Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2008, 02:59 PM   #1
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
Water heater problems

Got two problem with my subruban water heater.

#1. On shore power it works only sometimes. I found that by toggling the switch it would work for a while.

I'm thinking it's the switch and not the theromostat or hi-cutoff sensor. Has anybody replaced the switch located near the electric heating element? How did you get it out without removing the entire water heater? I'm also thinking of eliminating the switch and putting a lighted switch near the interior WH switches.

#2. Because I was futzing with the water heater the door blew off. I need a new one and they come in two colors. Colonial or Polar white. Which color do I need for a 2005 2955?

Thanks!

MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 04:16 PM   #2
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Russ, I used to use that switch all the time to turn my electric on and off. Then I read on the forum that that was a no no as those switches are cheap and can and do go out. I now use the breaker in the panel to throw it on and off. They say the switch on the WH itself is a bear to replace. Someone will be along to describe the process of replacing it.

Think Arctic White would be your color.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:34 AM   #3
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
FYI:

Keystone says the door they use on my year 2955 is Polar White.

I suspect that all years & models are the same. I don't think I ever seen a Monty of a different color.

I'm still waiting on someone who has replaced this cheap-o switch to chime in..........
Old 08-13-2008, 08:18 AM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I have not actually replaced it, but I did add an interior lighted switch to control the WH. On our unit, the WH is under the kitchen counter and was fairly easy to get at to work on the the wiring. Since units vary so much, I am not going to try to provide any details, but just have a good look around and see if you can trace the wires and get at them somewhere that would allow to add an interior switch and by-pass the OEM switch. (If you are not comfortable tinkering with electric power, get an electrician to do the work).
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:58 AM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
MuddyPaws,

Be sitting down when you get the price for the replacement door. Keystone is very proud of their replacement parts.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:48 AM   #6
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
Woo Hoo! I found a WH door in Polar White for less than $50, shipping not included.

This weekend I installed a lighted switch under the sink. It works perfectly with one small wrinkle, it's lighted when the switch is off. Is there such a thing as a residential type lighted switch that does the opposite? (Certainly not at Home Depot!)

The on/off switch on the exterior of the WH came out easily enough. I used a very small blade screwdriver and simply pried it out from the top. (Honest! It took less than 10 seconds) But it turned out that this switch is probably not the real problem. It's most likely the 120V thermostat & high cutoff switch assembley.

Another trip to CW!
Old 08-19-2008, 06:13 AM   #7
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Sounds like you got the wrong switch. Got mine at an electrical supply and the first one I got did that. Took it back, they exchanged it for the right one. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote