Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2020, 06:35 PM   #1
SLC
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23732
Stop-overs

Hello to everyone....

We have had our 5th wheel a year now n have traveled a few places last year. We have really enjoyed our rig, the floor plan and have learned a lot from this forum over the past year.

Our trips last year did not have any multiple travel days in a row where we needed to stop over one night. However this year will will have stop-overs.

We just wanted to ask if we we need to unhook for the night or may we stay connected?

If staying connected is an option what needs to be done (besides the electric and water hook up that we may want)

Thanks!

2017 F350 4x4
SLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:55 PM   #2
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Before we got the Aux tank I would unhitch and set up. Then go fill fuel tank. Now with aux tank I really go and fuel up. I can drive all day with out stopping for fuel.

We carry water while we travel. If I put in enough for the night's stop then I do not hook up water, just electric.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:12 PM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I don’t unhook. I stop where it’s convenient at Walmart a truck stop a camp ground any place I choose. If I need to level the camper I might unhook.
You will probably find as many answers here as there are post, it’s just what suits you and the way you use your camper. I don’t think there is any right or wrong way.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:20 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We tend to stay at inexpensive RV parks for one night and just look for a level pull thru and don't unhook. Since we can't run the furnace in our rig without putting the slides out or the AC in the summer we quit Walmarts. We belong to Passport America and don't spend much when we do stop.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:52 PM   #5
jimandlaurie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12948
Send a message via AIM to jimandlaurie Send a message via MSN to jimandlaurie Send a message via Yahoo to jimandlaurie
We have thought about the hook or unhook thing on a quick overnight stop. I think I would be ok with not unhooking and doing a whole level program considering a couple things. In staying hooked up, as long as we didn't need to worry about using the refrigerator needing a full level spot, and could just stabilize the rig with the landing legs. We would stay hooked up. it may be just one of those what "feels right"to you things.
jimandlaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 04:11 AM   #6
SLC
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23732
Ok thanks for the input, we just wanted to make sure we are good either way.
2017 F350 4x4
Old 01-22-2020, 07:21 AM   #7
Lakelife
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25287
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
We tend to stay at inexpensive RV parks for one night and just look for a level pull thru and don't unhook. Since we can't run the furnace in our rig without putting the slides out or the AC in the summer we quit Walmarts. We belong to Passport America and don't spend much when we do stop.
Can you not run the heat and AC without the slides out due to vent placement?
Lakelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:57 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do not unhook on overnighters. We get as level as we can. We lower the front jacks for some stability. The sides do come out and the utilities are hooked up. We use passport America when we can on overnighters but usually KOA. We do not use Truck stops, rest areas, big box store parking lots.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:51 AM   #9
SLC
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23732
That’s what we were leaning towards
Get level as best we can
Front stabilizers down a little
Slides out
Hook up up water and electric
Simple enough

Thanks!
2017 F350 4x4
Old 01-22-2020, 11:10 AM   #10
rmthelen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12748
Send a message via MSN to rmthelen
With the level up system it only takes a minute to unhook, and set up. In the morning, another minute to hook up and we're on the road. If you don't have the level up system, stay hooked up to save time.
rmthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:27 AM   #11
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
We unhook every night no matter where we are to get fuel that night or in the morning. We find we can save .50 a gallon or more by going into town over the truck stops and with 86 gallons it is significant. Were pretty much fair weather campers and stay south in the Spring and Fall so heat is not an issue, but we do hook the truck 12v back up at night, with 2 Lithium batteries and solar we can run the residential refrigerator and heat if needed all night.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:37 AM   #12
SLC
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23732
What is a 50 gallon transfer flow that you have?
2017 F350 4x4
Old 01-27-2020, 06:11 PM   #13
jpwhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23248
I still use KOA journey parks for the majority of my overnights. They are typically right off the interstate, can be reserved in advance and consistent. I ask for a level pull through. They usually have several and are designed for quick in and out stops. I always want electric (at least 30, preferably 50 amps) and request water and sewer depending on circumstance, but typically they are full hook-up. If the site is truly level, I don't bother to unhook and use manual mode of the level up system to get as level as necessary and stable. I do unplug the RV from the truck before plugging in to shore powere. I blew a fuse in the truck once not doing so and just make it part of the routine now. In the morning, pull the slides in, unhook all utilities, and use autoretract for the jacks.

If we need gas, or want to go to dinner, or wherever in the evening, I'll unhook, push the level button and let it do it's thing. It is only 10 to 15 minutes more in the evening and morning to unhook / hook.
jpwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 06:52 PM   #14
SLC
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23732
Good to know about the fuse....we always do that but did not know you could blow a fuse...learn something new everyday on here!
Thanks for the input!
2017 F350 4x4
Old 01-27-2020, 07:28 PM   #15
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
If we had a generator we would stay at a truck stop or rest stop without hesitation. I would stay hooked up and not even put down the stabilizers. Two reasons: one I'm lazy, two nobody can steal the truck without us knowing about it LOL.....Overnights in transit is about as close as we will ever get to boondocking.

In fact the generator is on our must haves when we start traveling again. I really regret not having bought it with the rig.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:38 PM   #16
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC View Post
What is a 50 gallon transfer flow that you have?

They were referring to a 50 gal aux fuel tank in the bed of the truck that allows you to transfer the fuel to his main fuel tank under the truck. It simply allows you to carry a lot of extra fuel so you do not have to stop for fuel every few hours.

I just installed a 46 gal in my new Ram 3500 SRW Short bed putting me at about 80 Gal total with a 800 mile towing range (actually more like 600-700 miles to allow me to find a fuel stop before empty). Mine from ATI (Aluminum Tank Industries) cost me $700 delivered including everything i needed including optional fuel gauge for the tank and all installation parts.

You need to consider the added weight to your payload though as in my case a I added 46Gal that adds 60lb for the tank and 46gal X 7.1lbs total added weight 386lbs.

But knowing that you can drive all day without even thinking about refueling or looking for a Fuel station you fit in to these tanks are worth every penny.

Note:For those SRW trucks if you were to add a Aux tank it is a good idea to use the Andersen hitch as that will save you 100lb-200lb of hitch weight and make payload more manageable.

https://www.tankandbarrel.com/rectan...nk-p-1223.html

Also installation is easy took me about 2 hours solo.
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 06:39 AM   #17
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Everyone does it different and there's no right or wrong way. Leaving the trailer hitched will not hurt the tow vehicle or the camper. The reason for unhitching would be for your own comfort, depending upon if the trailer is level or not when hitched.

We (usually) unhitch, only so we can get the camper level. We both hate sleeping in a bed that's not level. That's the only reason why we unhitch, even for quick overnights.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 07:23 AM   #18
SLC
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23732
That extra fuel tank is a great addition!
Will keep it in mind.... for now we will have to stop and fuel up.
Thanks for all that info!
2017 F350 4x4
Old 01-28-2020, 10:38 AM   #19
jpwhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23248
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
We (usually) unhitch, only so we can get the camper level. We both hate sleeping in a bed that's not level. That's the only reason why we unhitch, even for quick overnights.
I hear you there. I am hyper sensitive level. My rig is level front to back when hooked up with landing gear down. On a level pull site, I can do the minimal side to side adjustments in manual mode without disconnecting. If the site is off front to back, or too much side to side, like you, we unhook.

As a side note: My level-up system was originally configured .2 or .4 (don't recall exactly, but a little amount) low to the off door side. It displayed level side to side, but I always felt I was leaning, which I confirmed by my level. it drove me crazy. I would go out and manually adjust it to get it right. After being reconfigured, it gets it right every time.
jpwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 12:25 PM   #20
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
SLC, I had the below installed. For me worth every penny. Meets all Fed and State laws, integrates with current system and nothing to mess with except changing the fuel filter on the top of the tank once a year.

https://www.transferflow.com/shop/product/0800116625
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote