Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2009, 10:49 AM   #1
iconmae
Established Member

M.O.C. #9736
city water and non-pressurized inlet

Okay, I know that when we are camping we connect the garden hose to the "city water" inlet (and why is it called CITY water?) But what is the other inlet for? I see that it says potable and that it is non-pressurized but does it go to the same holding tank for when the pump is used?

iconmae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:54 AM   #2
Johnnyg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9710
I believe the "City Water" connection bypasses the fresh water holding tank and goes directly to the tap, hot water heater etc. The other is to fill the fresh water tank that's dispensed via the onboard pump.
Johnnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:38 AM   #3
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
OK my 2009 3605 has the city water inlet , thats for your hose connection if you want to put water in your holding tank, theres a bipass valve beside it you turn the bipass valve to fill your fresh water tank. now under the water inlet theres another hose inlet connection thats a Flush for your Black water holding tank. i hope this help as this is how mine is set up.
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:43 AM   #4
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
It depends on your year and model (you don't say what you have).

For most all trailers, it is as Johnnyg says, the non-pressurized filler location fills the holding tank.

On my rig, and most newer Montana's, there is also a "Power Fill" valve in the convenience center which diverts the "city water" to fill the fresh water holding tank, so you don't have to stand there and hold the hose in the gravity fill opening. You are still advised to open the gravity fill cap when filling the tank with the power fill valve to allow air out of the holding tank so it does not rupture.

Another caveat for filling the holding tank with either method is that you are supposed to stop filling when the tank level monitor indicates that the tank is full. Do not keep filling until water starts pouring out of the gravity fill opening. It says this in the owners manual, and I got a lecture from Darrell and his technician at the Keystone Service Center for not complying with this procedure.

So, in re-cap, the answer is:

1. On city water the water does not go to the fresh water holding tank, and water pressure is supplied by the campground faucet that the hose is connected to. Do not turn on your water pump!

2. When not connected to city water, turn on your water pump and use water from your holding tank.

3. Always use the tank monitor panel when filling the holding tank and stop filling when the monitor says "Full". Do not over fill.

4. Always open the gravity fill cap if you fill the tank with the power fill valve! ...and pay attention to #3!
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:56 AM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Thats what it is for sure, City water is your wrinking water supplied by the RV Park or to fill up your fresh water tank on board.
the thing most of us do on that line is get a pressure regulator and a T conector with a shut off on one of the T's and a back flow device, which can be used for the fresh water flush hose and keeping seperat from the drinking water hose not to contaminate your fresh water system.

My black tank flush is not even close to the fresh water inlet, and if you did get them mixed up and turned on the water you would start to fill up your black water tank with the possability of a flood on the inside floor if you over filled it to the top by accident.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:04 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Johnnyg is correct.

The water bib inlet provides water directly to the RV plumbing and bypasses the RV fresh water tank. The pressure of the water is provided by the "city" to the campground then to your rig. I guess that's how the term city came about even though it could be a County, National Park or something else providing the water pressure. It's just an expression that "stuck".

If you do not use a city water connection to provide the water pressure for your rig, the larger hole is used for filling up the fresh water tank. Ironically, you can use a city water supply to fill up the tank but not leave it connected to the RV's bib inlet. In this case, then the RV pump is turned on to pressurize the tank and provide the RV's fresh water while the city pressure is not connected. Each time a faucet, fixture, shower, etc. is opened the RV pump then operates to keep up the pressure to help the water to flow.

Using the RV fresh water supply will be limited to how big your tank is. This is often the way to use your RV in very cold climates since your RV's fresh water tank is enclosed and insulated and has less chance of freezing, unlike the exposed hose when connected to a "city water" hookup.

On edit : *Removed incorrect commentary*

Coincidently, I just came back from an RV trip on Monday after just talking about all this. This is also when I learned that it's a good idea to drain your hot water heater which I discussed in another topic. Good ole MOC... always teaching us the fine points of getting the best of our rigs.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:57 PM   #7
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

.....Regarding the "potable water" label comment, the term is used to imply that the water in the tank may not be filtered and if the water sits for long periods of time in your tank it may not be safe to drink. I think these are just to make you conscious of your water source. You should use a very good filtration system for either to improve the water quality, but if water sits in the fresh water tank for some time there may some level of concern you might want to think about.....
Not so much.

Potable:
pronounced poe-tuh-buhl
–adjective 1. fit or suitable for drinking: potable water.

–noun 2. Usually, potables. drinkable liquids; beverages.

That is why at dump stations they usually have a sign on the faucet that says, Non-potable water, so you don't use that hose to fill your tanks, as the hose and immediate area is most likely contaminated with nasty germs.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:25 PM   #8
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
Trailer Trash 2. On my rig, and most newer Montana's, there is a convenience center, where you have ever thing in one place, so you have the Water inlet and Flush inlet close together..........but they are marked so unless your not reading you cant mix them up....
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:12 PM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Oh darn it - thanks KTManiac.... I had the opposite description - I was thinking of "non-potable". I removed the errant paragraph.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:22 PM   #10
iconmae
Established Member

M.O.C. #9736
Wow, that's alot of info. Ours is a 2007 Mountaineer 307RKD.
Besides those 2 ports, there is a little thing between the two of them that looks like a faucet screen and if you are inside the rv (w/cover off), you can see that a hose is attached to that. Maybe that is an overflow. We are learning bits at a time. I'm thinking that I should start a manual. We have the generic one that covers the furnace and fridge but there is so much more that we need to know. Thanks for all the help.
iconmae is offline   Reply With Quote