Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
Slide Problem

Hello all,

Presently my 2012 High Country is in the shop for what I thought was going to be for a slide adjustment... The main slide will go out but when fully extended the bottom of the inside trim is out about 1 1/2 inches when the top is flush against the wall... Standing outside at a distance from the front you can see the slide has a slight lean that coresponds with the casing being out on the bottom....

They have had the trailer for 2 weeks now so I called them to see what the status was where the service manager dropped a bomb on me they weren't sure what was wrong... He said the slide isn't out of adjustment because all the brackets go out to the end like they're supposed to but he aknowledged the casing inside was out like I said.... He went on to say that they were waiting to hear from the factory what to do because they felt that the whole slide may be out of square!

Has anyone seen this before and what corrective action fixed it?

Please don't say things like "that's why I don't like cable slides" or you're glad you have hydraulics because..... etc etc etc! Those kind of negatives doesn't answer my questions....

Thanks....

08UltraRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
When it comes to hearing about a slide being out of square, yes I have heard of this before maybe about 2 1/2 to 3 years ago. Since it's been a while I don't remember the cause or the fix, but I recall that someone reported one of their slides was akilter and they had to take it in to get looked at. I also don't remember the brand of trailer or in which forum I heard this.

Sorry I can't help any further than that, but just know you aren't alone, but it's rare.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #3
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Sorry I can't help any further than that, but just know you aren't alone, but it's rare.
That helps me more than you know because I feared this was a rare problem... I'm glad I'm not alone!

I also have a fear the factory is the only ones who can fix it!!! I hope I'm being overly paranoid on that one...

Thank you!
Old 11-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
A couple of questions and a couple of comments ... was the slide like this when you accepted delivery of your unit, or has this recently ocurred? I'm a little questioning of the dealers assessment that all the brackets go to the end like they are supposed to. The hydraulic cylinder has more stroke that needed on any brand of RV ... that's why the cylinder rods have a threaded end with jamb nuts for adjustment. Does the slide lean slightly towards the ground when fully extended? Is the slide not flushed up to the wall at both ends or just one? Unless for some odd reason the cylinder is fully extended, they should be able to correct the gap at the bottom by adjusting the jamb nuts. If just one end isn't flushed up perhaps the bolt has broken in the equalizer shaft under the slide. Just throwing out ideas here.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:47 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We took ours in during the rally (2010 3665RE, bought new this summer) for what I thought was the problem others have reported with the breakers on the slides. Our main slide went out kind of rough and when it came back in the breaker would trip and I would have to wait a few seconds before it reset and I could get the slide to finish retracting. The factory service dept diagnosed it as the hole being too small for the slide. They had to take the slide completely out and cut the hole bigger and then put the slide back in and replace the trim. We were there for several days. May not be what you have, but it does prove the point that the unheard of things do happen, even with computers cutting the holes.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
wersqu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5683
I cannot help with the slide but I (we) would like to wish you the best in getting it fixed. Problems like this can really turn you sour on what should be a very enjoyable time with a beautiful trailer. Good Luck. Tim & Cathy
wersqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #7
arcateq
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10837
Send a message via AIM to arcateq
Our main slide on our high country is/does the same thing! I was told that was normal etc. It does not look normal and they have replaced 3 of the 4 cables and did adjustments and it's still not right. I am out of my 1 yr warranty so I don't know what to do. But I think I am going to have to learn how to replace cables myself. The slide does not leak. The rubber seals on the outside top are disenagrating as well and are sticky and split. Something isn't right but I like you got and get no answers.
arcateq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:12 PM   #8
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

A couple of questions and a couple of comments ... was the slide like this when you accepted delivery of your unit, or has this recently ocurred? I'm a little questioning of the dealers assessment that all the brackets go to the end like they are supposed to. The hydraulic cylinder has more stroke that needed on any brand of RV ... that's why the cylinder rods have a threaded end with jamb nuts for adjustment. Does the slide lean slightly towards the ground when fully extended? Is the slide not flushed up to the wall at both ends or just one? Unless for some odd reason the cylinder is fully extended, they should be able to correct the gap at the bottom by adjusting the jamb nuts. If just one end isn't flushed up perhaps the bolt has broken in the equalizer shaft under the slide. Just throwing out ideas here.
The High Country doesn't use hydraulics where they have cable slides. What he meant was the brackets that the cables are attached to are going out equally right to the end like they are supposed to. Only the wood trim around the slide on the inside is out from the wall (both sides) about 1 1/2 inches and it's tight against the wall at the top.

I noticed this when we had the trailer out for the month of August until Labor Day and couldn't get it in until 2 weeks ago...

Perhaps I should have waited until we heard from Keystone before posting but am just bit concerned that it's more serious than first expected so was hoping someone on here could shead some info...
Old 11-09-2011, 09:13 PM   #9
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by wersqu

I cannot help with the slide but I (we) would like to wish you the best in getting it fixed. Problems like this can really turn you sour on what should be a very enjoyable time with a beautiful trailer. Good Luck. Tim & Cathy
Thank you...
Old 11-09-2011, 09:25 PM   #10
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by arcateq

Our main slide on our high country is/does the same thing! I was told that was normal etc. It does not look normal and they have replaced 3 of the 4 cables and did adjustments and it's still not right. I am out of my 1 yr warranty so I don't know what to do. But I think I am going to have to learn how to replace cables myself. The slide does not leak. The rubber seals on the outside top are disenagrating as well and are sticky and split. Something isn't right but I like you got and get no answers.
Hmmmmm normal huh???

Dick replied above that the hole was too small for his slide which made me think the opposite could my case where the hole is too big???

When the slide is all the way in and when it starts out.... The bottom moves upwards slightly before going out.... maybe a 1/2 inch but it moves up... Does your's do that too? Just the main slide... None of the others do that on mine...
Old 11-10-2011, 12:24 AM   #11
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Instead of waiting for the factory to call the dealer perhaps you should call Keystone. They should be able to tell you what they think is the cause and solution, this way you are not getting the info second hand from the dealer (would give me a little piece of mind). I would be a little skeptical that the dealer has had the unit for 2 weeks and is still waiting on a call back from Keystone. Not saying this can't happen, but the old saying "squeeky wheel gets the grease" may apply here. I would want to be sure the factory is fully aware of the issue and is working with the dealer on a solution.

wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:53 AM   #12
arcateq
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10837
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 08UltraRider

Quote:

Hmmmmm normal huh???

Dick replied above that the hole was too small for his slide which made me think the opposite could my case where the hole is too big???

When the slide is all the way in and when it starts out.... The bottom moves upwards slightly before going out.... maybe a 1/2 inch but it moves up... Does your's do that too? Just the main slide... None of the others do that on mine...
Like you all the other slides are just fine. The main slide for me is the issue. When it starts to go out it pulls from the top first and kinda drags the slide along till the end when the top hits first it starts to pull the bottom into square but never makes it. You look outside and you can even see that its not level / . I am hoping you have some success with Keystone. I would be interested to know what they say or how to fix it, they always referred me BACK to the dealer who had no clue.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:12 AM   #13
arcateq
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10837
You can kind of see the lean in this pic esp at the window

http://i43.tinypic.com/oku4r7.jpg

Your picture is too large and exceeds the MOC guidelines. It has been changed to a link. Please reduce the size to no more than 800 pixels wide and less than 100KB in size = CRAFT-guy
Old 11-10-2011, 06:18 AM   #14
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
Tim, sorry your having some problems; I assume you took your 5th wheel to a Calgary Keystone Dealer, if you don't mind me asking --which one? We had our 3150 RL at the factory in Goshen at the end of July, and I saw their Service Center operation. They had montys with their slides taken out of the body of the trailer and a few where they took the whole front end of the trailer apart. I asked the service supervisor if major repairs are common, and he said the type of required repairs varied, but they were not an unusual thing. We were travelling to a wedding in Ontario, so I thought Goshen wasn't that far out of the way, so I booked an appointment at the factory to get some problems/defects corrected. Our warranty expired March 2011 and the Goshen appointment was July 25th 2011. Keystone told me they will fix every problem I have because I made them aware of it before the warranty expired. I am very pleased with the service I received in Goshen. I believe Keystone also has a Service Center in Oregon, but I'm not sure of the location. If the dealer cannot fix your slide problem I would contact Keystone and see if you can take your trailer to Oregon ( its a lot closer than Goshen).

Just my 2 cents worth. Hope things get resolved

dpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:09 AM   #15
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dpam

Tim, sorry your having some problems; I assume you took your 5th wheel to a Calgary Keystone Dealer, if you don't mind me asking --which one? We had our 3150 RL at the factory in Goshen at the end of July, and I saw their Service Center operation. They had montys with their slides taken out of the body of the trailer and a few where they took the whole front end of the trailer apart. I asked the service supervisor if major repairs are common, and he said the type of required repairs varied, but they were not an unusual thing. We were travelling to a wedding in Ontario, so I thought Goshen wasn't that far out of the way, so I booked an appointment at the factory to get some problems/defects corrected. Our warranty expired March 2011 and the Goshen appointment was July 25th 2011. Keystone told me they will fix every problem I have because I made them aware of it before the warranty expired. I am very pleased with the service I received in Goshen. I believe Keystone also has a Service Center in Oregon, but I'm not sure of the location. If the dealer cannot fix your slide problem I would contact Keystone and see if you can take your trailer to Oregon ( its a lot closer than Goshen).

Just my 2 cents worth. Hope things get resolved

The trailer is at Guarantee RV who at first were very cold when they saw that I didn't buy the trailer from them and went further to say I have to pay the bill out of my pocket and submit to Keystone for reimbursement. Perhaps that's why it sat on their lot for 2 weeks before looking at it... They are much more pleasent now however.

I did contact Keystone about paying out of pocket where they told me they are not supposed to do that but there was nothing they could do about a dealer doing that... Keystone then gave me an email address to submit the dealers report and bill and THEY WILL DECIDE then whether or not to cover it! But that was said when it was thought to be out of adjustment.

It's too soon to think that the unit would have to go back to the factory or was it even suggested... In fact it's not an option for me because I still work for a living and there's no possible way or would I take the time off to haul it the 6000 miles round trip or even Oregon for that matter.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:10 AM   #16
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
Quote:

You can kind of see the lean in this pic esp at the window

http://i43.tinypic.com/oku4r7.jpg
Yup.... that's what mine looks like.... I'll certainly let you know what they say!

Thanks for posting...

Image changed to link due to size = CRAFT-Guy
Old 11-10-2011, 08:26 AM   #17
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
Tim,

We bought our 3150 RL in Kelowna, BC (before you I believe), and when I took our monty to Guarantee they gave me a "cold shoulder" and then 3 weeks later made the minor warranty repairs, plus replaced the power inverter. During the time they had my trailer I found they did a very poor job communicating, so stay on top of them. Months later while in Vegas I was checking fuses and noticed they cracked the fuse/breaker box, which Keystone replaced. Also, some of the repairs they did had to be redone by Keystone in Goshen. I'm not saying they wouldn't fix your slide problem, but for your peace of mind make sure you do a thorough inspection of the work before you leave Guarantee with your trailer.

All the best.
dpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #18
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Sorry that I wasn't aware of the cables or didn't read well enough Anyways, my first Montana was a 2850RK which had the cable operated main slide that was run by a hydraulic cylinder ... it always went out and flushed up from top to bottom. Although I can't help in any adjustment advice, don't let the "stealer" tell you otherwise ... you do have a problem.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:07 PM   #19
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dpam

Tim,

We bought our 3150 RL in Kelowna, BC (before you I believe), and when I took our monty to Guarantee they gave me a "cold shoulder" and then 3 weeks later made the minor warranty repairs, plus replaced the power inverter. During the time they had my trailer I found they did a very poor job communicating, so stay on top of them. Months later while in Vegas I was checking fuses and noticed they cracked the fuse/breaker box, which Keystone replaced. Also, some of the repairs they did had to be redone by Keystone in Goshen. I'm not saying they wouldn't fix your slide problem, but for your peace of mind make sure you do a thorough inspection of the work before you leave Guarantee with your trailer.

All the best.
Yes you did buy yours before me... I picked ours up at the same dealer on June 1st of this year and by coincidense Guarantee RV has it like you did...

I agree they lack the communications skills because they didn't call me.... I called them for info when they were going to get my trailer in....

They said they should hear back by early in the week.... I know I'll have to call them to find out...

And when it rains it pours.... the DW's daily driver a GMC Jimmy just blew most of the coolant out as she was coming home from work yesterday... But that's another story I think I'll post as a pay it forward to the others here on MOC...

Take care...
Old 11-12-2011, 01:55 AM   #20
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Tim,

What type of slide system is this? I see something about cables. I know Lippert has introduced a new system the last couple years but, not sure about this.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote