Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2014, 02:44 PM   #1
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
So how old is "old enough" for a tire?

Today, I got my G614s mounted on my 3402rl. Now I'm curious how long is long enough for a tire? I read those that say they replace tires every 3 years. I think that is a waste of money personally. I also read those that say 8 years is fine. I think that is flirting with disaster. So, if a tire is well cared for during its life, how long do most of you think is ok to run them? (By well cared for, I mean kept shaded when possible, sprayed with 303 protectant often, and constantly pressure monitored.)
I'm thinking 5-6 years is safe and reasonable. Other thoughts? I'm still learning.

Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:00 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The 614's are good for 5-7 years, it is well documented on the warranty information on Goodyear's website. I can't remember exactly but I think the tread warranty is five years and sidewall cracking seven years. We will have ours on a five year replacement schedule regardless, unless we see evidence of sidewall cracking, then we will replace immediately. The warranty is from date of purchase if you have receipts or from the stamped manufacture date otherwise. I believe most ST tires should be on a four year replacement cycle, but again, this is from memory, so I would research accordingly for your own benefit.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:41 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you keep them out of the sun and put plastic placemats under them if your on concrete for a long time ( the black marks tires leave on concrete is the anti aging stuff) you should get 6-7.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:32 PM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
In my opinion (these days worth about 2 cents), stretching any tire that is subjected to the conditions and loads that we see on these rigs to seven years is a very iffy proposition. I personally would not consider that with any tire on any vehicle. Maybe we need Lonnie (reputable tire dealer that just happens to have a Montana) to provide some professional advice here so we can avoid mis-information being provided. As always, this post is my opinion only, but one thing I have learned over the years is that tires are typically the weakest link on any vehicle (300 ton rock truck to a bicycle), and being the weakest part of the equation, the worst part is that you cannot tell by a visual inspection when they are subject to failure. To the OP, I think you are safe on the 614's at 5 years (opinion, opinion, opinion, DISCLAIMER, ETC.!!), but I personally would not stretch them to six or seven years, but others may choose to do so and have success (luck??) with it. My advice is to send an inquiry to Goodyear and get their recommendations as to when you should realistically expect the life of the 614's to come to an end. Bottom line, this is a very controversial subject and (as I mentioned before), you should do your homework and based on what you learn from reliable sources, make an informed, educated decision, which I believe you have already done.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:42 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The best consensus is 5 to 7 years. My tires are at 6 years and I will be replacing them very soon. I picked 6 years because it is less than 7 years, and because I don't drive very far with my trailer. If I full-timed I would replace them every 5 years. I think asking Goodyear is just letting the wolf into your henhouse and I prefer the opinions of many others, even RV experts who have written the recommendation as 5 to 7 years.

I've never heard of 3 years and maybe that's for when we used to do oil changes every 3,000 miles too, but nowadays maybe that's when some tires have blown up around that much time but I've had Missions that fail at 1 to 2 years. I do think 3 years is way too soon, especially someone like me whose rig can stay parked for 9 months at a time, but I keep the tires covered and inflated religiously!

This is my opinion but I base it on many articles and posts that pretty much have given the same interval of 5 to 7 years. I understand why Bingo calls this controversial but I prefer to add the word cautious.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:38 PM   #6
MDL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13959
I've had tires last over 5 years, but then blowouts on those same tires at 6 years. There is NOTHING more dangerous than trying to change a tire on the side of a freeway with semi trucks whizzing 3' past you at 70 MPH. All this because I wanted to get 7 years out of the tires.

Fifth wheel trailers go through so much tire stress while backing, towing, turning, etc. that the loads imparted on the entire suspension system are really shortening the life of all the components (IMHO, as Bingo said, disclaimer, opinion, no real facts other than personal experience).

My question always goes back to that side road and those semi trucks that almost killed me. I think it's a small investment compared to what could happen if you get tagged by a vehicle in a bad situation (a long way from medical help...worst case). With that said, 6 years is my max and I look as the tire sidewall integrity as the weak link.

I'm sure there are 1 million people out there with better factual data than I have, but with what I know to date, this is my feeling.

Mark
MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:58 PM   #7
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

This is not a recommendation by any means just an example of the difference in tire construction.

I have some tires on a trailer and some on a 1943 International 6X6 that are 60 plus years old and still hold air. I do not use these on the road but just to move the equipment around the yard.

I have a partner in some antique engines that operates a tractor daily that he uses on his farm and the tires on it are 60 years old as well.

The difference is I believe theses tire were constructed using Brazilian rubber which is much different than the rubber being used since about the end of WW II. Also these tires were never designed to be operated at the speeds of today’s road equipment.

Now for the G-614 it is an all steel tire it doesn’t have any cord that is not steel. I would expect them to outlast Goodyear’s warranty information Bingo is referring to.

I have a set of 4 G-614 tires that have the abnormal wear that some of the folks here have posted about. Goodyear agreed to replace them but would not put G-614 on the 80 PSI Tredit wheel.

I purchased some used 110 PSI Tredit wheels off this forum and kept the old wheels and tires. The old G-614’s are now on an equipment trailer that I guarantee will be overloaded by the people using it.

I will inform the forum here when we have the first failure which will probably be the wheel. LOL

Phil P

If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:50 AM   #8
jhudson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13711
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MDL

I've had tires last over 5 years, but then blowouts on those same tires at 6 years. There is NOTHING more dangerous than trying to change a tire on the side of a freeway with semi trucks whizzing 3' past you at 70 MPH. All this because I wanted to get 7 years out of the tires.

Fifth wheel trailers go through so much tire stress while backing, towing, turning, etc. that the loads imparted on the entire suspension system are really shortening the life of all the components (IMHO, as Bingo said, disclaimer, opinion, no real facts other than personal experience).

My question always goes back to that side road and those semi trucks that almost killed me. I think it's a small investment compared to what could happen if you get tagged by a vehicle in a bad situation (a long way from medical help...worst case). With that said, 6 years is my max and I look as the tire sidewall integrity as the weak link.

I'm sure there are 1 million people out there with better factual data than I have, but with what I know to date, this is my feeling.

Mark
I have never experienced a blow out like Mark, but have had to deal with flats on the side of the road......way scary!

I have replaced my Marathons on a 5 year schedule in the past on my other campers. I plan to get a couple years...maybe more on the Marathons currently on the Monty. I most likely will not go my normal 5 year schedule because I want a tire with more capacity, and my current tire cannot give that to me. "Gs" in a couple years then back to my standard rotation period of 5 years. Of course with any schedule, one must be flexible depending on the circumstances that arise with tires. If I need to shorten, so be it.

Jay
jhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:22 AM   #9
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
DQDick...What is the reasoning of putting plastic under your tires? That's one I've never heard before, but it would be simple to do if there was a good reason. Are you just trying to protect your concrete from the black stuff of the tires, or is there some way it protects the tires from something? Intrigued...
Old 03-01-2014, 10:23 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We keep a eye on them and check for cracks. tires with great thread on previous campers that we replaced because they had cracking. In 70 K miles on the 06 3400 we had three sets of tires in 7 years.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:45 AM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Mark N., putting plastic under the tires between the tire and whatever surface they sit on is an additional measure to prevent long term rotting. While ever so minute, there's been some evidence that a tire sitting on a surface, like concrete, for long periods and they might wick and weaken over time as the two surfaces are in contact. I've read some experts recommend you park your tires on plastic placemats (there are supposed to be the correct size for coverage of the pad of rubber on each tire and of a material that prevents this problem) and avoid this. Even knowing this I have not done this, but probably should. However, my Marathons are still doing okay after 5 years and this would just be another step to add, document or remember so I've done without the extra effort.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:36 AM   #12
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Art is correct reference the plastic under your tires. I didn't know this but while at Lazy Days recently I was bored while waiting for service on our Montana and they were starting a free class on "Tires and Towing". I went in and listened to most of the presentation. They talked about the plastic and also about covering your trailer tires to keep the sun off. If your covers are solid vinyl or plastic (non breathable) you are probably doing much more harm than good by covering them because the covers will hold moisture and cause them to rot quicker. In summary they said most high quality trailer tires should last 5 years if properly used and maintained.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:33 AM   #13
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We keep a eye on them and check for cracks. tires with great thread on previous campers that we replaced because they had cracking. In 70 K miles on the 06 3400 we had three sets of tires in 7 years.
. 3 sets of tires in 7 years?!? Wow! What kind of tires do you buy? Looking at Goodyear's website they said that cracking is only a problem when it gets deep. They had a maximum depth measurement, but I don't recall what it was now. I'm reading 5 years is comfortable for most folks that are answering and you are averaging 2.3 (ish) years. So, I'm wondering if you are extra cautious or if something is causing excessive deep cracking on your tires?
Old 03-02-2014, 09:47 AM   #14
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

If you are really going to store the trailer for an extended time I would with the trailer hooked to the TV jack up one side at a time and put jack stands under the axel between the “U” bolts then remove the TV and store it with the weight off the wheels and tires.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:31 AM   #15
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I believe that full timers should give a lot of consideration to changing tires after four years. That's only me after observing a lot of tires that were 5-6 years of aging and rolling on a lot of our highways in the south. I've never been dissatisfied. I won't take a chance on a tire that's over four years of age.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:14 PM   #16
MikenAngie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13784
After reading of all the tire issues, I'm beginning to think that our Monty looks pretty good sitting there in the driveway! New tires are not in the budget for a less than one year old unit!
MikenAngie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:12 PM   #17
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
In my opinion, the longevity of trailer tires depends on a lot of factors. How much weight are they carrying, how fast are they being pulled, at what temperatures are they being pulled and over what type of roads? Has the air pressure been properly monitored, have they ever bounced through a pot hole or over a curb, how much side load have they been subjected to during tight cornering, etc.......? Trailer tires generally have a useful lifespan of 4 to 7 years, some will go much longer, some will not make it 4 years. My advice is to not go past 5 years unless you have no choice.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:59 PM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mark N.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

. 3 sets of tires in 7 years?!? Wow! What kind of tires do you buy? Looking at Goodyear's website they said that cracking is only a problem when it gets deep. They had a maximum depth measurement, but I don't recall what it was now. I'm reading 5 years is comfortable for most folks that are answering and you are averaging 2.3 (ish) years. So, I'm wondering if you are extra cautious or if something is causing excessive deep cracking on your tires?
We had 4 previous rv's all of which stored out doors in Northern Ohio during the winter. Had one of them for 10 years and they cracked. Had two sets on that camper.

Had no cracked tires on the 06 3400.The first set were the OEM Missions that we ran for @ 10K miles and figured we had tempted fate long enough. Replaced with Coopers. Ran those for @ 40K miles and the thread was worn enough for me. Replaced them with generals that were on the 06 when we traded it in.

In terms of how cracked is cracked we use our method. If we don't like the looks of it we get new tires.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote