Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2008, 11:51 AM   #1
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Weight Police:

I couldn't resist taking this sign's picture near where I live. This sign in on 95th Ave. west bound fron Crown Point to Saint John, IN. The erstwhile "Weight Police" on this and other forums should get one of the radars these police are using so they can zap all us guys that are overloaded with our 3/4 and 1 ton PU's.

Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:54 PM   #2
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Bob, that is a good one. You are right,they could zap a bunch of us.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:56 AM   #3
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Oh they are out there. Go over to the other RV forum and you may find your ticket posted along with a summons to the RV Weight Police Court.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:00 AM   #4
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Did that say "radar" or "weighdar"?????
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:40 AM   #5
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Here's a riddle I cannot figure out. Some get quite upset and almost indignant if you question the weight they are hauling with their TV. Some suggest the manufacturers ratings are little more than a guideline. I've heard a lot about making sure you are comfortable with it, etc. But when it comes to the manufacturers ratings for tires no one questions them, or would think of intentionally overloading their tires and announcing that they are comfortable with that so it must be ok. Just thought I'd put that in here, a light hearted thread about weights.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:03 AM   #6
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jim Jarvis

Here's a riddle I cannot figure out. Some get quite upset and almost indignant if you question the weight they are hauling with their TV. Some suggest the manufacturers ratings are little more than a guideline. I've heard a lot about making sure you are comfortable with it, etc. But when it comes to the manufacturers ratings for tires no one questions them, or would think of intentionally overloading their tires and announcing that they are comfortable with that so it must be ok. Just thought I'd put that in here, a light hearted thread about weights.
The GAWR gets the same treatment as the tires...never ever exceed it. But the GVWR is a suggestion??? It can't be both ways.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:28 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
It has to do with knowledge about the ratings.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:26 PM   #8
6.7 CTD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8114
Explain how you would check for over weight with radar...........it says "radar controlled".........LOL
6.7 CTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:20 PM   #9
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
I found the guys who put up the sign!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't know they were from Indiana "Whosiers?" - lol.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:07 AM   #10
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 6.7 CTD

Explain how you would check for over weight with radar...........it says "radar controlled".........LOL
When the bridge collapses, you're suddenly "off the radar"!

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 02:43 PM   #11
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

I'm sorry, I read a lot and don't post much, maybe a bit thick...but you'll have to explain that one. Seems pretty simple, you compare two numbers, add/subtract a bit and there you are...over or under. The ratings are very self explanatory and the definitions are quite clear. There is no extra "knowledge" required...some posters however, like to put a "spin" on the definitions.

I worked the numbers, studied the definitions, and with all that acquired knowledge, got rid of my 3/4 ton truck, and got a dually.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:12 AM   #12
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by billhoover

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

I'm sorry, I read a lot and don't post much, maybe a bit thick...but you'll have to explain that one. Seems pretty simple, you compare two numbers, add/subtract a bit and there you are...over or under. The ratings are very self explanatory and the definitions are quite clear. There is no extra "knowledge" required...some posters however, like to put a "spin" on the definitions.

I worked the numbers, studied the definitions, and with all that acquired knowledge, got rid of my 3/4 ton truck, and got a dually.
You're right Bill. The math really is quite simple. In fact you barely need a calculator. You clearly live in the no spin zone.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:28 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
(blazing glimpse of the obvious).. If the manufactures sticker on the truck are only suggestions and recommendations and need not be adhered to are not the manufacturer ratings on our Camper axles and truck and camper tires also suggestions and recommendations and if so why do we get so concerned about axles and tire ratings??? The 6K keystone numbers on my 3400 axels is just a recommendation as is the tire rating. so we need not adhere to them..not to mention that we all know that the manufacturer factors in a 10% fudge factors so my 12K axles are good for 7200K and my tire rating are also good for 10% over.. which would be 3346 per tires at 88 PSI throw in the pin weight, and I need not be concerned about that as it is only a recommendation, and I am good for @ 16K GVWR.. These are way better numbers than my weight police numbers..I have been overly concerned about nothing....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:08 AM   #14
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Rich, from what I've been able to glean from the various discussions only truck manufacturers ratings are to be used as a general guideline. With truck specs you may go by what you feel comfortable with. All other ratings you mentioned are to be taken very seriously and strictly adhered to for everyones safety. That seems to be the general concensus.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:04 PM   #15
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I've spent an hour or so trying to decide how to respond to this forum, or whether I should just ignore it. It is starting to get to the point of mean spirited and I hope the moderators come in and say something. Some of the people that are pointing fingers are relatively new and when you point your finger at some of the people that have helped hundreds of MOCer's with their issues, I take offense. Those people were among the first to welcome me, they were instrumental in starting and maintaining this forum and they have logged many more hours behind the wheel than I will for a while.

I spent fifteen years in the auto industry. I've worked on calculations for automatic transmissions. I know a little bit about safety factors and such. And yes, tire and axle manufacturers also use safety factors. The reason - factors like heat, weight, overloading, tire pressure, tread wear, side loading, batches of rubber, curing temperature, and many other factors are at work. The model for this is not static, it is dynamic. I have not seen one, I repeat one, person say disregard the weight ratings. They have said to use common sense. And, at the sound of turning mean spirited, if you go out and spend thousands of dollars extra because you're a hundred pounds over somewhere, you've got more money than brains.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:47 AM   #16
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
Forget it..thx.
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:16 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am still confused,.. Rating.... "specified performance limit, as of capacity, range, or operational capability: the power rating of a light fixture".. Specifications......"The written requirements for materials, equipment, construction systems and standards"

Factor of Safety.......http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tabl...y_Factors.html

If that truck sticker is a "rating"???It would indicate a specified performance limit"Same as the sticker on my 3400, the axles, the tires on the truck and camper. The specification definition seems to be just as specific..such as the type of oil or Xmittion fluid to use. Now there is the suggestion that these ratings and specifications are Suggestions and or recommendations??? Now I may be confused as We did participate on some design and engineering teams in the FAA in regard to technical systems and ratings and specifications were certainly not
Recommendations or suggestions. There is the suggestion that they are not legal requirements and I have not been able to determine that they in any way are. I can not accept exceeding ratings or specifications by a "little bit" exceeding is exceding. Now if they are recommendations or suggestions..different story. I have been a avid member of the "weight police" because I always read these as Ratings and Specification not recommendations and suggestions.. And one other question...Is that factor of safety alreay reflected in the ratings and specifications. In My googling it appears that it is..if so then the stated number is the number..no fudge factor.

It is important that we give a person asking the question the correct answer in this critical subject so it is important that we define what the stickers are.Just a serach for the facts..whatever they may be.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:22 AM   #18
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Ok! My two cents worth. I can't hold my mouth any longer. All comments are my opinion and my opinion only except for the link provided and quoted material.

Purdue University - Guidelines for Towing A Trailer

What it means to me.

Specifications are a set of numbers that are given to a manufacturer, or provided by the manufacturer, to provide a safe environment regarding the materials they produce.

Let's say that the National Traffic Safety Board says that a frame of a truck must meet a tinsel strength to support 2000 pounds of material. Manufacturers have to meet or exceed those specifications. However, because of cost considerations, how much do you think they will exceed the specifications given to them? I would Guess that it will be a small percentage and the sticker on any frame will say, "Not To Exceed 2000 Pounds." I'd also say that in the production of frames, every batch will meet the 2000 pound specification, but will vary in exceeding it due to batch processing.

In the link provided above, it states, " I. Because a tow vehicle and a trailer form an articulated (hinged) vehicle, weight considerations are very important to safe towing. The tow vehicle must be a proper match for the trailer."

And:

"Make sure your vehicle has towing power: Just because a vehicle has the power to pull a loaded trailer down the road doesn’t mean it has the guts to haul it up steep hills, or that brakes are capable of holding it on a steep incline. Follow manufacturers’ towing guidelines and never exceed tow limits. Too much trailer weight can cause an accident, or pull the tow vehicle down a steep incline."

Ya know, when I shop for a vehicle i don't just walk on the lot and say, "Gee! That's a pretty one, I think I'll take it." I look first for the specifications to see if it will do, as a minimum, what I require it to do. Therefore, specifications are really requirements imposed by any one of several institutions, including the manufacturer.

Now I'm not as smart as all those Purdue people, but when it comes to safety I have to ask, "Why take the risk?" The specifications are there for a reason.

Y'all can read into this as you wish, but what I wish is that y'all remain safe and I really don't care how you do it.

Edited: for link correction
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:48 AM   #19
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I would like to see where it says it is okay to exceed various ratings (GVWR, GCWR, GAWR, max tire rating, etc). Every publication you read from truck brochures to Trailer Life's Towing Guide say emphatically, DO NOT exceed any of those ratings.

Also, IMHO, the amoumt of time or number of posts a person has made has nothing to do with a person's knowledge or experience. Just because a person is a new member does not mean he/she is not just as knowledgeable as anybody else...maybe even more knowledgeable.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:06 AM   #20
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Aw yes these threads always seem to to the same way, no matter what web site they are on.g
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote