Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2009, 09:09 AM   #1
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Galley tank extension rod

My valve drain handle and kit for the galley (between the wheels) is almost broken. It wore a lot right where it goes thru the hole in the frame. It was also bent and I tried to straighten it and I could feel it breaking. So I figured I would just get another one. They apparently have 'holding tank valve extension kits' sold at dealers and on the internet. However they are all exactly the same model from Valterra (sp?). Unfortunately it has a rod that is smaller and shorter than the original. And it has a sleeve with set screws to attach the new rod to the old one on the valve itself. But the sleeve is too small for the valve rod and the valve is threaded so the original rod screwed on. Even if I could get it to fit, then whenever the set screws came loose (which they will), I would have to peel down the underbelly cover to reach in and tighten them.
Soooo, has anyone else had to replace one of these rods and handles???
Thanks.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:14 AM   #2
gpats
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7742
I made new ones with 1/4" rod from the hardware store and cut new threads with my tap & die set--yes you will have to drop the belly enough to screw the new rods in---I also used thread lock to help keep them from coming loose---you can reuse your old handles--
gpats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:06 PM   #3
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I forgot to mention, the sleeve that attaches to the rod is attached with a cotter pin. And the rod itself is 5/16 inch, and the sleeve too, with the other end of the sleeve is female threaded at 1/4 inch.
How did you get the sleeve on the 1/4 in. rod?

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:46 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We got a replacement from our rv dealer for about ten bucks. It is solid rather than a thin walled tube so should last much longer. We were having some AC work done by that dealer at the time so just had him install it. He didn't say anything about needing any parts beyond what was in the replacement kit and didn't charge me for any additional parts. The kit had an extension, also, in case more length was needed.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote