Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2005, 01:16 PM   #1
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
CQ CQ - Calling all Hams

I have notice a few call signs on the forum.
If you will send me an email I will build a list of users that are hams and their call signs.
Anyone that is not a ham and interested in getting a license I will be glad to "tell you where to go", lol. Really I will assist any way I can from down under. I have been licensed since 76 and enjoy the hobby. My wife is licensed also so she can tell me where to go when back in. Well she may do that more often too. lol.
Good luck and tow safe.
Here is the list so far:
WA4YON
WA4BMG
N2QHF
KO4A/N3BYT (VK8DM)
KI7GO
KI7GN
KE2LU
KC4KM
KC0QGI/KC0QGJ
KA6TZP
KA5Y/N5ZZD

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 05:56 PM   #2
Montana_4069

M.O.C. #4069
I'm looking into it, as well as planning on figuring out a method to mount both CB, FM, and Amateur radio antennas on a antenna "bank" on the trailer for when we're moving/stationary, on a mount that can be indexed both up and down for lower clearance issues. I figure mounting it over the 5th wheel/pin area would be a good idea, up on top and using a hinged system for the actual antenna mounting bracketry with a motor to lower the antennas to lay flat on the trailer when needing the clearance, and re-raising them once "in the open". Keep a CB whip on the truck as well as scanner whip just so when not hooked up I don't lose communication ability. Of course these would only work for mobile whip style antennas, not for any Yagi or anything large. A telescopic antenna rig attached to the pole on the back would fit the bill for a stationary setup.
Montana_4069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 06:40 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I have V/UHF and CB in the truck. I use Diamond trunk lip mounts and put them on the forward part of the rear doors on the truck. The CB antenna is almost as tall as the trailer so it is a good height working stinger.
When working out of the trailer I have HF and V/UHF. The HF is normally a long wire dipole ( one in the trees and one on the ground for counter poise) with an SGC 237 turner and the IC706. The VHF is the Kenwood TM V7A. I use a COMET mobile antenna on top of the MFJ 33' push up pole. it gets lashed to the rear ladder.
I goofed and put a second city/fresh water box on the back of my trailer. Goofed because it lets in a lot of cold air. Will insulate it when we go full time.
The radios are mounted inside the drawer compartment of the desk on the outer wall and an Emergency light sealed batter sits in there with the AC power supply to power the radios. The control heads are on the back wall over the desk by the window. No pictures until May next year.

I had to get the VHF antenna up in the air because it was tripping the AC control when only 20' up at 50 watts.

Ann is also a ham N3BYT.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:50 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Hello John,
Good idea. Not sure just what you have in mind but the call is KA6TZP. Been a ham since 1982. Am not very active. I do check into a couple of "Nets" each day if conditions permit. Currently have ICOM 706 in truck. It is the older model and does not have 440. I also have a system of sorts set up in the Monty. Also an ICOM 706 Mark II with the 440 in it. Will be installing a Tarheel screwdriver on top of the Monty. It will have an automated or rather a motorized plate to lower and raise for traveling.
Also have 11 meter access.

Currently using a "little Tarheel" for the pickup truck. The little Tarheel works only so-so as it is currently configured. But at least I do have HF access from the truck. I'm still tweaking it to make it better. All ants on truck are magnetic base. All ants on trailer are hard wired.

To have a DC source of power in Monty I installed a circuit from the battery compartment to the rear of the trailer. Then drilled access hole up under desk area of the 3295RK. I used # 8 wire so I would have enough amperage. Also this hole is access for antennas. We have used the radio on every trip we've taken. Sometimes only once but for the most part many times. It is so nice to have when traveling. We meet some of the nicest folks that way.

I also run an APRS station while traveling. This allows our kids and friends to keep track of us as we travel about. Again it is very interesting stuff and we've met several folks who followed us and knocked on our door when we drove into their area! I love it!

HamRad [short for Ham Radio]
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 12:38 AM   #5
Montana_3845
Established Member

M.O.C. #3845
Hello from WA4YON in East Tennessee
Licensed in 1965 and still an avid 6 mtr.operator. repeater on 53.25
I run the Icom 706M2 in my tow vehicle with an antique webster bandspanner on vhf,diamond 2 band on 2& uhf.
I usually put up a long wire to operate on 75 mtrs. when I can.I use a fiberglass telescoping pole attatched to the ladder which works well with approx.60 ft. on each leg.
I sometimes use a Kenwood TS-440S when parked because of the automatic antenna tuner.
My antennas are mounted just behind the cab (too close) for optimum operation, but where else? my vhf is mounted on a ball attatched to the side of the tool box with a double spring setup to prevent whipping around.
No setup in the Monty, but considering using the 75 ohm satellite outlet to exit the trailer and live with the mismatch.
Good hamming -- GENE wa4yon@aol.com
Montana_3845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 01:31 AM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Geneo,
Use a PL259 barrel and have it come out the side. Use the cable or phone plug cover to protect it. A friend did that and it looks good. That is what I meant by messing up with the water box. I should have just drilled for a barrel and used the cap. Then no miss match.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:04 AM   #7
Montana_3845
Established Member

M.O.C. #3845
Thanks John, I will probably do that in the near future, I should have mentiones , the wire antenna I use is a small reel affair I got from RADIO BUGS.COM, I found it works quite well for portable use.
My home station is an Icom proII and Ameritron AL-811, Long wire,TH6DXX,hy-gain 6 mtr beam as well as 220 and uhf beam.
I do have a Yaesu ft-100 which works very well for portable operation,it will be my choice to put in the 5th. wheel.
Good hearing from you. I live near Knoxville.
Montana_3845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 09:44 AM   #8
Rex & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #99
KC0QGI (Rex) and KCOQGJ (Mary) checking in. We made the move up from CB to ham a couple of years ago when we got separated traveling through Reno. We travel with the pick up and Mary follows behind in her Honda. We use 2 meters only, two mobiles and two handhelds. One thing I love about the handhelds is, I haven't been in a gift shop since. We move the mobile from the truck into the camper when we're set up and use a couple of magnetic mounts for antennas. We are working fulltimers currently dealing Blackjack at Lake Tahoe for the summer.
Rex & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 11:41 AM   #9
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
N2QHF (Fred) here. I have a dual-band int he truck along with a CB. My antennas are mounted with stake hole pocket mounts int he forward most stake hole pockets. I've been licensed since 1992, but I'm just getting back into the hobby.

Fred
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 12:41 PM   #10
Montana_3715
Established Member

M.O.C. #3715
KA5Y here, wife (CeCe) is N5ZZD (zipper zipper down) she is living proof you can get a license and know nothing...just be able to memorize question pools. Maybe they would give us our own group? I have put some anteena feed thoughs to my computer desk on the 3255RL. Also made a St Louis veriical that mounts on the back ladder. Can post pictures if anyone is interested.
Paul
Montana_3715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 09:26 AM   #11
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
I had a techncian license some time between 1960 and 1971 when we lived in Calif. I'm thinking about getting another. If somebody has callsign books for that period and wouldn't mind looking me up I can get credit towards a new license by showing a copy of the page listing my name and old call.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote