Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2010, 04:08 AM   #1
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Bat Wing Coax

It was noticed at the Fall Rally that the rubber "cap" for the coax had worked up the coax on many of the newer model Montana units.
The base of the bat wing assembly on the roof has a round nipple sticking up allowing the coax to go down into the roof. A rubber cap allows the coax to pass through and slides down over the nipple to seal the hole. This cap rides up allowing water to leak into the bedroom around the antenna crank. (word of experience)

I suggest you take a tie wrap and place it just above the rubber cap on the coax to keep it from riding up and seal the rubber cap with silicone.

Good luck and safe travels.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:09 AM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Yep, very good advice. Ours did exactly the same thing. Drip, drip, drip right over the bed.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:21 AM   #3
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

Yep, very good advice. Ours did exactly the same thing. Drip, drip, drip right over the bed.
I too have been awakened by water dripping on me from the antenna wire connection. As noted, my fix was to seal the protective cap to the wire, after putting it on the nipple as tight as it would go.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:53 AM   #4
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I filled the darned hole with sealant put a little around the nipple and pushed the boot back down
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:00 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8.1al

I filled the darned hole with sealant put a little around the nipple and pushed the boot back down
We did the same thing eight years ago and it has held all this time.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #6
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
Guess I will have to look at mine to see if there is any damage to the roof.
Unless I don't know anything about reception-the bat wing has been a joke. I can not see that it has helped the reception at all. Am I missing something?
Have a Good Day
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:02 PM   #7
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
On my old 5er I tried a hose clamp at the bottom of the cap but the clamp kept popping off. Then I tried the zip tie at the top of the cap on the coax. this held, but then I found excess coax inside the hole. So the cap still came off. I ended up filling the hole with sealant.

on my Montana, I noticed the cap has Dicor sealant 1/2 way around the base.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:37 PM   #8
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by deerrahn

Guess I will have to look at mine to see if there is any damage to the roof.
Unless I don't know anything about reception-the bat wing has been a joke. I can not see that it has helped the reception at all. Am I missing something?
Have a Good Day
I think that maybe you are confusing the bat wing, which is the main antenna, with the "wing man" add on thing that is supposed to improve reception in the UHF band.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:53 AM   #9
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
KTManiac-you are right. Ours come with the Batwing. We added the "wing man." I did not see that the "wing man" improved the reception at all. Checked the roof and did not see anything except the clean spot where it touched the roof. Oh well, I have spent money on other foolish items. Thanks for getting me straight. Have A Good Day
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #10
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Yup, I was just on the roof sweeping off the top of the slides before retracting them and saw the cap was off the coax. I pushed it back down for the trip home and sealed it with silicone after I had bedded it down in storage.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote