Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2005, 06:30 AM   #1
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
katrina

Just thought i would let everyone know an update on N.O. area. You may be seeing on news but the situaton is not getting any better. The 17th canal levee has a break in it about the size of a football field and is now starting to flood the downtown area and the french quarters. This area did not have any water until the levee break. They are having trouble trying to stop or plug this hole as you can imagine trying to plug a hole the size of a football field with water rushing through it. Also there are mian gas line breaks and fires, the main water system is completely contaiminated. There are hundreds of poeple that are being rescued from there roof tops and some that are still stuck in there attics if they did not have a way to cut their way out too the roof.There are going too be thousands of people without homes and jobs. They will have no means of supporting their families and going too doctors and people with children with no way to get clothes etc. It will be months before any kind of light will be seen. My wife and i are going too take a family in as soon as our power is back on so they do not have too stay in shelter with thir children. That's the lest we can do. After all my LORD said in Matt.25 that we are to feed,clothe,take care of sick etc. for if we have doon it unto them we have done it unto him. I urge you if you can spare anything monitary are even come and been a volenter at at shelter it would be appreciated and that should be sent the the red cross for our area. Thanks for your prayers this is a really bad situation for all. I am so very blessed Because of JESUS.

pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:47 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
pud2

You have all our prayers! Thanks for the update. God will bless you even more for opening up your heart and home! Good luck!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 07:32 AM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
pud2, thank you for your report on New Orleans. It is so sad to see so much devastation. Thank you for your concern for others and your witness.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 05:23 AM   #4
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Our prayers are with all of you in the devasted areas. Bless you for your efforts to help someone left homeless. I'm wondering if there wouldn't be some way for authorities to get some of the homeless to relatives and/or friends outside the stricken areas? It is heartbreaking to see the lawlessness that is going on right now also.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 06:12 AM   #5
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
pud2

Please keep us posted on how you are doing and the conditions in the area. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 03:08 PM   #6
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
Just to let you know Canada has offered any help it can.

>ADVERTISEMENT<

'Just ask and we'll be there,' PM tells Bush
Canadian military puts troops on standby, prepares to load ship with equipment for aid

CANADIAN PRESS

OTTAWA - Canada will send the United States any help needed in the aftermath of hurricane Katrina, Prime Minister Paul Martin told President George W. Bush today.
"If you need help, just ask and we'll be there," he told Bush in a 15-minute phone call that was to have been a sharp discussion of the softwood lumber dispute but instead became a call of sympathy and condolence.

Martin said Bush didn't ask for help, but predicted he will.

"They're in the process of trying to put all the co-ordination together and they're going to take us up on it," the prime minister said in Edmonton.

"They're trying to determine their needs right now."

White House spokesman Scott McLellan said a number of countries have offered aid.

"We are open to all offers of assistance from other nations, and I would expect that we would take people up on offers of assistance when it's necessary."

The Canadian military put troops on standby and prepared to load a ship with gear and equipment that could be useful in the aftermath of the great storm that wrecked much of the American Gulf Coast and devastated New Orleans.

The Canadian Red Cross was sending a team of 100 to 200 experienced disaster workers to bolster the American Red Cross staff in the region.

Martin, attending provincial centennial celebrations in Edmonton, told a sympathetic crowd of his talk with Bush.

"I expressed our condolences and our sympathies and I confirmed Canada stands with those who have suffered so much in Katrina's wake.

"I said on your behalf that, if you need help, just ask and we'll be there, now and in the weeks and months ahead. That we will do whatever we can for as long as it takes to help our neighbour and our friend deal with this terrible, terrible tragedy."

Gen. Rick Hillier, chief of the Canadian defence staff, said he spoke with his American counterpart, Gen. Dick Myers, to offer assistance.

He said Myers thanked him, but said the Pentagon is still analyzing what is needed.

Hillier said the military's Disaster Assistance Response Team or DART, which can provide medical care, power and clean water, could head south on 48 hours notice.

He said Canada could provide transport planes or helicopters, electrical generators, water purification systems, small boats for navigating the waterways of the region and engineering equipment and expertise.

He said his staff are planning to load a selection of such gear about a warship to be ready in the event Washington asks for help.

It's best to be prepared, he said.

"We want to help. We believe that's what being friends and allies is all about."

In September 1992, after hurricane Andrew struck Florida, a Canadian naval supply ship was sent in with more than 250 people who helped in rebuilding.

Suzanne Charest of the Canadian Red Cross said a team of 100 - perhaps as many as 200 - volunteers is being assembled for relief work.

"We're recruiting only from our existing pool of experienced people," she said.

The workers will help with the logistics of moving and supporting relief workers. They will assist with family services among the homeless and displaced and in feeding people in some of the 270 shelters being run by the American Red Cross.

"They are providing 500,000 hot meals a day in conjunction with the Southern Baptists," Charest said.

The Red Cross is also collecting cash donations for the relief work.

She said the American Red Cross estimated its operations will cost more than $130 million.

"That's without having done a full assessment."

Foreign Affairs says people who wish to send help should contribute to a reputable aid agency, such as the Red Cross.

Canada has also offered to open up its national emergency stockpiles if needed. They contain portable hospital units, complete with beds, blankets and pharmaceuticals.

Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty has spoken to David Wilkins, the American ambassador, to offer help.

The province's health ministry has offered an emergency medical team and various hydro operations have offered teams skilled in restoring power. Hundreds of thousands are without electricity in the region.
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 03:19 PM   #7
montanared
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3903
DiananColin,

I am an old soldier.... 30 years in the military. I clearly remember what your countrymen did to help get Americans out of Iran in the early 80's. I was greatful then and even more greatful now. Although we have our differences, we know we can count on you, our neighbor, when the chips are down. Thank you!!
montanared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 12:46 PM   #8
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
It's great to hear we have friends.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 01:29 PM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
DiananColin, you live in a great country, even before this offer to help with hurricane relief. We have enjoyed traveling in western Canada so much that it's given us a desire to see more of Canada. The people are so friendly and seem genuinely happy without pretense. We've had a great time here.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote