Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2005, 01:06 PM   #1
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
At our wit's end

More Montana lies! Don't have the time or energy to start from the beginning, but suffice to say that we have had nothing but problems with our Montana, our dealer and the factory. We had a frame flex problem which cause a lot of damage. Stopped at a dealer near Valdosta GA who treated us OK. They followed the recommended Montana fix and it didn't work and we were told by the dealer that we had to take it to the factory. We spent nine days at this dealer's. They were the ones who talked to Montana, not us. We were told by them that Montana would pay for lodging and pay for the fuel to the factory. This we believed because at the time others were having this same problem and had threads in this forum regarding their problems and that the factory would pay their fuel and lodging. And they were paid according to their later entries.

After waiting forever for Montana to pay us--we didn't care about fuel reimbursement since we were planning to go in that direction, but it would have been nice--emailed them to find out what the hold up was and were told that they weren't going to pay! This is a final blow after not getting warranty work done that was promised and was all due to crappy workmanship at the factory. Never take their word for anything---get it in writing.

As far as we are concerned, Montana is represented by a bunch of liars. Their quality control is non-existant and we don't see them standing behind their product. There are a lot of other brands out there in the same price range--can't imagine that any of them could be worse. We sure would recommend that anyone who is thinking about buying a Montana, think long and hard.

mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 02:33 PM   #2
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Hi Mobilrvn, I am so sorry that you are having problems and I wish I could tell you what to do, But I can not do that some how you got a bad unit because most of us have had problem's and have either fixed things or made Keystone come to the plate and do what they said that they would do.I am hoping that you will get your problems taken care of... Please let us know....
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 01:49 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I'm sorry your experience has been so bad. Even with our unit four years old and out of warranty, Keystone has bent over backwards for us in making repairs. Have you talked to Lon Nelson in Customer Service? It wouldn't hurt to give him a call and tell him what has happened.

It's hard for me to believe that Keystone people would out and out lie to you. Our experience and the experiences of so many other Montana owners would say that they are good people.

Again, I hope that you can get your problems resolved to your satisfaction and that you will become a happy Montana owner.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 01:00 AM   #4
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Bill & Mo
We are so sorry to hear about your problems with your Montana. I wish we could tell you how to solve your challenges, however each and every case is different. I would like to point out that your challenge seems to be more the exception than the rule. Most of us here on the forum have had 95% good experiences with Keystone. We have been really impressed with the way Keystone has stood behind their product. In fact just a little over a week ago when we were ready to trade for a new fifth wheel we traded for another Montana! We have had few problems and have been happy with our units. Hope you can soon find a solution to your needs.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 01:07 AM   #5
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Mobilrvn, Very sorry to hear about your issue with Keystone. If I understand correctly, the repairs have been made and the remaining issue is the reimbursement of the motel cost? I can related to the feelings and frustration your note projects as the source of the problems was the factory assemble/work. Unfortunately for us this seems to be a problem throughout the RV industry and is not solely within the Montana/Keystone product. Hopefully, they will hear these complaints / discussions
and take appropriate step to guarantee what goes out the door is quality. I would suggest that you start dealing directly with Keystone and explain your issues calmly, politely and ask them for fair treatment. From past reports they have been accommodating but don't trust a third party to present your case. Suggest you start with contacting Jeff Rank and see if a mutual agreement can be reached. Best wishes on your success.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 01:36 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Your experience with Keystone is a nightmare.We have not yet ordered our Montana and although we expect quality issues as quality throughout the RV industry is poor, we chose Montana over other brands because of their history of working with owners to correct quality problems as evidenced in this forum.We have met and talked with many keystone folks including Jeff Rank.I just cannot understand the problems you are having..I get the feeling there is something missing from this story.

Have you e mailed or spoke to Jeff Rank...If so what was his response.

After thought..Having NOT ordered our Montana yet we certainly do not want what happened to you happen to us. We would appreciate more details if you would.You may PM us if you do not wish to post them on the forum..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 03:12 AM   #7
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
mobilrvn, we are sorry to see by your post that you are upset with Keystone. I am sure that you went through a lot of stress over getting your unit repaired and it is showing here on the forum. Take the recommendations of the others here and contact Jeff Rank to explain your concerns. I would refrain from calling them "liars" while talking to them as you know being calm will be to your advantage while trying to work out a problem. As for my personal experiences with my dealer and Keystone, I could not be happier, but I did not have any major problems to deal with. I would recommend a Montana product to anyone asking about them. Good luck.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 03:59 AM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Since Montana is the number 1 seller in the nation, I have to believe they are doing a lot right. I'm with Rich, something is misssing in this story. Our unit has been almost, 99%, perfect and the few times we have had to contact Keystone, we have gotten immediate response.
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 07:02 AM   #9
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Also sorry to hear about your problems with your Montana and Keystone. Since we don't know your whole story, can only encourage you to pursue your grievances with patience and perserverence. When we visited Keystone in August we were talking with some people in the waiting room of customer service who were there for the fourth time to have more repairs done to their unit (not a Montana) - they were not happy to be there again, but they said that Keystone took care of their motel bills and had treated them well.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 05:28 AM   #10
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
When we had our slide leak a couple of weeks ago we called our dealer and they told us that since we had gotten the unit 1 year and 3 days ago to take it to a closer dealer as it would most likely be warrenty work. We called and made appt and then we called Keystone so that it would be noted by them and the lady Paul talked to told us that they would like to have it looked at sooner if possilbe and told us to call and go to the Sprinter dealer and they could take care of it. he was able to get us in in 5 days. It happened that the tape on the roof next to the side of the slider was loose and Paul had pressed it down tight and when the technician looked at it he said we were good to go. we appreciated Keystone wanting us to get it taken care of as soon as possible
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 08:09 AM   #11
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
MoBillTuxRex&Princess,

I would advise you send this problem to the help line at Trailer Life magazine.
There's nothing like a negative write-up in a national magazine to get the attention you need.

Ken,
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 02:31 PM   #12
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Finally some good news on the reimbursement front. I emailed Montana again, requesting reconsideration and mentioned the fact that others in our same situation regarding the frame flex repairs had been paid for lodging at Goshen and had been paid mileage according to the Montana Owners forums. Montana agreed to pay us for the motel (not all of our time spent out of our rig with the problems we have had--but the most expensive part anyway) and for mileage from Lake Park, GA where we were when told to bring the unit to Goshen. Of course, this is what we had been promised while we were in Lake Park, so it isn't some grand gesture on the part of Montana.

The upshot of the email to us from Montana was, that it had all been reviewed because of what had transpired here in the forum. So this group has the power to change the minds of Montana's management. Felt that we had jumped through all the hoops and that a lawsuit wouldn't make us whole. Would have tried the "Trailer Life" approach had this not happpened. Still not a Montana fan with all the problems we have experienced, but now have a better feeling toward the company. Having said that, still think that it was the pressure generated here that tipped the scales to what was right. Still waiting to see if we get sent the parts to finish fixing our Montana.

Thank all of you for caring and for your support,
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 07:35 PM   #13
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
That's great to hear they came thru for you. "Knock on wood" We haven't had any real problems with our trailer that the dealer hasn't fixed for us. We had a minor problem with the toilet leaking water when we flushed it, but since was discovered to be a broken reserve tank under the seat. Other than that no issues.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 11:43 PM   #14
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Its nice to hear that the power of this forum helped you out in your problems.keystone sure doesn`t want unhappy MOC people.A lot of these fine people here are repeat Montana buyers.

I`am happy for you that finally ever thing is coming together.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote