Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2005, 02:49 AM   #1
Sunseekers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #710
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunseekers
Removing hitch from truck

What are some of the easier ways of taking the hitch out of the truck?

What are the pros & cons of leaving the hitch attached to the 5th wheel and drive out from under it?

Any suggestions to help save the back would be appreciated

Sunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 03:24 AM   #2
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
It mostly depends on the model of hitch and the weight of the pieces. My two hitches were very easy to take apart into two pieces and they each weigh only 15 to 20 lbs. I unhook from the trailer, remove 2 pins and lift the rocker head off the support legs. Then remove 4 pins and remove the leg assembly off the rails. The rails remain in the truck.

I have seen people leave the hitch on the pin but I would not recommend it.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 03:45 AM   #3
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I use an engine hoist to lift the hitch out of the truck although, I believe it also comes apart.

Don, WHY do you not recommend leaving the hitch attached to the pin? The weight certainly isn't an issue. Is it safety or something? It does appear that it might be hard to align for reattachment.

Reason for question is I am curious. Thinking about getting rid of stuff including the hoist...
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 04:16 AM   #4
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
I agree with Don about leaving the hitch attached to the pin....think that it would be very difficult to reattach in the TV and if you were to try to remove it while attached to the pin might be somewhat dangerous. The procedure for removing mine from the truck is one pin for the hitch and four pins on the feet of the base assembly and the rails stay attached to the bed of the truck. Mine also seperates into two pieces and are removable one at time. Don must have Wheaties for breakfast, think mine must weigh about 50 pounds or so each.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 04:45 AM   #5
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
I agree with realignment if the hitch is left on the trailer. I tried it one time with our other fifth wheel. It won't work. Then I had a big job. Mine comes in two pieces. Pull two pins for tome part and four for bottom. Usually stays in the truck all summer unless I have to haul something.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 08:02 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I also do not understand what is the problem with leaving the hitch attached to the pin. When hooking back up why couldn't you just put the truck under the hitch and drop it somewhat close to the rails and then manually move the hitch to the proper location? Unless there's a problem getting the hitch to release without being attached to the rails to hold it still?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 09:09 AM   #7
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
We have a Reese 16k hitch and it definitely weighs more than 50 lbs! I put a 2"x4" in the rafters of our garage and use a small blocka and tackle to lift the hitch out.

After banging my head on the hitch a few times as it hung from the rafters I built a small dolly almost like a mechanics dolly and lowered the hitch onto it so I can stow it in a corner.
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 10:57 AM   #8
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
I'm thinking of leaving the hitch on the truck for the winter for extra weight over the real axles. That extra 80-100 pounds would help in the snow. I just need to get a cover for it.

Fred
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 12:17 PM   #9
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I dont have any problem reattaching my hitch to the rails on the floor, when hanging from the pin, I just roll the truck under and get it as close as possable to the rails, pull the handle hitch drops, I pull forward or the wife does if you use her, then I drop it into the rails and pin them up, then my wife or I just back up into the pin and I am all connected
Old 09-01-2005, 01:48 PM   #10
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Don, That sounds good. I'm going to try it tomorrow when I put the Cambridge in storage for a week or so.
Thanks for putting the alignment concerns to rest.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 01:54 PM   #11
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
The easiest way I found to remove the hitch is to let my son-in-law do it! Works great!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 02:58 PM   #12
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Steves -

I like your way, but they're never around when you need them. I bought an electric hoist at Harbor Freight tools for $59. I then mounted it to the ceiling in the garage. I fastened two straps from garage door cable with aluminum keepers. I hoist it up, drive under and put my four pins in (also have the Reese). I originally used a very cheap block and tackle and the rope broke. My wife wanted me to drive the truck while she pulled on the rope. I heard a crash and got out and didn't see her. Went over a ways and there she was laying on her back. That's when I decided to go electric. One person job now.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 03:08 PM   #13
jerryb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #137
I either use a John Deer to lift it out or leave it hitched to the pin and use the landing legs to lift it above the rails and then pull out, just reverse to reinstall. The only tricky part is geting lined up so it lowers into the slots in the rails. The head weighs more than 50# the legs are not to heavy. Not a bad 1 man job.
jerryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 03:44 AM   #14
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
I guess I will have to weigh the hitch pieces because they sure don't feel that heavy. I would think if the hitch is 100#s (2 pieces at 50#s each) that would add extra weight to the overhang? And how do you mount the stabalizer? I just don't care to look at the hitch hanging from the pin. Remember I have the Lil Rocker and it is a very compact hitch so it is easy to lift. I don't like to change the tailgate back. Now that is heavy and awkward. Just my two cents worth.

Old 09-02-2005, 12:13 PM   #15
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
Don ; I've got to lil rocker also, I've never seen a problem, just pull the 4 pins and pick it out!!! and I'm 72! no fuss, then I can go out and cut my winter supply of firewood and forget about those home heating prices!! Dave
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 04:13 AM   #16
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Way to go Dave! I hit the big 60 this year but it hasn't slowed me down much (yet). A few more aches and pains in some different places. We have 200 acres here that I farm part of it and the rest is timber so takes a lot of work to keep it going. Still cutting wood but I built a wood spliter that fits one of the tractors. Barb is still teaching so we plan our RV trips around crops and school vacations. Still enjoy every minute on the road with the RV. I better go eat my wheaties. Got some farming to finish today.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:06 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
FredG, I took ours out the first year and left it in every winter after that. You can get a cover for the hitch if that's a concern but I figured the snow and ice were not going to hurt the hitch any more than rain and sun in the summer. A good lubing in the spring was all I did to prep for the season again. I did occasionally remove the hitch when I needed the full bed for a load but that's it.

Those of us with shortbed trucks and the Reese kwik-slide have the additional weight of the slider to contend with also.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 09:14 AM   #18
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
When it comes to removing my Superglide I have to call all my neighbors for help. I swear that thing must weight 350 lbs. With my arm troubles I am having the guy across the street has really been helping me out, he and his son come over and pick this thing up like it is a bag of candy. Thank goodness for really great neighbors.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote