Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2005, 02:20 PM   #1
Montana_4342
Established Member

M.O.C. #4342
New England RV Park?

Can anyone recommend a nice RV site in New Engkland? We would like to visit an area where we can observe the changing foliage and see some interesting sites as well. Thanks!

Montana_4342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:28 PM   #2
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Rudi,

We just left New England a month ago.

We stayed up in upstate NY, at the Niagara Falls KOA. http://www.niagarakoa.com/

Not a bad place. Really close in to the falls. Great dining, locally, as well.

After that, we went to Plattsburgh, NY, and stayed at the Shady Oaks RV Park.

Again, not a bad place.

The neatest, (mainly because it was right on a lake,) was the Lakeside Campgrounds in Island Pond, Vermont. http://www.lakesidecamping.com/

We then stayed at the Brattleboro North KOA. http://koa.com/where/vt/45110/index.htm

Another nice place.

Maybe we thought they were all so great because the weather was outstanding. Or maybe we’re just pushovers, and haven’t really found a bad camp site, yet.

We then went to the Boston area, and stayed at the Boston/Cape Cod KOA. http://koa.com/where/ma/21109/

Stayed extra time, too. Very close-in to the city.

We went down through Connecticut, and stayed at the Riverdale Farms Campground, in Clinton, CT.

After that, we left New England for the MOC Great Lakes Rally in Indiana.

It seems that each state up there has a campgrounds association, and the grounds list through them. They are, of course, still in the Woodall’s book, too.

We’re presently near Pigeon Forge, TN, waiting for the fall colors to start up. Maybe hang out here for a month. My wife’s got a pile of brochures she wants to read up on for visiting various places. I can only remind her of the price of diesel, weighed against the necessity of hearing this or that country singer after a fifty mile drive….

Happy Camping,
Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 05:23 AM   #3
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
I live in New England. Two excellent campgrounds in FOLIAGE country would be Danforth Bay (our favorite) and Sugar Ridge in Vermont. The Vermont one is closer to foliage areas but Danforth Bay isn't bad either. Both campgrounds take big rigs but the sites are better (IMO) at Danforth in New Hampshire. They both have web sites.
captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 03:02 PM   #4
Montana_4342
Established Member

M.O.C. #4342
Captbanjo
Thanks for the info. We've decided to take your advise and stay at the Danforth Bay Camping Resort. It sounds like a great place to spend our time. We'll be stopping at the Seaport Campground (Mystic, Connecticut)on the first night and on the way back. We appreciate your input and we will report back to you how things turned out. Right now our plans are to leave on the 5th of October. The entire trip will probably take about a week.
Rudi and Ellen
Old 09-29-2005, 07:25 AM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Nice post, Steve. We'll save that info for our proposed trip, Fall of 2006, Lord willing.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 12:23 AM   #6
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Anyone traveling to New England.

There is a good web site for campground reviews at.

Northeast Campground Reviews and Camping Information at That's Camping™
http://www.thatscamping.com/

You have to remember though this is just another web forum.
Like anything it is easier to complain on the web than it is to complement.

Gyro(Steve) I hope you had a good time in New England.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:47 AM   #7
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Captbanjo,

We’ll be looking into those places for next fall, as well.

Jrgwdenner,

Thanks.

While at Island Pond, (Lakeside Campgrounds,) we drove over to Lake Willoughby, and found that there’s a campground right at the southern shore of the lake. (My family used to vacation near there when I was a kid, plus the dogs can go into the lake with us!) It’s the Whitecaps RV Park, I think it is. (Kim’s got the info stashed.)

We would love to be there in the fall, next year. The trees should start to change around Labor Day. Kim’s planning on making reservations for the place, because it’s small, and the sites that’d handle our Monty are spoken for early. It may be a smallish park, and civilization’s amenities are a ride down, (or up,) the road from it. But it’d be a nice place if it’s swimming weather.

But there was nothing wrong with Lakeside Campgrounds.

Uhftx,

Thanks for the link. Info is a good thing!

We enjoyed New England. Aside from the fuel prices, I got to go through places I hadn’t been in over two decades. Almost didn’t recognize my family’s house when I saw it!

I was saddened to find out that the old Italian eatery we used to get our pizzas from was no longer in existence, though.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 12:05 PM   #8
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Rudi,

I think the L sites and M sites are some of the best. Don't know when you'll be there, but my wife and I will be at L2 from Oct. 10th - 15th. Our last hurrah for the season.
captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 02:15 PM   #9
Montana_4342
Established Member

M.O.C. #4342
Captbanjo,
We had to make a slight change in our departure date to Danforth. We will now be leaving on the 10th, stay at Seaport Campground in Mystic, Connecticut the 1st night, and will arrive at Danforth on the 11th. We'll look you up at L2. Thanks for the tip on the best sites. We'll reserve one of them. Looking forward to meeting you.
Rudi and Ellen
Old 09-30-2005, 02:23 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for all the great info. I'm saving this for next year's foray into New England, also.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote