Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2005, 02:36 PM   #1
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Slide in High Wind

We were in a terrible storm on Saturday night. Trailer was rocking (and this time I had nothing to do with it). I got up and put in all of the slides and it seemed to help. Anyone ever run into a similar situation. One unfortunate camper was on a shakedown run near home and left the campground for safety. Returned to find a tree on his new camper. We had a 4 inch diameter tree snapped in two right across the road from us. We were happy to escape with no damage.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 02:50 PM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Ron,

If it were that bad, threats of straight line winds or tornados, I would put the slides in and get into a safe place, I kinda favor block bath houses!

Glad you are OK, too bad bout that other guy tho! Hope he had good insurance.

Remember, we can always replace Montana, and gear, we cannot replace our lives, or lives of loved ones!

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 03:03 PM   #3
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Definitely the season to keep the weather radio on all the time...

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 05:03 PM   #4
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
Not sure if it is just me or if the pattern is changing. It seems we are getting more wind than other years. We had a windy Saturday 2 weeks ago with sustained 62 mph winds and gusts. Those are not uncommon during severe thunderstorms but it was sunny with a few clouds. The Monty had no damage and I keep the slides retracted when not in use. I am sure it was rocking though.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 05:24 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Narrowing your profile and reducing the surface area upon which the wind can act seems appropriate to me. Glad you are intact.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 05:52 PM   #6
Montana_3032
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3032
Glad you came out of the storm without any damage...I feel so bad for the other guy...but at least they weren't in it when it happend..

We were in Oklahoma at Beaver Bend State Park over the Memorial Day weekend and a tree snapped from about 40 feet up and missed our 5er by less than three feet and our pickup by less than 2 feet...we were outside when it happened and at first it sounded like someone had set off a round of blackcat fireworks..I did scream like a girl when I figured out what was happening.
Montana_3032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 05:49 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ron and Terrie, an emphatic YES! Last night, as a matter of fact. However, this time we did not retract the slides. The reason is twofold. One, there is a line of trees immediately behind us that breaks the wind somewhat. But the main reason is the wind was hitting us from almost directly behind, just slightly off to one side.

A couple of years ago in Colorado we had strong winds hitting us almost directly from the side. We felt the rocking so strongly and felt we were being slightly lifted on the one side that we retracted the slides that time. That was the storm where the hackberry moths rode in on the slides, but that's another story...

It's not a fun feeling, is it!?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote