Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2005, 04:12 AM   #1
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
The Day is Close

Everthing is in place. We are to pick up our new Montana on Wed morning. The snow had all melted away and we're ready. THEN we got 8" snow over the weekend...the heaviest/wettest snow yet this year. The next couple of days are supposed to warm up so I'm hoping by Wed it will be all gone again. Our local golf course is supposed to open this Thurs.

When we bring Monty home Glenda and I will fire everything up and see if there are any issues that crop up. Obviously I have to test the furnace remote and the surround system. We'll likely sleep in the trailer this weekend as well. We have a month before we take it to our summer site so now's the time to get the bugs worked out.

I'm taking the PDI list from this site with us. We've been to the trailer a few times already and have looked over much of it already.

Wish us luck!!

Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 04:49 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Please keep us advised on how the PDI list worked out and what kind of problems you had ,if any....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 05:02 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Fantastic, Chester, here's hoping this runs smooth an meets or exceds all your expectations.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 06:15 AM   #4
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
The PDI list was great to have when we inspected our new coach.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 09:03 AM   #5
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Don't you just hate these late spring snows? Just when you think winter is behind you! I know you are excited to get the Monty home. We will be watching for your future post letting us know how your first encounter goes. May you enjoy many happy hours in your new wheel estate!
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 09:32 AM   #6
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Try to get a good nights sleep (ya, right!) the night prior, and take your time with the PDI. Test EVERYTHING at the dealer prior to signing. You'll be surprised how quick things get fixed, prior to getting your money! Enjoy the experience. Getting our Montana was one of the funnest days I have had in the last couple of years!!!!
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 02:48 PM   #7
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
Well, today was the day. Glenda and I picked up our new 3475 this morning. Delivery took 4 hours which is more than all of us anticipated but with PDI list in hand and previous experience we went over it with a fine tooth comb. There were only a couple of minor items that were quickly fixed. Eagle eye Glenda picked up on a couple of orange spots on the beige carpet so they had to clean that up for us. They were caused by sloppy filling in of the nail head holes in the oak trim around the slides.

We brought it home and I read the thermostat user guide. Like most of yours I have to set the temp at 79 deg to get it to cycle bewtween 68 and 73 but it seemed to do it regularly so I think we can live with it for now. Use over the next month will be a better test.

The cheapo Quest seems to work fine. DVDs recorded with SRS work fine. One of the remote speakers has a slight hiss so I'll have to look at that. Any suggestions???? I'm sure we'll replace this unit in the future.

Everything else seems to work fine so we'll cross our fingers and go forward. I'm sure I'll have questions for all of you as I start installing the satellite and other stuff.

Thanks in advance....
Old 04-06-2005, 03:12 PM   #8
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
Don't you just love that early April Ontario snow?!!!!! We have just scheduled our fiver to go in to visit Uncle Tim and Auntie Jodie at Outdoor Travel in a couple of weeks time so they can fit the Washer/Dryer and the Propane meter. Plus fix a leak from the shower into the basement. Air bags will be fitted to the truck at the same time. Ken has promised to lend us his car for the day so I guess shopping will be the order of the day in Burlington.

Hope all goes well with the new rig. We will be parked at Outdoor Travel on May 7 when we pick up the rig again and start the trip down to WDW and the Keys. Roll on - tax season is tiring!
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 04:21 PM   #9
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Brad & Glenda,
Glad your delivery went smoothly. What an exciting day when you take delivery of a new home on wheels. Hope you enjoy many happy miles.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 04:22 PM   #10
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Sounds like the same person built yours that built mine even to the hiss in one speaker, only they gave me some extra weight to carry home....a 1/2" staple covered over by the rubber membrane on the roof. Same application with the Dometic remote thermostat. Mine is six degrees off set point, but does control within 1-2 degrees. Glad that your PDI went well, ours also took about four hours. Picked up Firestone Ride-Rite air bags today, going to install them tomorrow.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 04:36 PM   #11
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Chester -

Congratulations on the new rig. Speaking, I think, for most of us that have switched from the remote heating/cooling, I think the DuoTherm is a better option and Dometic will replace for free. One advantage that Mazeef (Mike) pointed out was the option of selecting A/C fan speed. As for my favorite Quest unit, I had the hiss and the dealer sent for a new receiver. New unit, same issue. Replaced with a Yamaha receiver. Test sound on the new receiver showed the hissing speaker was bad. If its one of the rear speakers, it just unscrews. But first, take the front speaker cover off and see if the cone of the speaker drags - that's the problem with ours. Found some Cambridge speakers at Fry's Electronics (www.outpost.com) for $40 each - just replaced the two rear speakers. It was very difficult finding a reasonably priced small speaker. Again, best of luck.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:10 AM   #12
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
Hi Ron and Terri. Thanks for the advice on the speaker. I've been playing with the system for a couple of hours this afternoon. I looked at the speaker that has the most hiss and the cone seems ok. Thinking it might be the speaker I took the other satellite speaker (didn't hiss) and replaced the one that hissed with it. Same hiss. Maybe the wire??? Got a new temp wire from the receiver and put the speaker on it. Same hiss.....so must be the receiver!

I have a Sony surround in the house so one of these days I may disconnect it in here and try it in the trailer.

Has anyone tried a new receiver and used the speakers that came with the trailer?? It seems like changing the speakers can be a lot of work. Did you replace all 5 of the speakers with the Cambridge units?? Also I'd be concerned about the light speaker wire the factory has used (easy enough to change on the front and middle speakers but the satellites would be a challenge). In the house I have much heavier cable to each speaker.

Thanks again for your advice.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:44 AM   #13
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Chester

Has anyone tried a new receiver and used the speakers that came with the trailer?? It seems like changing the speakers can be a lot of work. Did you replace all 5 of the speakers with the Cambridge units?? Also I'd be concerned about the light speaker wire the factory has used (easy enough to change on the front and middle speakers but the satellites would be a challenge). In the house I have much heavier cable to each speaker.

Thanks again for your advice.
Yes. I first replaced the Quest (junk!) unit with a Sony DAV-150, and left the speakers and wire as is. Worked great, and all hiss was removed. I then upgraded all the speakers to the Sony's that came with the unit, and the sound simply got a lot better. Used the existing wires with no problems! What I ended up with looks like this.

mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 02:45 PM   #14
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
Thanks Mike. I'll do the same.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:04 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
My dad was a tv/radio repairman for many years but I definitely do not have his knowledge or skills. This is a longshot but I recall him saying sometimes reversing the wires on the speaker can eliminate a hiss. At least I think he said that. That would have been many years ago and maybe doesn't apply to today's equipment but thought I'd post it just in case..
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote