the visible improvements to any one of their products. It will be the frosty Friday in Hades before I buy another Montana.

Add all the "improvements" that should have been there in the first place, like proper rated tires, suspension, this list goes on and on. Until they do what is necessary to have the product at the end of the production line be the best it can be as far as "Quality Control" and "Workmanship" they will never sell me another Montana.

Those that make excuses, stating it is a moving home subjected to all kinds of conditions our S&B's are not, maintenance is required whether a Montana or a regular home, along with upkeep. Phooey! There is "NO" excuse for poor workmanship or quality of the build. If you could absolutely not prevent tanks from failing, frame flex, walls separating, these kinds of things, then we can tolerate excuses, otherwise don't make them.

I bought a 5th wheel intended to be hauled around the countryside to enjoy either part time living or extended living, that is what Keystone and others make, they just do not make it capable of doing this without major problems in a lot of cases.

If I had even a small portion of the problems I have had with my Montana on my new Dodge truck, I would "never" buy another Dodge nor would I ever recommend it to anyone. There will be no recommendations from me with respect to Keystone until they fix the quality of the units they build, and we all know I am not talking about aesthetics that we all can see.

There is absolutely no temptation on my part to remotely consider one of these units, I will keep what I have, now that I know the devil within.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:10 PM   #17
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Irlpguy

I am one who does not care what Keystone does to the visible improvements to any one of their products. It will be the frosty Friday in Hades before I buy another Montana.

Add all the "improvements" that should have been there in the first place, like proper rated tires, suspension, this list goes on and on. Until they do what is necessary to have the product at the end of the production line be the best it can be as far as "Quality Control" and "Workmanship" they will never sell me another Montana.

Those that make excuses, stating it is a moving home subjected to all kinds of conditions our S&B's are not, maintenance is required whether a Montana or a regular home, along with upkeep. Phooey! There is "NO" excuse for poor workmanship or quality of the build. If you could absolutely not prevent tanks from failing, frame flex, walls separating, these kinds of things, then we can tolerate excuses, otherwise don't make them.

I bought a 5th wheel intended to be hauled around the countryside to enjoy either part time living or extended living, that is what Keystone and others make, they just do not make it capable of doing this without major problems in a lot of cases.

If I had even a small portion of the problems I have had with my Montana on my new Dodge truck, I would "never" buy another Dodge nor would I ever recommend it to anyone. There will be no recommendations from me with respect to Keystone until they fix the quality of the units they build, and we all know I am not talking about aesthetics that we all can see.

There is absolutely no temptation on my part to remotely consider one of these units, I will keep what I have, now that I know the devil within.

So I wonder what "your purpose is hanging around Montana's " that you obvisouly hate. Not sure what you own, how you used it, etc. I wound never hang around a site dedicated to products I hated? My feeling is simple. You have set yourself up for failure. Your expectations are either too high or your just one of those people who can't be pleased? I would never go through life that way! It's puts into question all your past posts. Sorry, but I needed to say it! No need to argue, your expectations on a less than $100,000 RV's are not reasonable. It's just not reasonable! I left another RV site because of individuals spewing vitriol and negativity. I am a positive happy successful guy, who prefers not to buy in to "personal vendettas"! Sell your rig and buy something else. Very simple solution!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #18
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
And as always some must agree to disagree. I have always been happy, impressed and enjoyed all three of our Montana's! Did they have problems, sure, were some problems self-induced, sure, were some the fault of the manufacturer, sure. Were they "major" problems? Evidently not, or we would not be owning our third one. Expectations are relative to one's personality, some are reasonable, some are not. Our expectations have been met and exceeded by the Montana's that we have been proud to haul down the road behind our truck. I really like the analogy of a boat that was posted somewhere. As a boat owner and knowing the inherent cost of boat ownership, perhaps that is what buffers what I personally feel is the inherent cost of RV ownership as well. I fully anticipate thousands of dollars a year to keep my boat operable, and I guess that tempers the times I have to do the same on our Montana. My opinion has not been changed by reading of problems that others have, but rather is based on my personal experience and my personal satisfaction of whatever we are blessed to be able to call our own!
If specific problems and solutions are brought up, then that contributes to the knowledge of all on the forum. Generalized statements that serve no purpose other than to express one's dissatisfaction, while probably truthful, do not contribute to the knowledge base, other than the person who posts them. Sorry, but that is the way I feel!
Bingo

Old 01-04-2014, 04:33 PM   #19
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

And as always some must agree to disagree. I have always been happy, impressed and enjoyed all three of our Montana's! Did they have problems, sure, were some problems self-induced, sure, were some the fault of the manufacturer, sure. Were they "major" problems? Evidently not, or we would not be owning our third one. Expectations are relative to one's personality, some are reasonable, some are not. Our expectations have been met and exceeded by the Montana's that we have been proud to haul down the road behind our truck. I really like the analogy of a boat that was posted somewhere. As a boat owner and knowing the inherent cost of boat ownership, perhaps that is what buffers what I personally feel is the inherent cost of RV ownership as well. I fully anticipate thousands of dollars a year to keep my boat operable, and I guess that tempers the times I have to do the same on our Montana. My opinion has not been changed by reading of problems that others have, but rather is based on my personal experience and my personal satisfaction of whatever we are blessed to be able to call our own!
If specific problems and solutions are brought up, then that contributes to the knowledge of all on the forum. Generalized statements that serve no purpose other than to express one's dissatisfaction, while probably truthful, do not contribute to the knowledge base, other than the person who posts them. Sorry, but that is the way I feel!
Bingo
Bingo there is a difference! Someone who outright rejects the product forever, is not contributing! No changing their mind. I guess someone telling you everyday what an idiot you were for buying a specific brand, works for some? Not me, I think we both agree? Last but not least, I disclose what I own in my profile, those that don't, make it hard to relate to their ownership experience. Hope I did not offend anyone, I needed to vent! Sorry also had edit issues! Lol
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:55 PM   #20
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Artemus Gordon

So I wonder what "your purpose is hanging around Montana's " that you obvisouly hate. Not sure what you own, how you used it, etc. I wound never hang around a site dedicated to products I hated? My feeling is simple. You have set yourself up for failure. Your expectations are either too high or your just one of those people who can't be pleased? I would never go through life that way! It's puts into question all your past posts. Sorry, but I needed to say it! No need to argue, your expectations on a less than $100,000 RV's are not reasonable. It's just not reasonable! I left another RV site because of individuals spewing vitriol and negativity. I am a positive happy successful guy, who prefers not to buy in to "personal vendettas"! Sell your rig and buy something else. Very simple solution!
Artemus there are many differences between you and I, for that I am most grateful. I have made many contributions to other Montana owners in dealing with their problems and have learned some things I did not know on this forum. Benefits for all who belong.

I would not suggest to you what your expectations might be regarding an RV, boat or anything else, I really don't know nor do I care. Neither would I question your purchasing another Montana or continuing to own one should you express that you have no inclination to buy another unless improvements are made in quality control and workmanship. Your choice is not my concern, whether expressed here on this forum or around the campfire.

My comments are based on a personal choice and I should not be taken to task by you for expressing that choice on this or any other forum.

No argument here Artemus, you are just way out of line in your personal attack on me for my comments.

My Profile has presented the Montana I own as well as my truck from the day I joined this forum. For the benefit of conserving space I do not always use it.

Bingo, the majority of the problems I have had with my Montana have been previously stated here in the forum, there was no need to cover that yet again in my previous post. Unlike some folks I do not mention each and every problem that comes up. It amuses me that others have stated/suggested they would not purchase another Montana for the very reasons I stated and I am the only one jumped on.

I really am quite a happy fellow, been around a long time and am very comfortable in my own shoes. I will certainly continue to own/use my current Montana, I am not even complaining about it, just in case anyone missed that fact.....

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote