Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2005, 02:15 AM   #1
Montana_4530

M.O.C. #4530
axle information please

Hi. I am new to this site. I am getting ready to retire and buying a 5th wheel. So far the Montana 2955RL is heading the list. But I have been unable to find the answers to the following:
Type of brakes on 2955RL
Type and weight of axles
Ply of tire that comes with
As a single grandma I would appreciate any suggestions in any area of trailering. Also, generator - best to put in front storage or somewhere else?
Thank you

Montana_4530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 03:55 AM   #2
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
I am assuming you are buying new 2005 or 2006? I am sure someone will be able to answer your specific questions for the year model you are looking at. But in general all Montana's have axles rated to the load listed on the manufacturers identification plate on the outside left side near the bedroom slide and inside a cabinet near the front door. Typically all the brakes are electric shoe and drum type but I believe you can order a Montana with disc brakes? Tires are also rated for the specified load. Steve will usually jump in here with specific details on your specific year and model so let us know the year you are looking at.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 08:49 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welcome aboard, Chelangal! Probably the most accurate information would come from Keystone, the manufacturer. Here's their number. Ask for Customer Service and tell them what you want to know.
(574) 535-2100

Good luck. Let us know if you don't get answers or have more questions.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 01:21 AM   #4
Montana_4530

M.O.C. #4530
Good Morning: I am looking at the 2006/2955RL. I left at message at Keystone as well as sending them an email. As of this a.m. I have not received an answer.
Right now I am dealing on a tow vehicle. I HATE "car/truck" dealing - they play all these stupid (in my opinion) games. So I just keep looking until I find the dealer that wants to deal.
The dealership for the trailer so far has been wonderful and has given me what I think is a great price (32% off sticker price). Is that a good price or should I keep looking?
Next question: Generators - I am getting a price for them to put in the Onan 5500G. Is there a better way to go - brand/size, etc.
Certainly appreciate this forum and all you good folks. I was starting to get anxious about making a bad choice and I am determined to enjoy the process from start to finish.
Oh, guess I do have another ? - I have wanted to do the Alcan HiWay for years - good deal/ bad deal pulling a 5th wheel?
Later and thank you so very much.
Karyl
Montana_4530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 03:24 AM   #5
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
You came to the right place. One or more MOC members have already gone through what you are right now so there is lots of help. I agree on the car dealers. I tell the salesman if he gets up and leaves the room so do I. If he can't make the deal then get the guy in there that can. I don't play their games. Have walked out with them following me all the way to my car. Once I got a phone call several hours later and they said they would meet my offer.

32% is about right but work on getting any extras thrown in that you want up front including the gen. It is much easier to deal with one business if you have warranty issues.

Onan makes a fine gen and several here have them. Others have gone with Honda or Yamaha so there should be lots of info. Just search for "generator" on the site and you will get the rest of the story.

The Alaska trip is fantastic. I haven't personally done it but have been following MOC members Glen & Judy (jrgwdenner) on their trip complete with photos and it has been a great experience for me. Almost like being there, well almost but not really. Makes me want to go though. Their trip has had its problems but they have made the best of it and every day has been an adventure. Search for "jrgwdenner" but I will bet they will be responding to your message soon along with others that have been there.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote