Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2006, 01:02 AM   #1
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Monty is Home

We picked it up from the Dealer Wednesday, had a good PDI just a couple of minor things fixed within minutes. Hooked it up and drove home. I am really surprised of how well it handled. Got home and the DW was worried about me getting it parked beside the house. (We have a gravel drive where we use to park the Class A.) But got it back there on the first try - I was quite proud of myself . Now comes all the packing - where to put stuff. When we unloaded the Class A we just threw everything on the garage floor - now not for sure we need all that stuff. Why were we carrying it around anyway? We are thinking about running up to Prophet Town State park this weekend for an overnighter - just to see how everything is working. Then will probably stop at the Flying J and put it on the scales to see of Monty needs to go on a diet or not. Got to make sure everything is ok as our first big trip is to Branson the end of this month.

indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 02:18 AM   #2
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Phil & Gladys, We hear the excitement in your post! Congratulations on your new Montana. Know the feeling of moving items from one unit to a new one. We did find that we could eliminate several things we had not really used. Amazing how much storage room you will find in your new Montana. Be sure to post and let us know how your first outing goes. Your State park weekend sounds like a good shake down trip. May you enjoy many happy miles in your new wheel estate.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 03:00 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We would be interested in your options and weight of the 06 3400 as ours should be here in a couple of weeks.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 03:04 AM   #4
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Good to hear you are ready for the road, welcome aboard.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 04:23 AM   #5
mjflora
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5556
We went from a Class A to the Montana too. We picked ours up just last Friday. I am also faced with a pile of "stuff" in the garage, but it's been so rainy here the last few days, I didn't want to track dirt into my pretty, new FW!
mjflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:49 AM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Congrats on the new 3400. Hope you enjoy yours as much as we have ours. Let us know how the maiden voyage turns out.
Happy trails..........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:20 AM   #7
yvonnenid
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4853
Congratulations on your new coach!
When we go our 06 3670 Monty, we had a 31 foot Mc Kenzie travel trailer. We too took all of the stuff from it and put it on the garage floor. When we put it in the Monty, we were shocked at how many empty cabinets, drawers, and compartments we had! And we have our front compartment filled with an Onan 5500 generator! Wow! I have to buy new stuff to fill some of those many Monty storage spaces!
yvonnenid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:31 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
This is all good news. We are going from a Terry 29R to the 3400rl.We too have "stuff' scattered all of the barn, garage, pantry, etc and have already culled some stuff out. We are trying to keep only stuff in this camper that we actually use. Don't see any reason that there should be more "stuff" in this camper than in the previouss one,Will try to avoid the temption of filling up a storage unit just because it is empty.Helen says it is a experiment doomed to failure..but will try.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:56 AM   #9
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
Congrat's on your new coach indy roadrunner.
I just have to ask you and mjflora, what prompted the change from Class A to 5th wheel?

Ken
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:26 AM   #10
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Congrats on your new 3400RL. I think you have chosen an awesome floor plan, not that I am bias or anything... =) Many happy miles ahead for you.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 12:31 PM   #11
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I just have to ask you and mjflora, what prompted the change from Class A to 5th wheel?

A previous poster ask this question and since I have not learned how to do a quote I just cut and pasted the question that I think I need to answer.

We are about 4 years away from retirement and we had a Fleetwood Storm 31A with two slides. To be honest we struggled with justifing the room after we had been to some RV shows and looked at some 5th wheels and other Motor homes. We really had our eyes on a Winnebago 38J as we liked the opposing slideout floor plan - but those things cost an arm and a leg plus a couple cases of beer. Then we got to looking at all the room in the 5th wheels and the cost factor and the rest is history. Monty came into our life and we fell in love the floor plan, looks etc so the choice was easy. I feel that when we retire, the 5ver will fit some snow birding adventures quite well. We do not intend to full time, sell stick house etc but would love to head south for the bad winter months and Monty fits the bill for that.

Hopes that answers you question - when we first got into RV'n a couple of years ago, we was initially looking as 5th wheels and then for some reason wound up with a class A. Rookie mistake
Old 04-07-2006, 12:51 PM   #12
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Congratulations! What a great feeling, just getting ours ready for the year got us excited!

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 03:51 PM   #13
JimnJulie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5590
Congratulations on your new Monty. We also picked up our new 3400 RL today and brought it home. This was the first time I had ever towed a 5th wheel and man was it easy. No swaying, no hopping. The 250 Ford Diesel hardly even knew it was back there. Coming up I75 I looked and was doing 75mph (uphill) - had to back her down some. We spent all day loading it from the boxes that had been clogging our bedrooms since we emptied our trailer back in Feb., the process was constantly interrupted by neighbors dropping by for a tour. The entire neighborhood was very jealous and ran out of WOWS.
JimnJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 03:57 PM   #14
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Jim n Julie,
Congrats on your new 3400RL, it sure looks good with your truck.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:34 PM   #15
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Congratulations on your new 3400. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. We are full timing and it seems to give us the room we need. Safe travels and we will see you down the road.
Myrna
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:56 AM   #16
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Congratulations to all you new owners and welcome to the forum. Here you will meet some of the nicest people in the whole world. Now go have fun. Remember, this is the first day of the best time of your life.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 09:04 AM   #17
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Congrats to you all!!! Boy this site just keeps getting bigger & bigger and better & better! Welcome!
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 11:12 AM   #18
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We would be interested in your options and weight of the 06 3400 as ours should be here in a couple of weeks.
Ok you asked for it. We stopped at Flying J in Lebanon IN on our way back from our maiden voyage which was without incident other than it was cold in Lafayette IN down in the lower 30's and furnace basicly over heated inside - had to keep therostat turned down.
Here is the numbers from our scale ticket and I have not had a chance to noodle this but it shows 4340 on steer axle, 5260 on drive axle and 10140 on trailer axles. Total weight of combined unit as 19740.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:57 AM   #19
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Phill & Gladys
Sounds like you are right in line with my set up. The only difference is I have around 11,000 on the coach axles. Glad hear your first trip out went well. Hope the rest of them will be just as good.