Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2005, 01:37 AM   #1
zzuroweste1
Established Member

M.O.C. #3581
GPS Module for Laptops

I am interested in purchasing a gps unit for my dell laptop...any suggestions on type, pricing, and where the best place is to purchase

zzuroweste1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 04:13 AM   #2
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Go to www.delorme.com
I have used theres for years.
Go the the Earthmate and the bundle the Street 2005 package with it.
You can get the Earthmate GPS LT-20 with Street Atlas USA 2005 for $99.95.
I just checked there web site.
The only thing I needed to add for the GPS, was a 3' USB cable extension.
You will love it.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 05:01 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
They all do pretty much the same thing..The voice prompts are nice..I just got the Garman GPS-18 and have used Streets and maps.In my humble opinion they all will do the job..I look for the software that is the MOST user friendly. I noted that Best Buy has a good selection of GPS units..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 08:07 AM   #4
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
I use Microsofts Streets and Trips with GPS. Works great but doesn't have voice propmts if that's important to you.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 08:20 AM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
When we just ordered a new laptop, Dell offered Streets and Trips 2005 with a voice prompt. I don't know if it's the same with the GPS system. Might be something new to look into. Judy
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 01:57 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Judy, do you have more info on that? I have Streets and Trips 2005 and it does not have voice prompts. I'd love to have S&T with voice prompts.

Zzuroweste1, welcome aboard. There are several very workable solutions for you. I have been using the DeLorme Earthmate and Street Atlas (now version 2005) for several years and have been very happy with it. Street Atlas is a bit daunting to learn but is very powerful once you learn where everything is and how to use it. I stay with this package because I like having the voice speak up and tell me to turn right on Main St. in 1.3 miles. Then it tells me again, and then it tells me 'turn righ on Main St, approaching NOW." If your laptop also has a microphone you can program it to accept voice commands from you. Like, "next turn" to get the info by voice or "show next turn" to have the display show details of the next turn. I don't have a microphone so I use the keyboard to get that info (alt-f5 for show next turn and f5 for voice next turn, for example.)

Some folks prefer a handheld gps. I think some of those can be interfaced to display the map on a laptop. Maybe someone else here can help on this.

I prefer the interface of Streets and Trips, however, There are some other things I prefer in Street Atlas and some other things I prefer in Streets and Trips. If Streets and Trips had voice prompts I'd try that again because I like it's easier interface for route planning. But Street Atlas still better meets my needs for trip tracking. I guess I'm not much help here.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 02:14 PM   #7
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
These units work very well.
http://store.l-f-l.com/cgi-bin/cp-ap...prod&ref=BU303
http://www.deluoelectronics.com/customer/home.php
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 02:55 PM   #8
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
I use the megellian Platium hand handheld GPS (with windshield mount) with my labtop and Streets and Trips. Have used this setup for about 4 years now and it really works fine for us. Built a home brew mount for the laptop which also works great.
Montana_2230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 06:22 AM   #9
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
Hi All,

Here's a cool link for MS Streets & Trips users.

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...TOPIC_ID=21067

Ken
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 11:30 AM   #10
sneururer
Established Member

M.O.C. #3724
I do not have a laptop, but I recently purchased a Lowrance iway 500c GPS unit. It works very well and I like its portability and large color screen. The other nice part about the Lowrance iway, is the built in MP3 player which you can play through your vehicle's stereo system. It will hold approximately 5000 songs which you download from your computer. The Lowrance GPS is extremely accurate and comes pre-loaded with nation wide maps so there is nothing to download. There are also 2,000,000 points of interests pre-loaded on the Lowrance which include campgrounds, restaurants, gas stations, hotels, stores, etc. You can also load 1,000 of your own addresses or destinations. The Lowrance's safety feature, which prevents the map interface to be accessed while the vehicle is in motion, can be overridden so that the maps and routing functions are operational while in motion. If you are using the MP3 player, the voice prompts override the music and are heard through the vehicle's stereo system. I am very impressed with this unit.

Steve
sneururer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 11:54 AM   #11
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
If you are going the laptop route with S&T or similar for software, you really don't need anything fancy for your GPS (unless you have other uses for it). It is just a piece of hardware that comunicates with the GPS satellites. I bought the cheapest I could find, a Magellan 310, and it works just fine when coupled to my Dell. You do need to make sure that your GPS unit is compatible with your laptop, and get one that can be plugged into the vehicle power, they are real battery eaters.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 02:08 PM   #12
Go Pokes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1645
We use Delorme and Earthmate with our Dell laptop. It now works great. The first Earthmate had a short or loose wire and for 3 months, we just thought that was the best it could do. We were about to buy a new laptop but decided to call tech support first. They sent us a new Earthmate. Now it never locks up. Moral of this story is: If Delorme locks up it is probably in Earthmate. With the new Earthmate, we really love it. We purchased ours from Staples.
Go Pokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 03:43 PM   #13
Richard
Established Member

M.O.C. #2499

We bought the Costco brand. We find Costco brands to be invaluable while fulltiming because you can return any defective product for a full refund or to exchange units at ANY Costco store....even from the mail order Costco outlet!

For how long? FOR EVER!.....lol...but seriously, they're very forgiving about returning all but the most ancient relics......(except computer equipment which has a 6 month limit) No need to work out the logistics of "doing without" while an interminable warranty return works it's way through the snail mail to a distant forwarding address, etc.

In this case, our Costco GPS was the Magellan 700 windshield mount with a smallish screen, but all of North America stored in it's massive/tiny hard drive.

It's worked extremely well for the past few months, but as we pulled into Texas, the heat of sun seemed to scramble it's little brains, and we set it on the armrest and pointed an A/C vent at it. It cleared up after a while, but I'm thinking it's time to return to Costco to exchange it.

My wife and I used to argue about directions, but since getting the female-voiced Magellan, I tell everyone, "It took another woman in our relationship to save our marriage." and then DUCK........once nearly in time.

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 06:20 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We also use the Earthmate and have for several years. We've been very pleased with it but realize there are other equally good solutions out there.

I agree with OntMont that if using it with a laptop and only with a laptop, any decent gps will do. One thing I'd suggest, though, is to make sure it has a bottom side that will lay still on the dash.

Also, if you go with a GPS that plugs into one of the laptop's USB ports there is no need for an external power supply. My Earthmate plugs into a usb port, so the only thing plugged into a power point is the 12v-110v inverter used to run the laptop.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:21 AM   #15
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Steve,
I'm ready to buy a GPS and start learning how to use it. I'm looking at the LT-20 model. Is this the one you have? I checked the web site for Streets and it does not say anything about voice but I'll probably get it also as it does seem very expensive.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 09:21 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We got one it works great..It is a Garmnan with N.route software.There are several brands with several software bundles.They all do pretty much the same thing and they all work great. Look for the best price should be able to get a good unit for @ 100$ or less..Check out best buy, Wall mart, etc. Roger on the USB port and No external power supply.Most of them have a magnetic mount for the roof of your truck and are water proof.They are extremely accurate. I moved my truck in the driveway and the unit informed me that I had traveled 8.3 feet..which I did.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 11:26 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sue, the LT-20 appears to be a newer version of what we have. I don't see a model number on ours but it looks just like the LT-20 even though I don't recall that number when I bought it.

If you want voice you'll need to go with DeLorme's Street Atlas 2005, which comes with the Earthmate. I have SA and also Streets and Trips 2005. I find S&T easier to learn but it doesn't have voice so I use SA2005. I like having the voice clue me a turn is coming up so neither of us has to continually watch the progress on the map. Just my opinion. S&T is a nice package, though. With either, get it before your first trip and experiment with it. Plan and drive some short trips. Check the route closely as sometimes they'll take the shortest routes which happens to mean exit an interstate and reenter on the other side of the crossroad when the exit is on a curve. I had both packages do that to me. They're both powerful once you learn how to use them. Post questions. There are numerous users of both here who will willingly help you out.

---edited---
This site http://www.earthmate.com/prod_earthmate.asp shows both the LT-20 and the one I have (the Earthmate GPS USB), which is the first one on the site.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:39 PM   #18
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Thanks Steve,
I'm been looking at the Delorme web site but will mark this one as it seems to have what I want. According to the site the USB one uses less power which is good. We've rented cars with the GPS and have really like her (we call her Mrs. Hertz). I'm glad you mentioned why some software takes you off and then right back on the freeway. I use MapQuest for directions all the time which does not do this. I bought the new Trailer Life CD. Campground finder is great just like the old cheaper one but their directions are really weird. I did a few trials of routes I knew by heart and couldn't even figure out where I was with their directions. I'll do some more studying the web site before I decide. I think either will work as the LT-20 hooks up to the computer also but may need electric where the USB one does not (uses computer's electric).
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 01:54 AM   #19
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Just a quick note and Link.

Everything and anything you need to know about GPS receivers, software and datum can be found here.

http://gpsinformation.net/

Good luck with your searching and decisions.

Chris
Old 06-20-2005, 03:14 AM   #20
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Richard you are a smart man. Paul always second guesses the Magellan. When it says go this way or that way, he always says I don't think that is right. I told him if he didn't think it was right why did he buy the darn thing in the first place. This past weekend we had a funneral to go to and then on to have the oil changed in the truck. We got to the funneral ok. Then he started. Which way do we go now? I told him that I would set the GPS. He said are you sure that it will be right? Sometimes I just can't believe him. I set it. We were on the freeway and it told him to stay in the right hand lane. He said "That doesn't sound right"? We did get to our destination, but not with his directions. I know it works and I use it all the time. Even in short trips to someplace in our town that I have never been to. As for Paul, well he is still a non believer. I don't think he knows the inner workings of why it knows where to go. ie. the eye in the sky..LOL. Kathi
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote