Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2023, 08:54 PM   #21
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
At 70, I don’t need to be climbing a ladder anymore than absolutely necessary. I can have my weather station and StarLink up in less than 5 minutes - both from the ground.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 09:36 PM   #22
LeftOverParts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32230
Derby6, if you intend to mount that high on your ladder, you’ll need to climb with the antennae. Not impossible, as I did that for a while when using the basic SL pipe mount. I would place the ant in a back pack, climb up, sit on the roof at the top of the ladder, and connect it. I just got tired of doing that, esp when we were carrying bikes on the rear hitch. A flag pole makes it much easier.

For now, our cable enters the wet bay and the router sits in the storage area. The seal for wet bay and flip-up door is compliant enough to let the cable by. I have the RJ45 bulkhead fittings to eventually do something like rames14 (which is very nice). I’m thinking of going through the kitchen slide floor where the cables enter behind the fireplace and locating the router behind the TV.

The Gen2 SL cable is either 75ft (with the kit) or 150ft for additional purchase. Several possibilities to customize if you use RJ45 ends or alt. If you decide to keep the SL cable ends, I suggest getting end covers via Etsy, eBay, etc or find your own way to cover them while storing to keep dirt/debris out.
LeftOverParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 10:39 AM   #23
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Something to think about. The Gen 3 antenna now uses *STANDARD* RJ45 connectors not the proprietary ones SL used before. That may make wall connections, and varying length extension cords, more practical.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 04:32 PM   #24
High5er
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #33861
Derby6: I know this is late, but it might help. We have a 3941FO and there's plenty of cable to get from the dish 2' above the ladder in the rear to the wet bay at the front, with quite a bit left over. I have the Starlink router plugged in and secured to a wall in the basement. I bought the Eero Pro 6 (2 pack) routers from Amazon to avoid running cable inside. I connected one Eero router in the basement next to the Starlink router (Starlink is in bypass/bridge mode to avoid signal interference). The other Eero router is plugged in inside under the dining room table.

This allows all cables/cords to be out of sight in the basement (against the walls, out of the way) while still providing us with full wireless coverage. The Eero Pro routers also have 2 ethernet jacks, so if you need a wired connection like my wife does, you have that option.

We've been on Starlink for about 2 1/2 years now and it's far better now that it used to be. We were getting download speeds around 50-70 Mbps with weekly outages and now regularly get 120-200 Mbps (down) and have only had 2 short outages in the past 3 months. Upload seems to hover around 10-15. Both my wife and I work from home and have plenty of bandwidth for VoIP/Video calls and 4K streaming.
High5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 12:45 PM   #25
Derby6
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31898
Thanks High5er--Not too late, I haven't left yet....LOL Not real tch savy, so I'll have to look into Routers.

LeftOverParts, Concur on ladder climbing-Will see how it works out this year. My real hope is that I can "go through the kitchen slide floor where the cables enter behind the fireplace and locating the router behind the TV."
Cable down the ladder and underneath to that large cable pack that goes in the kitchen slide behing TV. Time will tell.

Good point on having to protect the end that would go on to the roof--Should be easy enough.
Derby6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 07:31 PM   #26
Derby6
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31898
Well I finally made it to Lower 48. Jeeeeez, the issues after a 1 year storage. Guess we'll get thru it.

Anyway, I got the Starlink up today. Mount went up well. I just ran cord in thru wet well and put the router in the bay under the trailer. 89 % strength throughout the trailer. No holes and nothing to secure or protect while on road or in storage. Gonna run this route for a bit and see how it works, but I think it's a permanent plan....
Derby6 is offline   Reply With Quote