Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2006, 04:48 AM   #1
pep1977
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5248
more questions

going to pick up the trailer tomorrow. one thing i am looking at picking up is better wheel chocks, i had a travel trailer and have the wheel chocks from that, but they are the triangles that fit on the ground. i have heard rotochoks are a great investment. and i have also seen at camping world a chock that works on the same principle as the rotochok but is all metal. is there a better way to go. as both of those items cost the same. and as this unit was bought used, it does not have the end table in it. does anybody know a good alternative for this small dilemna.

pep1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 04:59 AM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Get the wheel chocks that are at CW that use the wrench (included) to tighten. There are two types and my research before we bought showed these had the best customer review. They are very easy to use and really help to stop movement. I see small tables and cupboards in lots of magazines. Take some measurements of the room you have and have fun shopping. If you need a file cabinet, a small 2 drawer should fit in this space. Have fun with your new unit.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 05:02 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I assume you are discribing the chocks that fit between the tires and have a mechanism to expand. As far as I am concerned there are two functions for chocks. (1) To prevent the coach from rolling when the truck is unhooked. (2) To prevent rocking in a parked unit. Those triangular under-the-wheel chocks are quick and easy for the first function, but of little use for the second. The expanding chocks are cumbersome for the setup procedure, but work great to significantly reduce rock. My opinion--you need both. Happy RVing....
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 05:33 AM   #4
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I got a CW circular in the mail yesterday - those chocks are on sale for $49 ($44 for President's Club). If you are not a President Club Member you may want to figure about how much $$$$ you will spend in a year (or your DW will let you spend) to see if the 10% discount will pay for the membership. I have absolutely no problem spending that much (as long as I drop my wife off at the outlet mall on the way and go by myself - no witnesses !).
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 07:04 AM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have both the triangle chocks that I use in the front and rear of the tires as well as the expandable ones for in between the tires. I have found using both has helped in my coach, also you might want to look into getting a tripod if you do not already have one. It is not worth setting the tripod up if you are going to be staying a few days at one location, but if you are going to be there more than 3-4 days I would set mine up. I was amazed at how much the movement the tripod took out of the coach, while it did not take it all out, it sure helped.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 07:06 AM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We also have both types of chocks for the same purposes that Stiles mentioned. I think you need both.

Camping World also has both coffee tables and end/lamp tables. Both of them can be purchased in a style that lifts up to regular table height so you can use it for a TV type table or a dining table or computer table. We just bought the oak lift up coffee table and really like it. Two people can sit on the sofa and eat at the coffee table.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 07:06 AM   #7
pep1977
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5248
also on the 3400, it has the central vac. installed, just wondering how good this works or do i need to get a lite vacuum to take with, just trying to get set up.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:18 AM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have the central vac and love it. It is the only thing I take with me all summer, when I bring the coach home to get winterized and stored I take the house vac in and give it one good cleaning. This has worked for me for the past 2 years.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:37 AM   #9
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
I have the Rotochocks. One of the best accesories I have bought. Really helped in stabilizing the trailer.
2007dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:35 AM   #10
Roman4
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3018
We have had no experience with the Camping World between-the-wheel chock, so I cannot comment on them. We do use the Roto-Chock, though, and I can say we are very happy with them. They might be a little more expensive than the CW product, but the Roto-Chocks seem to me to be a well-engineered and secure chock.

The only slight issue I have encountered (and I suspect I would find the same thing with any between-the-wheel chock) is that the plastic "fender skirt" (for lack of ability to think of a more descriptive term) on our unit is shaped to go down and curve inward between the two tandem wheels. I have to reach in and pull that plastic skirt outward an inch or so in order to install the chocks between the wheels. Not a major problem, and that might not be a factor with all models.

We also carry the triangular chocks for those times when we make a short stop and don't want to install the Roto-Chocks.

Roman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:53 AM   #11
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
I have heard good things about the Rotochoks, but have the BAL chocks sold through Camper’s World and they are very nice. Either should suit your needs nicely.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:37 AM   #12
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
We use the Rotochocks and I would use nothing else. One of the best things is that no tools are required to use them.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:59 AM   #13
pep1977
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5248
thank you all to have posted to my questions, it has been a great help. now i have more. have seen the maxxair vent covers on top of some trailers and am wondering how good they are. i have seen 2 different styles, one looks like a box and the other looks like something from buck rogers, i think it says fan mate. can anyone enlighten. picking up the trailer tomorrow, and going shopping for some of the things i do not have. thanks again.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:20 PM   #14
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We have them both, the box like one is a cover for the vents,allows you to leave the vents open with no fear of the cover blowing off or rain getting in. The one from Buck Rogers is a actual fan,like the fantastic fan, but the motor for the fan is OUTSIDE the trailer, supposed to be more quiet, and it seems that it is (to us anyway). Had fantastic fan for years, older technology and it was really annoying and loud, don't think the new ones are as bad, but still love our Maxair, it can hardly be heard when on low, and on high it does not rattle my nerves. Works for us. Find what works for you! Have fun in that new rig.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 12:53 PM   #15
Bighorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4626
I’ve tried quite a few different chocks and expandable wheel breaks from CW and the dealer. Now I have two Rotochoks one for each side. They are very well made and work great.
I bought them here http://www.genosgarage.com/CoastalDa...D=1121&CATID=1

They help stabilize the rig much better than the others.

Ed
Bighorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 03:24 PM   #16
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
pep1977,
I have the Maxxair shell white roof covers over all my vents in the bedroom, bathroom and over the vent next to the shower. I used the fan/mate cover over my fantastic fan in the kitchen. I have had rv's with and without these covers and I will never have another rv without them. These covers are great, you can leave your vents cracked during the day while gone to allow fresh air in and helps keep moisture from building up inside the coach. I leave my vents cracked during the week while I am not using the coach to help keep things cooler inside. As mentioned you can also leave your vents open while traveling and during rain storms. I have been very happy with my vent covers, but that is just my opinion.

Maxxair Fan/Mate Model 800 Part Number: 00-945000 for use over your fantastic fan.
Maxxair Shell White Roof Vent Cover Part Number: 00-933068
Old 01-25-2006, 04:59 PM   #17
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
You will very pleased with your central vac. We certainly are very happy with ours.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 05:37 PM   #18
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bighorn

I’ve tried quite a few different chocks and expandable wheel breaks from CW and the dealer. Now I have two Rotochoks one for each side. They are very well made and work great.
I bought them here http://www.genosgarage.com/CoastalDa...D=1121&CATID=1

They help stabilize the rig much better than the others.

Ed
Ditto that!
Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 08:02 PM   #19
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
We use the BAL wheel chocks. They work very well. Many people use the Roto-Chock. I guess, like everything else, it is a matter of personal choice. Good luck with the new RV
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 09:22 AM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We use the BAL between wheel chocks on both sides and it definitely helps. Ours have the hex head you tighten with a provided wrench. They are pretty quick and easy to install and they tighten down very nicely. That's my criteria when looking at chocks - just how tightly will they grip the tires. These are quick to setup. It only takes a few seconds for each side.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote