Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2005, 04:06 PM   #1
Montana_1133

M.O.C. #1133
Propane Safety

Is it safe to drive with Propane on to run refrigerator?

Montana_1133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 04:33 PM   #2
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Everything is relative in this question. Is it "safe" to drive with the propane and fridge on? More or less, "Sure", if you aren't involved in an accident which ruptures the propane line, or if you don't refuel the truck with the propane and fridge "on". Is it "safer" to have the propane and the fridge "off" while traveling? Also, "Sure!"

All that being said, if you think the chances of you having an accident which involves the propane line or tank is 1:million, and the chance of an accident which would rupture the propane tank anyway is 1:10 million, then maybe it isn't a big deal. Just remember to fuel your truck without the rig attached. We almost never travel more than one tank of fuel will take us in a travel day. We usually refuel after setting up in the RV park, or before hitching up in the morning. Alternatively, shut off the fridge and propane before pulling up to the pumps.

Just MHO.

patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 04:45 AM   #3
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
There is a whole thread with many many posts on this topic. Do a search of the forum on the subject. Bottom-line to-date after doing exhaustive searching I have not been able to find one incident of an explosion or fire caused at a gas station due to the refrig of an RV running on propane having been left on. Secondly, I have only found two reports of RV propane tank explosions and both were not during or after an accident involving other vehicles or while going down the road. Both happened when the unit was parked. I personally drive with the refrig on, fuel with the refrig on and don’t think anything of it. Others have their opinions and thoughts regarding this topic, now you have mine.

God Bless America
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 06:28 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Gotta go with Jeff on this one.

I have too much food in the frig to run with it off and would not be willing to take the chance of turning it off to fuel up and forget to turn it back on.

And like Jeff said "I have not been able to find one incident of an explosion or fire caused at a gas station due to the refrig of an RV running on propane having been left on."
Least wise not one that came first hand. Those type reports usually start out with "I heard/read where this guy's sister's, friend's, aunt's, neighbor's, cousin's brother-in-law was refueling his rig when.......
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 07:29 AM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We've traveled thousands of miles with our frig on. In three different 5th wheels. Part of the cost savings in RVing is to eat lunch from our own stash in the frig and to get cokes out of frig during pit stops. We too have never heard first hand of anyone having any problems.
Happy trails.................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 07:33 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The propane tanks built in the last several years have, by law, a safety device that shuts off the propane flow if it goes over a certain level. That virtually eliminates any problems from a ruptured hose. If a tank were to be ruptured, that's a different story. But then it wouldn't matter whether the propane were on or off.

We have always run with ours on for the fridge except in those few situations where you must first turn it off. The bridge/tunnel from Norfolk, VA, over to the peninsula is one example. In that case we shut it off before entering the bridge/tunnel and stop to turn it back on when we exit on the other side.

You will find many opinions so you have to make up your own mind on this. I've also never seen nor heard of an explosion caused by running the propane.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 01:03 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Same here..propane on..the stories heard about propane tanks blowing up are like a urban legend.. the tank would have to rupture in order for it to blow up and in that case would make no difference on or off.The probabilities are about the same as winning the national lottery..However.if it makes one feel better to run with it off, thats ok. By the way we just ran through the Chesapeake bay tunnel last week and there was NO check point stop to turn off the tanks.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 04:01 PM   #8
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
I started a thread about this a few weeks back and it generated a lot of responses. There were several from professional firefighters and haz-mat pros that said what most everyone here is saying: the chances of there being a problem are incredibly low, it's safe.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote