Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2014, 04:38 PM   #1
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Service from non-seller dealer

I had a nice thread about the rude salesman going and now have another question. I know many have bought a Montana from some dealer (not local) and then return home with it. How do you find the dealers to work with on service if they didn't sell you the unit? I think I have heard that they have to do the service, but can REALLY be slow to get the work done. Any other comments or advice?

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:11 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Have never been back to the selling dealer and have never had a service problem. When needed I consult the list of dealers recommended by MOC folks that I keep on hand and if there isn't one near I call Keystone Customer Service for a recommendation. They won't tell me who not to go to but they won't direct me to them either.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:07 PM   #3
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Keystone has been very helpful to steer me to cooperative dealers in my travels. I too have never returned to my dealer. In fact my service in Redding is from a non Montana dealer. Keystone pays on time and have never denied a claim. I specifically would not buy, from some manufacturers, who insist you visit your selling dealer. One of these manufacturers who will remain "nameless", actually state that fact in their brochures. Evidently they can't see the "Forrest" or River for the trees!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:41 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
My dealer takes in all comers except for the buyer who deliberately buys from the guy down the road who provides no service and can undersell him. But he will provide service though you have to wait your turn. Now if you're traveling and have a problem he'll get you right in. I've bought and had service from my dealer for over 35 years and highly recommend him.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:21 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If on the road and need a dealer we call Keystone customer service and let them do the leg work. Never a problem.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:43 AM   #6
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Thanks for the creative chuckle!!!

"Evidently they can't see the "Forrest" or River for the trees!"

But seriously, as for the topic of service from a non-selling dealer it can be difficult for sure. Up here in Canada it can be far more difficult to get service with dealers even refusing to work on a rig that wasn't purchased from them, at least during the prime "camping" season. Our season is very short, 5-6 months at best, so the service departments are slammed during that time and tend to say they are overbooked with their current customers but could work you in during the off season. The rv industry needs to move to the automobile model where one can get service done from the same brand dealer located anywhere.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:55 AM   #7
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Reines in Manassas VA has signs displayed indicating they service purchase customers first, and all others on 'space available only'. Some dealers do not like to do warranty work because they claim Keystone does not cover the costs of the work. Don't know the validity of that issue.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:04 AM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I bought my last Montana from an out of state dealer because of a $9860 price difference for the same unit ... same trade. The local dealer told me if I ever brought it in for work, it would sit on his lot a looooooooong time before he got around to working on it. I said for a $9860 savings ... I could tow it to the Oklahoma selling dealer bunches of times and still be ahead. By the way ... our long time local Montana dealer has recently been taken over by the state for back taxes. We have another local Keystone dealer that doesn't carry the Montana line, but openly works on Montana's. He did all the warranty leg work on my axle alignment reimbursement yet his business had no involvement in taking my fiver to the alignment shop at all.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:14 AM   #9
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I have wondered about the same thing. Prior to recently making our purchase from Lazy Days in Tampa I e-mailed our local Montana dealer back home and asked him if he would have a 3725 coming in by April or May, because we were going to trade up. His e-mail back was pretty short but basically said he had no plans of getting that floor plan. About a week later, after we had cut the deal in Tampa he sent me another e-mail saying he would certainly order one and try to have it by April with no obligation for us to purchase it. I sent him back an e-mail and told him we had purchased one and thanked him for his time. He responded again and said Lazy Days was a good dealer and said we would really enjoy our new Montana! Just based on his response I am guessing they will gladly do warranty work for me.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:02 AM   #10
Bigsky3625RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12815
I had nothing but troubles getting warranty and non-warranty work done buy the dealer we bought from.

Had a flat leaf spring two weeks before our 2500 mile trip last and took it to an authorized repair dealer. They took care of use and I asked if they would mind servicing our Monty going forward. Their answer was yes and that they loved our trailer.

They are a large volume dealer in WA state that sells a competing brand.

Will see how it ends up as I need a few slides adjusted.
Bigsky3625RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:24 AM   #11
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
IF, IF, your unit is properly PDI'd, you should have very few serious problems. Your selling dealer is paid to do it. Yet, some will pass over it "lightly". You should take a PDI check list, available here on the forum, with you when you go for delivery. As many have said here, Keystone is helpful finding a dealer to do service when you are away. Most of the folks here have used that sort of service because a lot of them travel far and wide. I do recommend, however that you take along some tools and be prepared to help yourself when traveling. These RVs are houses on wheels. Every time you move one, it goes through a small earthquake. After all is said, they are very sturdy, durable, and always a great adventure. I have a 14 Big Sky and have been doing Mods and changes almost everyday since I purchased it. They are not perfect but offer a wonderful lifestyle.
Larry (HOOK)
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:49 AM   #12
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
I have never bought a trailer yet that was properly PDI'd by the dealer. Camping World in Statesville NC where we bought our last one was the worst. Everything from a torn slide seal, to missing fixtures, to broken rear light lens, to missing graphics. They did do a great job of getting everything squared away before we took delivery.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:03 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Whoa Larry. The PDI on our 06 3400 took two days by myself and the dealer using the MOC checklist and much more. It rolled off the dealer lot with zero detected problems. 6 months later it went up in smoke and flames in quartzsite. It suffered frame flex and many other issues in the nearly 7 years we had it. Keystone was excellent in correcting issues and getting us to a dealer no matter where we were.

Major issues occurred in areas the PDI can not detect. Improperly installed wiring, improperly installed holding tanks. Improper welds. This 2013 Big Sky is no better thus far.

If we thought there was a better brand 5th wheel in the price range we would have purchased it instead of another Montana.

In our experience the Service center has been outstanding. Dealers have been outstanding . The price for a Montana is still right. The PDI will get you out of the dealers lot by correcting the poor build quality issues out of the factory. we spent 5 hours going over the 06 in the dealers lot. Listed the issues we found for repair then went back two weeks later for a second PDI that took 4 hours. The dealer did a outstanding job. The PDI checklist was outstanding.

We understood what we were buying and although disappointed in the 06 3400 and even more disappointed in this 13 3402 Big sky as we expected better after 7 years. We feel the Montana's' served us well in over 70K miles of travel. Do not think we would have done any better with any other comparable brand.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:45 AM   #14
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
Quote:
quote:The rv industry needs to move to the automobile model where one can get service done from the same brand dealer located anywhere.
Agreed! Just goes to show you how "Mom and Pop-like" the RV industry is
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:20 AM   #15
CATCRAW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11243
We have never taken our 3150RL to the selling dealer,as they are out of state, but that was who COSTCO buying plan sent us to for the best deal. We have had all of our warranty work done at the local dealer in town and they have never questioned anything nor delayed the work. They have gone out of their way to service our needs!
CATCRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:30 AM   #16
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I know about tools and fixing!!
And I know about earthquakes going down the road. We went to Alaska and probably drove a bit too fast!!! 5 cabinet doors open in a 100 mile stretch (took 3 1/2 hrs to drive it!!!)
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HOOK

IF, IF, your unit is properly PDI'd, you should have very few serious problems. Your selling dealer is paid to do it. Yet, some will pass over it "lightly". You should take a PDI check list, available here on the forum, with you when you go for delivery. As many have said here, Keystone is helpful finding a dealer to do service when you are away. Most of the folks here have used that sort of service because a lot of them travel far and wide. I do recommend, however that you take along some tools and be prepared to help yourself when traveling. These RVs are houses on wheels. Every time you move one, it goes through a small earthquake. After all is said, they are very sturdy, durable, and always a great adventure. I have a 14 Big Sky and have been doing Mods and changes almost everyday since I purchased it. They are not perfect but offer a wonderful lifestyle.
Larry (HOOK)

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:46 AM   #17
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Sage advice...

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Have never been back to the selling dealer and have never had a service problem. When needed I consult the list of dealers recommended by MOC folks that I keep on hand and if there isn't one near I call Keystone Customer Service for a recommendation. They won't tell me who not to go to but they won't direct me to them either.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote