Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2005, 06:13 AM   #1
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
no flame on this candle

Some of us like to burn candles, but have found that we have a bit of trouble cleaning the black streaks off the ceiling of Montana. I found this Candlesense Warmer the other day here in Goshen. I have only tried it once, but it does release the scent of the candle. Web site:

http://www.provocraft.com/products/d...temnum=28-1001

Enjoy

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 06:28 AM   #2
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Carol ... we got a candle warmer about a year ago and I love it! I've got ours on the ledge around the curio cabinet ... that way it's not likely to get bumped. I have found that the fragrance is not as strong as it is when lit so now I buy candles that are a stronger fragrance to make up for it.

I have also found that if removed from the heat the night before, the candle will be solid enough for travel, although it's still wise to put the lid on, just in case. (I always get candles in a container with a lid for this reason.)
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 06:36 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
I had mine on the curio area, but got worried bout the yorks, so have moved to the bedroom. Will see how I like that. I don't want the "smell" real strong, so picked something a bit milder. Ended up turning off last night as it was more than strong enough for me. Picking a smell/scent and how long to run, as we both know will be a totally personal choice. I also will purchase candles in glass jars, they say the bottom can be up to 3 5/16 inches in diameter. Mine was turned off last night about 11 and was solid, as you point out, this AM. This is a smaller candle, only about 4 inches tall.

I think I am gonna like it a lot too!
Old 09-05-2005, 06:58 AM   #4
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
Another option is to buy soy candles. They are virtually soot free. We have a couple of gals in my town who make them and I've had several and there is no comparison with the black stuff. Even the container stays nice looking. So, if you still like to see a flickering candle, go soy!
mfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 07:36 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Soy, no kidding, never heard of that! Wow, what we don't learn here at MOC!
Old 09-05-2005, 08:17 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We tried the soy candles and also the smokeless candles when we were in Austin and Fredericksburg and had the problems with candles. Although advertised as smokeless they still put out just a little smoke. For weekenders/vacationers it likely would not be a problem but for us it still caused the black streaks. It just took longer to cause them. Sigh. Thanks for the idea, though.

Carol, the candles Vicki buys don't put out a real strong odor. It just takes a little bit stronger-odor candle to accomplish whatever level you liked with flame candles, from what we're seeing.

I wonder if the candle warmer could be put on a cheap timer to turn it on and off a couple of times each day. I don't think they draw very much current but haven't checked.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 08:24 AM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I had never thought to burn a candle in the rv. Some how I just cannot get passed the open flame, especially with my little puppy (bundle of energy). I bought those glade plug-ins. Seem to work ok for me, but then I am not really into all that "smelly" stuff. LOL! Actually the coach smells like bounce these days, and on really hot days it is 3x's as strong. I read somewhere that mice do not like the smell of bounce, now there is bounce in every cabinet, drawer, under the kitchen island, all around the sofa/chairs. I do not want to get mice so I try just about everything, including those sonic plug in things that are supposed to scare the mice away. Just curious where does a fella find those candle warmers?
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 08:29 AM   #8
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Montana Sky,

I purchased mine at a Bob Evans Restaurant.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:38 AM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
CountryGuy,
That is great, I am going to Chicago next month and there is a Bob Evans resturant right off of I-80 on the way to the family house. Will stop in and check them out. Thanks again.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:41 AM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
No problem, you are welcome, not sure if you can order from that web site, did not really look around at it that much, but might be an option.

Parts of I-80 have been totally closed all summer for construction, you might want to review that situation, if you have not already.

Enjoy your family visit!
Old 09-05-2005, 09:19 AM   #11
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
I found ours online but I've since seen them at either Target or WalMart.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 12:03 PM   #12
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Wonderful,
Just the thought of more road construction. I am hoping that by the time I leave in October most of it will be done. It seems to me that every year when I head that way I hit construction on the Idaho/Montana borders as well as the Montana/Wyoming border. Heck last year even hit it on the S. Dakota/Wyoming border and then again on the Iowa/Illinois border. I just could not get AWAY from it. Oh the joys of traveling. =)
Old 09-05-2005, 01:10 PM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
CountryGuy, I think parts of I 80 by Chicago are ALWAYS closed for construction! If you ever have to go through that bottleneck under Lake Michigan/Chicago, just count on it and relax and have plenty of patience.

We have Bob Evans all over here in Mich. I'll check there also.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 01:28 PM   #14
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Dave,

Went through/around the Chicago mess last fall, will NEVER go near there again. Sorry, don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings, but this ole gal ain't got enough patience for that ever again.

So, when we needed to go to Minneapolis, we drove through the UP of Michigan. When we came home via Iowa, we went way south of Chicago and went via Kankakee Illinois. It adds a number of miles to the trip, but we would rather look at country side and corn fields than sit in traffic for 3.5 hours and not moving.

Cheers all!
Old 09-05-2005, 01:29 PM   #15
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Carol, I have been using one in the Monty all spring and summer. I use the tart candles and they are just right. I like it no mess or flame. I put the holder in the freezer for 10 minutes and the tart pops right out!
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 02:37 PM   #16
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
CountryGuy,
I was born in Chicago and lived there for many years, all of my family is still in that area so I tend to end up there at least two or three times a year. It sure is nice to visit, but glad some days to get out of that area. I am more of a South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana type of guy rather than the bigger cities.