Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2009, 12:15 PM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
New Wheels

I would like to go to the higher rated tires on my rig but my rims are only rated for 80 psi and the folks at Tredit won't recertify them as they did the '07's. Can someone recommend a higher rated wheel and where to get them. Would like to stay with something similar to the stock wheels but functionality comes first...

Thanks

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Okay, exavtr8tr, where do you find this rating on the wheel? I have custom aluminum wheels that came with the rig. Where is this mysterious rating every talks about? I just got new Marathon E-rated (3420 lbs @ 80psi) tires on my rig that meet my trailer's current GVWR so I don't need anything right now, but NEXT time I might look for G-rated tires. I don't plan on exceeding the GVWR of the trailer, but I don't mind thinking about installing stronger tires just to gain that extra rating.

I have been under my trailer with the creepy crawlie looking everywhere on the tire with a flashlight and a magnifying glass with no luck. Is the thing stamped on the wheel part that's next to the brake drum and that's why I can't see it?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Did you see there's another post where someone describes that there's a stamped rating and then there is a stickon paper that has a higher rating on it for their wheels? How would you like to have that problem? At least you aren't gonna mess around and just get REAL wheels with a pounded STAMP with the correct rating.

btw - DW and I have been through the 1000Trails in Clermont, FL after leaving 1000Trails in Orlando and when we were passing through on our way to the Keys. VERY NICE and GREEN. You don't get any alligators there do you?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:18 PM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Art, don't look at the tires, look at the inside of the rims. Crawl under the rig and take a flashlight. There should be numbers stamped or cast into the flukes radiating off the hub. They may be in there kind of deep but they should be there... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:23 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Art, In '07, I believe, the wheels were recertified by Tredit to withstand 110 psi thereby raising the load limit on the wheels. Instead of restamping all the wheels, Tredit issued stickers to attach to the appropriate wheels. As I mention, this was done to the '07 wheels when Keystone put the 7k axles on the frame. The stamp is very hard to find and is located on the back of the rims. Some can be seen with a flashlight and looking between the spokes of the wheels, some may have to have the wheels removed to see it. I stopped by Tredit in Elkhart to ask if they would recertify mine and they said only the '07 models had the recertification. Even though the wheels are the same they could not issue a recert stamp to me. I guess I could take a chance with higher pressure tires but not worth the chance, safety wise.....
Old 04-23-2009, 03:42 PM   #5
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Phil,

I'll check with my wheel suppliers tomorrow. I may be able to find something tonight online too. I'll let you know what I come up with.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:11 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Thanks for the advice. I looked all morning under the trailer but couldn't find the stamp on the WHEEL (I did say tire - sorry about the confusion), but I will wear my stronger glasses, get a brighter flashlight and look again tomorrow. I will look on the inside of the wheel and at the spokes.

That would be great to know the wheel rating just for knowledge sake! I do have brand new E rated Marathons so we'll see how that goes over time. I have been wanting to know because I hate being an ignorant customer. I believe I have 7000# axles but I'll check again. It's in my owner's encyclopedia that I don't like to look at unless it's absolutely necessary. One of these days I'll have to organize that thing better.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:21 AM   #7
bob
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6258
Phill Alcoa makes the best try southwest tire & wheel they are in Tx they have a nice website.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:38 AM   #8
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Art: Should be a tag on the axle for it. You may need to pull the wheel off to read it.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:03 PM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Looks like Alcoa and Goodyear G614's when the time comes......Unless someone has another idea????
Old 04-24-2009, 03:11 PM   #10
1Happycamper
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6880
Hi Phil..I just checked the rims on my monty and it is stamped Max Load 6/3200 & 8/3750 lbs @ 110 psi. My unit was built on June 1-2007.

Bill
1Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:39 PM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
more help please.... I already got the hints that I should just buck down, remove one wheel and view its rating and it might even have a paper rating (which I assume overrides the stamped rating).

But for 1Happycamper how does one read that wheel rating "Max Load 6/3200 & 8/3750 lbs @ 110 psi"? are the 6 and 8 the number of plies which would coincide with the Load Range rating of a tire?

So much to learn and good thing I love to learn.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:05 AM   #12
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Quote:
quote:By exav8tr.

Looks like Alcoa and Goodyear G614's when the time comes......Unless someone has another idea????
Alcoa is a good choice. They have been building wheels for a very long time and IMHO have the best on the market.

Quote:
quote:By Art-n-Marge.

But for 1Happycamper how does one read that wheel rating "Max Load 6/3200 & 8/3750 lbs @ 110 psi"? are the 6 and 8 the number of plies which would coincide with the Load Range rating of a tire?
I believe the 6 and 8 refer to the number of lug holes in the wheel.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:11 AM   #13
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Those are some spendy wheels and tires! The peace of mind that they would bring would take some of the sting out of it though. Alcoa forged wheels are the way to go, if you can bring yourself to terms with writing the check.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:10 PM   #14
1Happycamper
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6880
Thanks LonnieB..I was wondering what the 6 & 8 stood for with the weights. That does make sense.

Bill
1Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:26 PM   #15
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
I'm still confused. Why would 6 or 8 mean lug holes if a wheel will only have 6 or 8 (not both) lug holes? Does this mean that when the wheel is built the stamp is put on, THEN the holes are drilled?

If that's the case why would two extra holes add to the capacity of the wheel itself if the metal has not changed? This is way more complicated stuff than what I was anticipating, but I'm glad I'm asking so I can understand correctly.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:28 AM   #16
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
I upgraded to the Goodyear G16's two years ago. My tire man found me 110 pound steel rims and suggested metal high pressure valve stems. I have not had any problems with the tires. This year I have added the Pressure Pro TPMS. Next year when we do Alaska I will start with a new set of these on the trailer.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:17 AM   #17
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Quote:
quote:By Art-n-Marge.
I'm still confused. Why would 6 or 8 mean lug holes if a wheel will only have 6 or 8 (not both) lug holes? Does this mean that when the wheel is built the stamp is put on, THEN the holes are drilled?

If that's the case why would two extra holes add to the capacity of the wheel itself if the metal has not changed? This is way more complicated stuff than what I was anticipating, but I'm glad I'm asking so I can understand correctly.
I don't KNOW for certain that it refers to lug holes, but that makes a lot more sense than referring to the ply ratings of a tire being cast into a wheel. My GUESS is, they use the same mold for both 6 and 8 lug wheels. What I KNOW is, a 6 lug wheel and an 8 lug wheel of the same size and thickness can have different load bearing capacities by adding or subtracting ingredients in the smelting process.