Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2008, 02:58 AM   #1
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Fresh water tank won't drain

This past weekend, my fresh water tank would not drain to winterize.
I finally turned on my pressure pump and pumped the tank dry.

I may have moss in the tank as I have been having trouble with moss coming out of my water lines at startup arriving at campsite.
Untill recently, I had my trailer at my deer lease and the well water was probably the cause of the moss. The moss would plug the screens of my filters so bad it would stop water flow.

Trailer is back from lease and I have had clorine water in the tank, yet the tank won't drain.

Any suggestions as to what is wrong with my fresh water tank not draining ?

G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:16 AM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Cut a coat hanger or a long piece of wire and put it thru the drain pipe from underneath to open the drain hole. Just make it long enough so you are not the next thing with moss on it.
You must have some nasty water there, what if you put an inline filter on the hose when you fill the tank?
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:33 AM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
If by "moss", you mean the green algae that grows inside the drain pipe when the water is unchorinated, you could try wrapping the drain line with electrical or duct tape to keep the light out. Green things need light to grow. Otherwise, I agree with gently poking with a piece of clothes hanger wire, or similar.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:48 AM   #4
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by OntMont

If by "moss", you mean the green algae that grows inside the drain pipe when the water is unchorinated, you could try wrapping the drain line with electrical or duct tape to keep the light out. Green things need light to grow. Otherwise, I agree with gently poking with a piece of clothes hanger wire, or similar.
Yes
Green algae is probably what it is. I will try the wire method and maybe put some chemical that would kill the algie and not the owners.
G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:51 AM   #5
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
You should put about a cup of bleach in the tank,fill it with water and pump it through the system,let it set a couple hours and redrain it, that should clean it up.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:55 AM   #6
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
We used to own a home with a swimming pool, and had occasional algae problems. If these fixes don't work, you might seek advice from a reputable pool supply house.
drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote