Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2023, 07:47 PM   #1
belldog
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4165
Replace interior step cover

The plastic coating on interior steps is coming off. What have you done to repair and what type of material did you use. I am thinking vinyl flooring any other ideas

belldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 09:09 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Sure is hard to speculate about a question when there is no indication of what rig this is in, model, year will help.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 03:53 AM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I found a previous post where he stated he had a 2016 3611FL.
The pic of the steps below is from the 2016 sales brochure.
A photo of your stair tread problem would help a lot!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1567.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	14803  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 09:17 AM   #4
belldog
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4165
Interior steps

I have a 2016 3611RL . The plastic covering on steps are peeling off. The steps are rounded on the front. I was pondering if anyone else had this problem and what they did to fix it
Old 06-21-2023, 09:36 AM   #5
belldog
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4165
Pictures of steps

Pictures of steps. I put duct tape on them so I wouldn’t be tripping on them
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7535.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	14804  
Old 06-21-2023, 10:47 AM   #6
Rotnjonny
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32150
I covered mine using a light weight indoor/outdoor carpet using double sided contact tape. Ive done this in all of my 5’er. Currently I have two sets of interior steps as shown in the pictures. I also have two 75lb Labrador retrievers going up and down them. Carpet and tape lasts three years and than I replace it.
Rotnjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 11:58 AM   #7
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Might try here. https://www.trekwood.com/parts-searc...23+%2F+Keyword
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 12:24 PM   #8
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Edit: It looks like Bob Rohrman found the replacement treads at Trekwood. Wow - good work! But $132 per tread + shipping! Trekwood's shipping will be very expensive (based on what I have read here). If you assume shipping to be $100 - $150...your total will be close to $400.

I had never looked closely at my steps...I assumed they were wood treads. They look just like yours. They appear to be wood or plywood or composite wood (no idea which) with a plastic lam tread covering. If the laminate was coming off the steps in my unit - I would replace them with a standard hardwood tread of some sort (see screen shot below - $44 for 2 treads - 10.5" w x 28" long x 1" thick + shipping???), and forgo the OEM radius of the existing treads. I would stain the treads a dark color, screw them down with finish screws (because I do not have a pin nailor), and put some non-slip carpet treads over the wood. We found some sticky back door-mat carpet-like material at Walmart when our unit was new and that stuff is still safer to walk on than the bare treads.

It is a slow day of work for me today (I work at home)...the architects keep delaying the issuance of the next updated set of plans on my project...so I have nothing to do but wait. I have been searching and googling for all types of replacement RV interior stair (wood) treads. I have come up empty handed. Maybe I have used the wrong search terms - but all the usual suspects (Trekwood, Camping World, PPL Motorhomes) do not have anything for these stairs. I was going to suggest that you step into the abyss and call a Keystone dealer and see if they would order the parts for you. Be sure and have emergency rations and flashlight batteries on hand while you wait an eternity for them to get back to you.

To remove the treads - I would remove the two wood slotted vent covers on the risers (4 square bit screws for each vent), then I would gently start tapping the underside with a hammer to see if they moved or loosened. I would use my pry-bar for help if needed. I do not know if the treads are glued or nailed in place. Once they were off - I would screw down the new wood treads (finished and dried before I install them).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2023-06-21_13-02-54.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	14806  
Old 06-21-2023, 01:10 PM   #9
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Cut a rubber mat to fit on top of each step, trim it to fit perfect, then tack or glue it down. All done then!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 06:34 PM   #10
Majorpolk
Established Member

M.O.C. #19958
I realize this is not the same, but I put these in my Monty. They work great.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3020.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	14842  
Majorpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 07:49 PM   #11
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I would like something soft on my bare feet!!! The carpeted things listed above would seem ok. My unit si carpeted, and I like it. Just personal preference!!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 10:04 AM   #12
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Sometimes I have posted a solution to a problem that I know nothing about...like my post #8 above. I had no idea how the steps were constructed in my RV. My stair tread suggestion will not work. Well - let me make some corrections.

We are out on a short trip this weekend and I felt hot air everytime I went from the bedroom to the living room and vice versa. I have read threads here on the forum about how lots of folks cover the wood louvers on the step risers to prevent hot air from getting into the coach from the basement. I had never really looked at this. Fortunately I found a screw bit that would work for the louver screws - removed the top louver completely but my bottom louver has the connection to the built-in vacuum, so I just moved it out enough to get a piece of cardboard behind the louvers. I put a piece of cardboard behind the top louver...cuts way down on the hot air coming thru. I'm sure there are better ways to do this. I have even seen someone here post about a custom made wood louver with a moveable/slide closure built in.

However - my intention is not to hijack the thread with ways to stop the basement heat migration. My intention is to provide the rough sketch below so folks can see how the steps are built. Knowing how they are put together changes recommendations for a fix to the OPs problem. Notice how the first tread is full width and the top tread is framed over it. Frankly - I am stumped. If the plastic laminate is flaking off (it is my assumption that the step's surface material is plastic lam - I really don't know what it is for sure) - I only see two options...simply cover up the tread with a sticky-stuck carpet/tread cover...or start over and completely rebuild the steps using tread material from Trekwood...or some other wood material of your choice.

See cross-section sketch below...and as architects always state - do NOT scale this drawing!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2023-07-02_10-31-26.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	14900  
Old 02-18-2024, 07:23 AM   #13
Mwjk

M.O.C. #33980
We are experiencing the same issue. Did you find a repair that works?

Super glue did not work well.

Thanks for the ideas.
Mwjk is offline   Reply With Quote