Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2009, 06:38 AM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Blind Repair

Well with all of the pics here and the diagrams I have saved from this forum my buddy and I (both retired squids) successfully removed, restrung, and reinstalled a 4 line daynight shade in one hour. We have one or two more 4 liners and two 2 liners left to do. Unfortunately I didnt shoot any pics of this one but will shoot and post each step in the process probably tomorrow... Dave P.S. The line we used was 110 pound test Spectre kite line, I got a 500 foot spool for 18 bucks at a local kite store after chasing all over the place hitting hardware stores with no luck. This line is slightly rougher that the stock line but works very well when in the middle of a long trip...

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:19 AM   #2
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I for one will be watching for the pics...it's on my 'to do' list.
The string just came in the mail and not looking forward to it as mine is also the large one.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:08 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I just finished doing one also. The directions were so clear from the manufacturer, I think pictures are pointless. However, there are a couple of tricks that might be helpful.

(1)When you cut the lengths of string you need, sear the end with a lighter to prevent raveling. This helps in threading the new string. (2)Take a long sewing needle, thread it with sewing thread, then knot it and put it through the end of the string. With the blind contracted, just put the needle through and then pull the string through. It makes threading the string very easy. (3)I only had one string broken, but put new string in all of the blind. I used the unbroken strings to determine the length (plus a couple of inches) I needed instead of that formula in the instructions.

Again, I think the instructions that come with the string are very clear. After I got the blind off the wall, it took me about an hour to restring it and get it back together. The next one will be much quicker.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Here are the pictures of the Restringing of a 4 string Daynight shade. After we got it all apart we found that the top rail was damaged a bit from an aggressive installer at the factory. The top rail had to be flattened a bit to make it easier to fit the spring back on. We also heated the ends of the line to make them easier to thread. Since we didn't order one of the kits because of time constraints and had to make due with what we could find locally. As I said at the beginning of this thread we used 110 pound test Spectre kite line. It worked well and was actually a very easy job. The diagram I got off here a few months ago was a very big help. The units we repaired were from a 05 Keystone Challenger. Unlike some of the other pics show these had two springs each anchored to an end cap on the top rail. So if the cap resists coming off then go slowly and check to see if there is a spring attached to the end cap. We had one pretty good string that came out intact so we added three feet extra just to be safe. When we finished we only had to trim off a foot on each side. The first one took an hour, the second took about 45 minutes and another 15 minutes for shooting pictures. I like the string we used but there is also 220 pound test and 500 pound test, each a bit bigger. All of which will fit through the holes in the blinds. Good luck and happy restringing... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:12 AM   #5
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Well, I hate to say it (and don't tell Kerry) that I have already broken the strings on one of the blinds over the desk. It was so tight I could hardly raise it and when I went to pull it down, it broke. Good thing I know how to restring these babies.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote