Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2015, 07:22 AM   #1
asphaltimage

M.O.C. #17684
2015 High Country Slide floor

I have tried searching and cant quite find what i am looking for. We just purchased a 2015 HC 340BH and we are out on our first trip at Gold Beach Oregon. We noticed that the floor seams week in the slide that has the dinnet and couch, the floor will bow while sitting on the couch or on the dinnet chairs that are towards the middle of the slide. I looked at the brochure and all the HC models have the same slide layout, so it even though the 340BH is a new floor plan this should not be a new issue. I know this should be or could become a warranty issue but i am still going to be here for a couple of months and would like to try and come up with a resolution before something breaks, and i would rather fix my self if i can to save the hassle of taking it to a dealer.

asphaltimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:33 AM   #2
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
We have the same slide layout in the 305RL. No, I have not seen any bowing of the slide floor; ours is solid. There must be a problem there with yours. FYI, be careful about doing too much yourself while in the warranty period - I proposed doing something myself while on the road and my service advisor told me not to, that he had seen Keystone deny coverage if I "repaired" the unit myself.
Bama Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:39 AM   #3
asphaltimage

M.O.C. #17684
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bama Camper

We have the same slide layout in the 305RL. No, I have not seen any bowing of the slide floor; ours is solid. There must be a problem there with yours. FYI, be careful about doing too much yourself while in the warranty period - I proposed doing something myself while on the road and my service advisor told me not to, that he had seen Keystone deny coverage if I "repaired" the unit myself.
yeah that is what i was thinking with the self fix. that i could srew up the warranty
Old 08-14-2015, 08:15 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
That definitely does not sound right. And agree completely re trying to fix yourself. If the floor was not installed or braced correctly, could require removing the slide to repair.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:24 AM   #5
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
If you don't see anything abnormal on the bottom of that slide and don't feel any soft spots, then my guess would be sub-standard floor material was used for that slide. Definately a job for a good dealer and you need to get the issue on record with keystone customer service. IF, after warranty expiration, the issue was not corrected by keystone...and...you are going to do the work yourself, then the only way you can do it is to pull everything out of that slide from inside including carpeting and then apply a sheet of marine ply or at least good exterior grade ply on the inside over existing floor. You will need to use good construction adhesive, lots, and screw this layer to the old floor spacing screws a foot apart in a row with second row offset by six inches from first. If this slide is four feet deep, then you will end up with four rows of screws. Screws should be coated deck screws with square or star drive heads and should not penetrate all the way through the original floor. Doing this won't add that much weight to the unit, but it will stiffen it up a lot. Pulling out the old floor is beyond most people and requires a big forklift. John
Old 08-14-2015, 02:46 PM   #6
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
On a brand new Montana, I would be concerned about failed bracing under the flooring.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:18 AM   #7
asphaltimage

M.O.C. #17684
I dont see anything out of the ordinary underneath. Im thinking it is a sub par piece of plywood or something of that nature. I will take it in to a dealer when we are done with this trip.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:21 AM   #8
asphaltimage

M.O.C. #17684
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jcurtis934

If you don't see anything abnormal on the bottom of that slide and don't feel any soft spots, then my guess would be sub-standard floor material was used for that slide. Definately a job for a good dealer and you need to get the issue on record with keystone customer service. IF, after warranty expiration, the issue was not corrected by keystone...and...you are going to do the work yourself, then the only way you can do it is to pull everything out of that slide from inside including carpeting and then apply a sheet of marine ply or at least good exterior grade ply on the inside over existing floor. You will need to use good construction adhesive, lots, and screw this layer to the old floor spacing screws a foot apart in a row with second row offset by six inches from first. If this slide is four feet deep, then you will end up with four rows of screws. Screws should be coated deck screws with square or star drive heads and should not penetrate all the way through the original floor. Doing this won't add that much weight to the unit, but it will stiffen it up a lot. Pulling out the old floor is beyond most people and requires a big forklift. John
Thats one of the ways I was concidering fixing it.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:18 PM   #9
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
I have the same problem with my Mountaineer. The floor is probably 5/8" OSB. It can't be very thick. I put an 8' 2X6 turned up on edge between my floor and the two rectangular support bar under slide. I wedge it tight with door/window shims between 2X6 and bar.
When we have couple over to play cards at table I'm afraid we're going to fall through. If you think yours doesn't give, step between table and chair and watch table move.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote