Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2016, 01:23 PM   #1
Firsterin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17571
Alaska Dreaming

I know quite a few on this forum have made the trip to Alaska so I'm looking for some input. Basically, I'm wondering what sort of back up supplies you took along. The 'just in case' variety. Spare tires? Leaf springs? that sort of thing. I've heard from a few on FB already who suggest taking extra leaf springs, but with good G rated tires I'm thinking we should be OK. The tires will be new.

We're in Florida so this would be a loooooooooong trip!
Thanks! Looking forward to seeing you all in Goshen in September again.

Firsterin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:53 PM   #2
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I took the usual spare tires plus an extra for truck and trailer. However I never needed any spares. I think I may have started frame flex tho, as 2 years later I had to fix it.
Look for little orange or colored flags as the side of the road as they mark frost heaves. My problem was I slowed to 25 mph at the first one and it hardly bumped. So the next one I slowed to 40 and got shook apart. I should have just slowed to 40 top speed and 25 for flags. The bad stretch is between Whitehorse and Tok. It was around 110 miles and took 3 1/2 hours. Of course it was pretty much pouring rain too.
The bad trip stories on the Alcan highway are from 20-30 years ago when I don't think it was all paved yet. Everything is paved except where the frost heaves have messed it up.
We are going back this summer and hoping it doesn't rain 29 of the 30 days we are there like last time.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:39 PM   #3
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
We are into day 50 of our trip to Alaska and are having a blast. Top of the World Highway tomorrow into Tok. Spent the last 3 days in Dawson City and it was great.

Check out our blog in the signature for all the details of the trip.

As for spare parts we have the usual but also bought extra wet bolts and shackles for the Monty just in case.

Also greased all the fittings and axles and adjusted the brakes.

Had a full service on the truck including brakes and transmission before we left for the trip.

Hope you have a safe trip!
Old 06-05-2016, 06:59 AM   #4
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
We are considering Alaska in summer 2018 after I retire, one question ref spare things is how much would you estimated a 3 month trip cost? A good estimate would be appreciated....we figure 3 months after we cross the Canadian border.....we would be leaving from Virginia...wanting to spend at least 5 months on the road overall.....
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:16 AM   #5
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
I guess we all have our system for budgeting for a trip. I do mine this way. I figure on spending $45.00 per night for the RV park. This may change once I check out parks on my route with Allstays. Then for fuel I map out the trip to get the mileage, divide that by 9 mpg (I can get better but this is safe) times $3.00 per gallon. This will hold true in Cananda just remember the Canadian dollar is worth 75 to 80 cents to the US dollar. Then add the normal amount for food and whatever activitys you will be paying for. Then add 10% for just in case.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:45 AM   #6
mboys
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12012
I would agree with Waynemoore. We are in Alaska now from Az. About 4,000 miles into our second trip up here. I would suggest buying some Canadian money before you leave the states. That way you can enjoy the exchange rate when you go through. We spent about $1,200.00 (Canadian) driving through Canada that included diesel fuel, RV sites and food. We spent about 1500.00 U.S and got about 1950.00 Canadian before we left. Last trip we took the Casier Hwy up and Alcan down. Both had their challenges with heaves and holes but just take it slow and look for the orange flags. You'll be able to see more wildlife that way as well. Doing the same thing this year. Road past TOK toward Anchorage was also rough this year. WE always like to call ahead for site reservations some folks don't. I think the people that own the sites appreciate it more and you'll get a little better service from them. That's just our take anyway. You'll be in areas where there is no cell phone coverage and may not see another vehicle either direction for an hour or two so be sure to take some drinking water with you just in case. This truly is the Last Frontier. Our last trip I lost a Turbo on my truck and it was 7 hours before they found a wrecker out of Anchorage to pick us up. Sitting on the side of a two lane road in the emergency lane. What an experience. Don't mean to alarm you but just be prepared. It is worth the trip!!!!! Absolutely beautiful here.
mboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 04:10 PM   #7
ALSAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12193
Not to highjack the thread but bigboomer get to the ferry EARLY there was some in our group that waited 8 hours to cross last year and on the top of the world highway stay away from the shoulder of the road as they usally claim a couple vehicles a year.
Did 11,250 plus miles from Wisconsin to Idaho the up wandering thru Canada and in to Alaska the Tok cutoff was under construction and from Distrucktion Bay to Tok was also under construction .
Some where up there I lost the t handle to my galley tank , had the metal strap that holds up the waste discharge break at the screw that is in frame , I took a zip tie that I have in my truck for my work ( 1/2 inch wide 24 inchs long )zipped it back up tight go to go , and had the screws that hold one of my basement doors strip out but fixed with things I had with me.
We only took 150.00 dollars Canadian with us the rest I put on my charge card.
Now on the charge card deal , they only take the chip card in Canada , if you are going to go the card route notify your company of your travel plans also make sure there are no international charge fee , the cards we used did not have any fees and I got email notices with the amounts already converted
Most of all have fun ,watch for critters and take lots of pictures
ALSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:19 AM   #8
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
Thanks for the info...I am always trying to read to gain insight...hope everyone has a safe and wonderful trip. Thanks again.
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:39 AM   #9
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
See if you can find us
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:30 AM   #10
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
tires...don't need extra ones. spring....bring one and know how to install it.... a come-a-long helps with replacing spring....

and, bring an extra spring hanger. that is about it from our trip.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:50 PM   #11
Mr Pachu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17922
We have made four trips up to The Yukon and Alaska with one trip up the Dempster Highway to Inuvik, NT and have never needed any spare parts. Maybe we are just lucky. We did travel with two spare tires which were not needed. These trips were made with two different SOB's.
Mr Pachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 05:58 PM   #12
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ALSAN

Not to highjack the thread but bigboomer get to the ferry EARLY there was some in our group that waited 8 hours to cross last year and on the top of the world highway stay away from the shoulder of the road as they usally claim a couple vehicles a year.
Did 11,250 plus miles from Wisconsin to Idaho the up wandering thru Canada and in to Alaska the Tok cutoff was under construction and from Distrucktion Bay to Tok was also under construction .
Some where up there I lost the t handle to my galley tank , had the metal strap that holds up the waste discharge break at the screw that is in frame , I took a zip tie that I have in my truck for my work ( 1/2 inch wide 24 inchs long )zipped it back up tight go to go , and had the screws that hold one of my basement doors strip out but fixed with things I had with me.
We only took 150.00 dollars Canadian with us the rest I put on my charge card.
Now on the charge card deal , they only take the chip card in Canada , if you are going to go the card route notify your company of your travel plans also make sure there are no international charge fee , the cards we used did not have any fees and I got email notices with the amounts already converted
Most of all have fun ,watch for critters and take lots of pictures

Alsan,

We actually stayed at the Yukon River CG across from DC. We took the ferry at 5 pm and waited 10 minutes.

Here is the link to our blog for the TOTW trip....
Rambling RV Rat: Destressing from the Drive on the Top of the World Highway, Tok, AK - Stop 19 on our Trek North to Alaska

http://ramblingrvrat.blogspot.com/20...world.html?m=1

Old 07-12-2016, 09:00 PM   #13
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Rambling RV Rat: Homer, AK - Stop 26 in our Trek North to Alaska

http://ramblingrvrat.blogspot.com/20...th-to.html?m=1