Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2019, 07:11 AM   #1
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
Hydraulic leveling jacks dropping

Let me be more specific. Since we have owned this rig, we have always had the jacks down while not in transit. 3 weeks ago I pulled the rig out of the garage, drained the tanks and washed it. The following week we were going to take it to get inspected for our license plate renewal (this is a Texas thing) so we left the jacks up and the slides in when we put it back in the garage. Then some family issues cropped up and we still have not had a chance to take it in. That said, 2 weeks ago I started to notice that the center passenger side jack was down a few inches. This week the jack had dropped all the way down to the floor and the passenger side rear jack was down about a inch. None of the other jacks have changed position. Has anyone had this happen to them? Yesterday we went out and fired up the control panel for the jacks and they raised up just fine. Strange.

RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:47 AM   #2
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
sameo sameo

Yep a couple of has mine has started to do that while traveling. 2 of the rear on different sides come down about 2 to 3 inches in 2 hours of traveling. I held them up with big zip ties for now until I get time to deal with it this winter. There`s a couple of different posts on here that have ideas on why it does this but no definitive reasons or fixes.
If nothing broke or needed fixing every time we went out I would really start to worry.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 09:38 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We had that happen with one jack and the seals had gone and it had to be replaced. More than one sounds like a check valve has gone bad. Call Lippert, they have good customer service.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:38 AM   #4
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
If mid jack and rear on same side are creeping down it can only be caused by one of two issues.

The mid/rear levelers operate in tandem on each side. Each side is separate from each other

Either 1 if the mid/rear levelers is bypassing internally or the solenoid valve for that respective valve is not closed all the way

There is a manual port screw on the solenoid used for manual operation that may not be fully tight. This can also let the solenoid bypass fluid.

Use 1/8 inch Allen wrench and lightly snug it
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 03:36 PM   #5
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
hit the nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
If mid jack and rear on same side are creeping down it can only be caused by one of two issues.

The mid/rear levelers operate in tandem on each side. Each side is separate from each other

Either 1 if the mid/rear levelers is bypassing internally or the solenoid valve for that respective valve is not closed all the way

There is a manual port screw on the solenoid used for manual operation that may not be fully tight. This can also let the solenoid bypass fluid.

Use 1/8 inch Allen wrench and lightly snug it
Ah Haa This sounds easy I `ll try this first. Since it`s 2 at once I would think it`s the solenoid leaking and not the individual jacks cause replacing them would be expensive, not sure if that`s covered under the 3 year structural warranty and the thought of going to my selling dealer after the last and only try at them fixing something under warranty failed miserably. (Frame flex issue that I ended up fixing my self). Contacted a guy that made my hydraulic lines for my equipment, said he can rebuild any hydraulic cylinder with new seals for a reasonable price. I have 3 more trips planed in the next 4 months and will be damned if I `m going to let my unit sit at a dealers lot for who knows how long for them to screw it up anyway. Beside the large zip ties work just fine at holding the rams up until repaired.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 06:30 PM   #6
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
My bet would be one of the two hydraulic levelers on the side that’s creeping down is leaking internally...

Lippert has a ver6 easy test you can perform by removing the orange “Extend” noses at a time and performing the test

Get a Lipperts App and go to support section and you will find the TI bulletin on how to perform the tests..
Old 11-24-2019, 08:02 AM   #7
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
I have now found a hydraulic leak coming from the top of the front passenger side jack. There is fluid on the bottom of the top plate where you can see the 3 bolts. The 3 bolts appear to be tight. It makes me think there is a gasket issue. Any other ideas?
Old 11-24-2019, 11:46 AM   #8
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
The usual cause of fluid leak on top of one of your leveling legs is a bad oring seal or missing crush washer and damaged oring seal on the hydraulic banjo fitting on top of the cap

With hyd pressure removed from system take the banjo bolt out and inspect the crush washer and oring condition. You can find a replacement oring at most auto parts stores
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2F1ACF5B-A3C1-4657-B892-0F28B7B81F55.jpeg
Views:	386
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	5094  
Old 11-24-2019, 11:52 AM   #9
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Also if the front LG leg that’s leaking down onto its pad has the solenoid ... only 1 of front LG legs has... then the oring for the solenoid could be leaking
Old 11-24-2019, 12:06 PM   #10
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
Thanks ChuckS. I'll take a look at that. As for your post regarding the legs dropping, it is the starboard mid-ship and aft jacks that were dropping not the front jack.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:11 PM   #11
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
The usual cause of fluid leak on top of one of your leveling legs is a bad oring seal or missing crush washer and damaged oring seal on the hydraulic banjo fitting on top of the cap

With hyd pressure removed from system take the banjo bolt out and inspect the crush washer and oring condition. You can find a replacement oring at most auto parts stores

The area that is wet is the area just above the white label in the picture you posted. The leak is on the bottom of the top of the jack.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:08 PM   #12
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
get to a dealer. you are still under warranty?

even if not push the dealer to get keystone to cover the repair.

good luck.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 01:15 PM   #13
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
Out of warranty now. Last time I took it to the dealer for some minor repairs that had it 3 months. They did a good job but it took to long. Id rather fix it if I can.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:30 PM   #14
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Most local hydraulic shops can rebuild these if they are not scored excessively on the inside...there is an oring under top and bottom caps. Just dont over torque the cap bolts else you’ll crack the housing
Old 11-27-2019, 10:02 PM   #15
Cushing872
Established Member

M.O.C. #24837
You can test your levelers yourself. Retract all the way up, then disconnect your return hose side. A little oil will dribble out of the hose and port but not much. Apply pressure back on the pressure line (retract) If oil spurts out the cylinder port, then your piston seals are bypassing. This may not work if the bypass is very tiny. In hydraulics you start at the problem and work backwards to find the problem. With all my Hydraulics’s experience, I would lean more towards a sticking solenoid. Especially if the rig is only a couple years old.
Cushing872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 12:17 PM   #16
GeologyTek
Established Member

M.O.C. #21745
The front drivers side jack on My 2018 3811ms will sloooooooooooly drop and the rig will become unlevel. I know because of a bubble level I keep in the house, and you will wake up with heartburn because the bed is not level. Also, when the hydraulic pump comes on to level the unit the off drivers side reacts before the drivers side does. I can manually level the rig then I use an ratty old screw jack stand and board to keep it from falling. It looks TERRIBLE!!!! I am a full timer & in the oilfield so I just haven't had time to take it anywhere and after my previous camping world experience I just haven't been able to force myself to engage them.
GeologyTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 02:22 PM   #17
Rcerne
Established Member

M.O.C. #17861
happened to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunnerTR21 View Post
Let me be more specific. Since we have owned this rig, we have always had the jacks down while not in transit. 3 weeks ago I pulled the rig out of the garage, drained the tanks and washed it. The following week we were going to take it to get inspected for our license plate renewal (this is a Texas thing) so we left the jacks up and the slides in when we put it back in the garage. Then some family issues cropped up and we still have not had a chance to take it in. That said, 2 weeks ago I started to notice that the center passenger side jack was down a few inches. This week the jack had dropped all the way down to the floor and the passenger side rear jack was down about a inch. None of the other jacks have changed position. Has anyone had this happen to them? Yesterday we went out and fired up the control panel for the jacks and they raised up just fine. Strange.
My stabilizers fell while in transit and had to disconnect power to them until I arrived at my destination. They were the driver side middle and rear stabilizers. I have a 3701 LK 2018 Montana. I have to get someone to look at them before I can move it again. Any help would be welcomed.
Rcerne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 02:26 PM   #18
Rcerne
Established Member

M.O.C. #17861
Same thing happened to me. The driver side rear and middle stabilizers kept dropping while in transit. Had to disconnect the power to the stabilizers to get it to stop. Had to reconnect when I got to our destination, Any help on what may be wrong would be greatly welcomed.I have a 3701 LK 2018 Montana.
Rcerne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:23 AM   #19
Jimnlora
Established Member

M.O.C. #21069
Same issue here.

2018 3120 Monty. Had the same issue appear yesterday. Both ODS leveling jacks slowly falling while under way. Will call Lippert for guidance. Hopefully it's an easy fix.

Several posts here with the same issue. What were your solutions?