Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2005, 10:10 AM   #1
timbuktu78
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3641
wireless connection?

hey all,

the place i'm at doesn't have an internet connection and i would like to get it. i think the cheapest way to do that is to use my verizon phone. however, verizon charges $40/mo to use that capability on my phone and if i use it during peak hours, it counts on my minutes. switching phone companies is not an option. are there any verizon moc members out there who can help?

thanks!

timbuktu78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 10:14 AM   #2
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I use cingular you can get it w/data card and no phone. unlimited access for $60 you watch the promotions and get the card free or little cost, it iss nom $299. they say. if you check your work or military AKO Email and get a discount check on line and enter your address at the bottom
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 01:30 PM   #3
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
my verizon doesnt cost anything except minutes to use the internet connection. no minutes charge after 9PM and weekends. I'm on America Choice network and as long as I have a digital signal, I can "connect2net". You might check out this mobile office kit, that includes software and a con nection between computer and phone.
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 04:30 PM   #4
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
I recently signed up for Verizon Broadband/National Access. It is $60 per month with unlimited time. In those places where broadband isn't available, the National Access works quite well. My connection averages 144 kbs on N. A. and broadband (where available) is highspeed. I am in Rapid City where the nearest plug in is at the laundry. My computer is not a laptop so carrying it across the campground is not something I want to do. I used my Verizon phone before I got this system. My fastest connection speed was around 14.4 and often was much slower than that. It would take over 1/2 half hour just to update McAfee. Bummer. I am happy with this system even at $60 per month.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 05:44 PM   #5
Montana_139
Montana Master

M.O.C. #139
We use Verizon Express Network. No charge except for minutes if not on night or weekends. Speed is usually 28.8k but can be up to 230.4k.

Glenn
Montana_139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 06:52 PM   #6
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Call Verizon and ask if your specific plan includes free access to ExpressNet. That is the 128Kpbs capability Your plan may, or may not. If it does, ExpressNet access will only costs minutes, and those are free after 9PM. Quick2.net is a freebie, but VERY slow...14, maybe 28Kbps at best. The Mobile Office kit and cable run around $70-$80, one time expense.

If you go Broadband, the necessary Mobile Service card will cost around ?? $50 ?? ?? $80 ?? after rebate. Service is around $80/month, nice and FAST, but mainly in the Metropolitan areas.

That is about it, in a nutshell, for Verizon. I've used it for 2 1/2 years "full time". The key is to call them and ask about YOUR plan and what is available.

Best,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 08:54 PM   #7
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
We have Verizon and recently ordered the mobil office kit for our phone. We found that they had 2 new upgrades to our LG phone since last year and so we had to special order it, about $59. We use Quicknet (and yes it is slow) but it is better than nothing. We have the most problems getting onto the Verizon Wireless site.. go figure. Unless you need a faster download, this is quite adequate. We just use it after 9 or on weekends. Good luck...
Myrna
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 05:29 AM   #8
Gene Chaltry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #735
I also use the Mobile phone kit. It cost me $40.00. no other cost except for minutes used. After 9 PM and weekends no minutes used. Am using it right now at the Great Lakes Rally. Hardly any signal and connected right away. Would recommend it to anybody.
Gene Chaltry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 03:37 PM   #9
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
I have the office mobile kit and it cost me $19 or $29 (forget now) at Circut City. Works great.

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 07:08 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have cingular and don't pay anything extra. We can connect for data regardless of having a digital or analog signal. The software just sees the phone as a modem, same as any computer modem, so doesn't care what kind of signal. However, this method is very slow on analog but it works. We've had wifi for so long now that I haven't set up the software on this laptop but did use it on the prior laptop including at the rally at Pla-Mor last year. I had to buy the cable to connect phone to laptop for about $40 from Nokia.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 12:34 PM   #11
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
We use verizon and meets most of our needs.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote