Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2005, 05:49 PM   #21
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Interestingly, the tires were checked before starting the trip and the first blowout occurred near mile 100. Four days later, the tires were checked before start and the second blowout occurred within the first 50 miles.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 08:14 PM   #22
Montana_2957
Established Member

M.O.C. #2957
Steve, There was a recent post/discussion on Doran under Tire Pressure Monitoring/ Tow Vehicles and towing.

Stiles, I am not a big believer in coincidences, and 2 tires in one day? Wow! I have read elsewhere about this happening on travel trailers. This leads to my suspicions that some trailers/fifth wheels maybe undertired? With one tire flat, seems to me that it puts an immediate overload situation on the other 3 tires possibly weakening and setting up for further tire problems. I know on my 315 RLS, if I am running close to GVWR 9520, I had better have 950 tongue weight or both my axles 4400 X 2 = 8800 - 200 tires/wheels = 8600 and tires will be overloaded. Take out a tire while driving the interstate and seems I would overload both the remaining 3 tires and possibly one axle rating quite quickly. And on one of the bumpy interstates I drive, I am certain I exceed both axle and tire rating everytime I hit a concrete seam! That is why I tire monitor and will replace present tires with better ones when the time comes like you are doing. Why does my truck come with tires rated to carry much more than the truck GVWR/GAWR and our tailers axles and tires barely meet their GVWR when perfectly loaded?

I personally am much safer thanks to all the imput on this forum. Thank you all!
Montana_2957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 10:31 PM   #23
Montana_2753
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2753
Stiles and Dianna:

So glad to hear that you are OK! I am so grateful that God makes up for all of my "shortfalls". I, too, no longer believe in coincidences as I have seen His protection too many times! Thanks for sharing your experiences and reminding us to not take things for granted. It's kind of like the carpenter's saying:
"Measure twice, cut once". "We" need to check and re-check and then check again, no matter how new, or experienced, we are to RVing!!!

Bruce
Montana_2753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 12:19 AM   #24
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

[...]

Someone asked which hitch I have. It is a standard Husky and there is nothing inherently wrong with the hitch. It was all pilot error.
Stiles,

I had asked about the type of hitch. I have a PulRite non-slider. I have tried to hi-hitch a couple of times but the PulRite doesn't allow the lip of the kin pin to fully engage the latch.

Sounds like I made a better choice of hitch than I realized. Nothing like a mechanical refusal to do the wrong thing

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 03:07 AM   #25
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Stiles and Diana--thanks for the posts with all the details regarding your mishaps. Much appreciated!! Like you we are firm believers in providential protection, having experienced it many times in our lives. Agree with Judy--part of the reason you were kept safe was to allow you to share your experience. The rest of the reason is because there are plans for other wonderful things to come in your lives. Safe travels!
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 04:03 AM   #26
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Don & Sumi. I'll check it out.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 04:21 AM   #27
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dgullick

Steve, There was a recent post/discussion on Doran under Tire Pressure Monitoring/ Tow Vehicles and towing.

Stiles, I am not a big believer in coincidences, and 2 tires in one day? Wow! I have read elsewhere about this happening on travel trailers. This leads to my suspicions that some trailers/fifth wheels maybe undertired? [...]
Giving this a little more thought, I will observe that I have had more problems with the rear tires than with the front ones. One suggestion I have heard is that the front tire will "kick up" some type of road junk that doesn't have time to lay back down before the rear tire runs over it. That would make the rears more likely to suffer from road damage.

A lot of RV's sit for months at a time with a full load on them, then they are all of a sudden spun up to 65-75MPH in hot weather. All the while, sun light and ozone decay the rubber.

Even if you have a tire with more capacity than OEM it isn't a recipie for real good tire life.

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 04:35 AM   #28
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Stiles, Sorry to hear about your difficulties. Glad that you were not injured in the series of unfortunate events. Regarding the tires - have you saved the tires and thought about contacting the company????? If the tires were not showing wear and were being kept at the correct pressure, checked regular, etc., etc., it's possible there might have been a defect that is not readily apparent. Especially where the one blowout resulted in damage to the Montana, contacting the tire company might yield some unexpected, favorable results. After an unfortunate incident with one of our tires, we also changed to the 14 ply trailer tires.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 03:27 PM   #29
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Stiles, thank you for sharing your mishap. I am glad no one was injured and that the Monty handled well. It is good to be reminded of problems we can all encounter. I've learned a great deal from everyone's posts. Take care.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote