Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2005, 12:38 PM   #1
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
3400rl heater question

Can anyone tell me if it's OK to turn on the switch on the heater that is on the heater unit located within the outside panel if I don't have water in the rig? I know you can't run the water heater but are they somehow one and the same? In other words, do I need to turn on that switch to heat the interior? And if so, if I leave the breaker off for the water heater is this OK? Thanks,

captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 12:45 PM   #2
Lady RV
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30
Do NOT turn on the switch outside without Water in the Heater. Some members do turn their breaker on and off for the Electric part of the water heater and leave the switch on outside. I'm sure they'll be around soon to help you on this. In the meantime without water in the Water Heater if you turn it on you'll burn up the electric heating element.
Lady RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 01:18 PM   #3
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Lady RV summed it up. Never turn on the electric side of the hot water heater without water. Someone did just that at the dealer and when we went on our maiden run/Fl vacation, we found out that the elements were burned out and had to be replaced. Since there was no dealer around, an RV repairman called the dealer and sent him the bill. Some people use the circut breaker inside to turn on and off the heater. In either case, know the status of your switch before you turn on the electricty and water.
Ken and Velda Taylor
Dahlgren Va
2005 3475 Montana
2000 Ford F350 Diesel
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 01:51 PM   #4
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Captbanjo you seem to have your water heater and furnace confused... they are two separate appliances. Perhaps you should have your delaer go over the operation with you one more time before you damage something very $$$ to fix.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 01:52 PM   #5
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Great call eveyone....if you run the heater without water, you will ruin the elements.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 02:06 PM   #6
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
You're right about that. I really should have been shown this stuff by the dealer. So my new question is this: if the heat vents are expelling cold air only, any clue why this would be? The propane is full. Could the lines be frozen? I'm asking this because the stove burners are only slightly lighting up. Thanks to everyone about the switch. I did manage to have enough sense to leave it alone in spite of my wife's suggestion to 'go ahead and try it'. But back to the issue...is there any sort of switch for the heater or should it simply come on when I turn the interior furnace switch on?

-----
Captbanjo you seem to have your water heater and furnace confused... they are two separate appliances. Perhaps you should have your delaer go over the operation with you one more time before you damage something very $$$ to fix.
[/quote]
Old 03-10-2005, 03:07 PM   #7
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
I think there is only the thermostat switch inside on the wall, and it is set to on [heat] and the temp is adjusted like you set your home thermostat. If you don't have enough flame on the stove to cook with, you probably don't have enough gas pressure to heat with. This could be caused by several things. Tank is empty or almost empty, open both tanks fully. Damaged lines or valve, take it to the dealer. Bad heater circuit board, take it to the dealer. When the furnace kicks off you'll know it, it makes a roar like a jet engine.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 04:05 PM   #8
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
captbanjo,
There was a post a short time ago where an individual removed his furnace to improve insulation, noise and a few other things. The post indicated there was a switch facing the wall. You cannot see it unless you pull the furnace out.
If under warranty let the dealer do it. Suggest you then go to
Wal~Mart and purchase a electric heater for the time being. I have a Holmes Twin Oscillating heater, 1500 watt that performs well. Around $39. Good luck!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:33 AM   #9
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Thanks for all the suggestions. I took them and found out that it was in fact a lack of pressure. I simply hadn't rescrewed one of the propane tanks back in place properly. I should know by now...check the simplest things first but I was convinced I had screwed the tank back in right. Wrong! Now I also know that the water heater outside is not connected to the the furnace. I had suspected that but was always a little confused.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:30 PM   #10
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
captbanjo,
Glad to hear the problem was solved in a easy manner. We have all made simple mistakes...but we do learn from them. Good luck!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote