Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2004, 04:49 PM   #1
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
New 3255RL - Puget Sound area

My wife and I just purchased a Montana 3255RL a couple months back, and I just signed on to the forum today. I have been looking at the forum for about awhile, and it looks like there is a bunch of good information being shared by a bunch of good Montana owners!

Over the last 25 years we have made the gradual transition from tent trailer, to 11' camper, to 22' trailer, to 30' trailer, to the 5th wheel. I really appreciate how well the 5th wheel tows compared to the large trailer (but I do miss my truck canopy!!). Not yet being retired, we don't do many extended trips, but split our trips among some traveling, and some dry camping when fishing or waterfowling. We've only done a couple short trips with the 5th wheel so far, but plan on doing a couple longer trips shortly.

We live north of Everett (north of Seattle about 40 miles), and I tow my unit with a 1999 Ford SC 4X4 Powerstroke. I have a Superchips Microtuner for the diesel, and so far power seems to be no problem. I haven't towed enough times to get a good idea for mileage (with the 8000 lb trailer I got about 12mpg).

I have done a couple minor upgrades on the 5th wheel (home theatre and 12v plugin), but I guess I can post that somewhere in an appropriate posting heading.

Anyway, glad to be on board .......

Matt, and Amy, and choc. lab Sasha

mallardjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 05:00 PM   #2
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Welcome aboard old salts! Congratulations on your new coach. Thanks for sharing about yourselves. Keep us posted. Happyring....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 02:44 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Welcome to Monty world and the forum. Sounds like with all your experience, you will be able to make significant contribution. I skipped some of your steps by jumping from backpacking to 5er. The big difference is that when backpacking, you can't jump in the truck and go to walmart to fix the problem. Maybe learning to do the "work arounds" will have some transfered value. You picked a great unit. Congratulations and enjoy.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 02:44 AM   #4
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Welcome Matt and Amy, We are so glad that you joined and look forward to seeing your post and hearing all about your great adventures. Happy RVing.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 04:36 AM   #5
contau lake
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2222
Welcome to the forum, Matt and Amy! With all your camping experience your posts will be quite a boon to the forum. Congratulations on your new Montana!!
contau lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 10:37 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welcome, Matt and Amy! Thanks for joining us and telling us about yourselves. Hope you continue to enjoy the forum and the Montana. Your truck's mileage probably won't change all that much with the larger trailer. Maybe a little. We averaged 11.5 towing a 3295RK with an '03 F350 with the 6.0L PSD.

There's an improvements section that would be a good place to tell us about the changes you made to your Montana. Click on All Forums at the top left, then scroll down until you see the Improvements heading (something like that).
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 12:53 AM   #7
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Welcome aboard, this is a great forum and we are glad to have you as a member.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote