Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2005, 12:27 PM   #21
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Send a message via AIM to skyguy
Way to go Jeannie! Now after almost a couple of weeks, you should be getting used to that size! I drive a PT Cruiser around town a lot, but I would rather be in my F350! So many people will pull out in fron of, or cut me off, when I am in the PT, but they will allow the big F350 plenty of room! Got to love that!

Good luck.

Al

skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 04:00 PM   #22
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
Way to go Jeanne! We are full timing so I only get to drive the truck when I can think of "girl" things to do....and I love it. I have decided that I need the exercise anyway and I park at the back of the lot, then feel very self righteous when walking to the door of the store. I have driven the 5er attached only once, since my hubby is addicted to driving and will not share without a fight. However, I know that we can all do it if we need to. Congrats again!
Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 03:42 PM   #23
Montana_2821
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2821
I want to assure everyone that while I like to drive, I don't like to drive all day. So jeanne will get plenty of chances to pull the 5'er when we are traveling.

She is taking it to Sun Coast RV tomorrow to get the hitch put on Friday and we are picking it up Saturday. So Saturday will be our first experience driving the entire rig. Jeanne probably won't drive that day, but when we take off out of town she will.

Thanks for all the replies.
Montana_2821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 03:15 AM   #24
Montana_2821
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2821
Hello to all who have responded to my Big Truck Adventure. This is an update to our next adventure. We are taking our first trip to Juniper Springs, Fl. this weekend. Two of our children, daughters, and their families are coming too, They both have pop up tent campers, and they can't wait to see our Montana. It has been stored since our purchase. Our grandchildren are looking forward to a look as well. Three boys and one girl, ages 10 to 8 and two more guys ages 16 & 13.

We only hope all goes well as this is completely new to us. It took three hours to review all the moving parts and their use. Bill, with help, hooked up the BIG truck and pulled the 5er to the storage just a few miles down the road. He did great. I certainly expect to try driving the rig very soon. All of rhe encouragement and information from you guys and gals have helped so much in my decision to pull the 5er. Thanks for you interest.

Jeanne & Bill, R&R Rigged & Ready
Old 04-02-2005, 01:13 AM   #25
Montana_2821
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2821
I had to bring this topic back. Since Jeanne made her last post, we indeed did take our first weekend trip to Juniper Springs and a week trip to Franklin North Carolina. I started a topic for each trip.

But I have to report on this topic that on our last trip Jeanne indeed drove the truck with the Montana attached for several hours on the way up. She didn't drive it on the way back because we left it in Franklin where we will join it in late May or early June for use the rest of the summer.

That's covered in our second trip report. But Jeanne pulled it a pretty good distance.

Bill
Old 04-02-2005, 04:14 AM   #26
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
Big TRUCKS are beautiful things! Congrats!

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 06:34 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My other half Helen 5:5 @ 120Lbs has always driven our rigs everywhere Just got a new big truck . The first time I backed it into the driveway I went up over the grass..She didn't.Will have a 3295 by next camping season..she says..no big deal.....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 05:24 PM   #28
tollmann
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1824
I don't want to whip this too much but my wife Rosie is every bit as capable of towing our 3670 as I am. We tow with a F350 crew cab long box. The only thing she won't do is back it up into a campsite. I know that she can do it but she's just a little over cautious.
tollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 04:35 AM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I said this once before in another thread awhile ago about the ladies driving the Campers...they NEED to be able to do Everything..It is a safety issue..if something happens to the guy while on the road..something simple like broke your glasses and can't see a thing.Who drives if she can't or won't. Look at how many ladies are school bus drivers..If they can drive a 37 Foot bluebird and Pass the CDL test for schools bus they can handle the camper. Don't let it be a ego thing guys..this is the 21st century...And ladies..I know you can handle it..
Old 04-03-2005, 04:40 AM   #30
Montana_3299
Established Member

M.O.C. #3299
Ladies: I LOVED hearing about so many "gutsy" women. I grew up in Kansas/Nebraska and from teenager up I've been driving tractors, combines, wheat-hauling trucks, etc. I'm 5'2" and at those times weighted about 120 so I always got "the look" from so many guys. I guess I'm still a tomboy cuz I love the sound of a diesel pullin. Towing a 5th wheel is a breeze (we have a 36 footer) and much less weight than a wheat trailer....... however worrying about wind, cornering and traffic is greater with the 5er.
Just so glad to hear of so many other women realizing how "capable" we are. Driving the 5er doesn't really take more muscles, just intelligence and common sense. YOU GO GIRLS!!!!!
Montana_3299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 07:58 AM   #31
Montana_2821
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2821
Right now we have company and also kind of tied up getting our house up for sale, see our second trip topic, and Jeanne still has some adversion to the computer, but she will be here to read these recent notes soon.

Rich, I happen to agree with you, it is also a safety issue, I am so much more comfortable knowing that if I am tired or something happens Jeanne can handle the whole situation.

It's a team effort.

Old 04-03-2005, 02:07 PM   #32
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Besides the safety issue I have to admit that I do not care to drive all that much and she does.She has a great time tooling down the highway chattering with all the 18 wheelers on the CB. And I hear you about the team effort...makes everything so much easier...
Old 04-03-2005, 03:12 PM   #33
Montana_354
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #354
And here I was getting all psyched to drive our fiver and somebody had to throw that silly thing called 'common sense' in to the equation. Rut-row.
Kalamity
Montana_354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 03:28 AM   #34
Bear Hunter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2464
Way to go Jeanne. My wife did not like the idea of driving a truck at first now you can't get her out of it. She now will tell you that a truck isn't a truck unless it's a diesel and as she calls it" has a wide butt". The day we bought our dually I had no intention of buying a new truck. We had stopped at a resturant next to the dealership when see saw the one we now have. When she saw the truck there was no stopping her, it was going to be ours. Break my heart and by a new truck. Right!!
Good camping and SEMPER FI
Bear Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 01:48 AM   #35
Montana_2821
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2821
Hello all you Montana big truck lovers. I haven't had this much fun on a computer ever... Mostly because using a computer came along with the 5er and BIG truck. Anway, thanks for your continuing support and remarks about our life changing purchase. We are lovin it! I adjusted to driving our rig pretty well. I have to say that two hours of driving the rig was in stop and go traffic while Bill slept. What a guy!

Jeanne