Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2015, 08:55 AM   #1
MONTANA2

M.O.C. #17450
dometric awning

Hi ,everyone my wife and I are the new owners of a 3160 legacy Montana. We upgraded from a 2006 3400rl My dilema is the height of the dometic awning is impossible to get to and the shade it provides is not enough. Please give me a modification to make it more user friendly. Thanks Marv

MONTANA2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:40 AM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I will assume that this is a domeic a&e 9100 electric awning and you can't reach the pitch arms to adjust for rain run-off. Your monte should also have came with the slide-in strap that is used on manual awnings. Ours was in one of the chairs. The strap will allow one to pull down on the awning tube if you have the knobs on the adjustable pitch arms loose. Most rv'rs carry a ladder to help with chores, such as being able to reach the pitch knob on the forward part of the awning as it can be very high, depending on site and height of owner. Does any of this help? If not, please supply more info. John
Old 05-30-2015, 10:42 AM   #3
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Loosen up on the large nut on each arm and you can pull the awining down to where you want. Just be sure you remember to loosen them before you retract the awining.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:48 AM   #4
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
John, I remember seeing that strap and thinking why do i need it as the awining is powered. Just when I thought I knew evertning I learn something new.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:11 PM   #5
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
The strap is there to close the awning if and when the motor quits. Probably will need a ladder to insert it soooooo, use the ladder to position awning.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:09 PM   #6
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yep I am 6-3 and cannot reach the knob to adjust but no big deal we have a cheap small plastic step stool in the basement storage to reach it so no big deal
Old 05-31-2015, 06:52 AM   #7
MONTANA2

M.O.C. #17450
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jcurtis934

I will assume that this is a domeic a&e 9100 electric awning and you can't reach the pitch arms to adjust for rain run-off. Your monte should also have came with the slide-in strap that is used on manual awnings. Ours was in one of the chairs. The strap will allow one to pull down on the awning tube if you have the knobs on the adjustable pitch arms loose. Most rv'rs carry a ladder to help with chores, such as being able to reach the pitch knob on the forward part of the awning as it can be very high, depending on site and height of owner. Does any of this help? If not, please supply more info. John
Old 05-31-2015, 07:06 AM   #8
MONTANA2

M.O.C. #17450
Thank you all for the suggestions. I understand the knob adjustment and the straps. I am looking at the rail track for a additional shade to permanently have attached with eyelets to attach a shade . The wind is another issue so a awning tie down is necessary . I also notice other awnings have shocks angled differently for angle I am looking for automatically.i also have purchased a small 12 x 12 screen enclosure from dick,s sporting to have a very intimate group conversation area with a propane fire pit in the middle . Thank you all for your input till next time. Marv
Old 05-31-2015, 07:32 AM   #9
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Most of the shade awnings used in sw florida were custom orders and slide into the spare track on the awning tube. Easy to fold up and store, easy to slide in at setup time. Awning tie down - I have had too many of the ground anchors pull out in minor wind gusts to even use them. On the site we use for 6-7 months in the winter, I drilled the pad and installed d rings equally set in from the awning ends so that straps can be attached to the awning ends and angle in towards the center of the awning lenght. This means wind gusts cannot lift or shift awning to either side. I also put several twists in the straps so that thw wind doesn't vibrate them. Rooms - never went that route. The only thing I see in florida is separate inclosed screen room canopy affairs. When on the move, the awning is set out when we use it and stowed when not. Won't consider tie down of any kind or shade addition until back to winter site. That is just me. Hope this provides you with some extra ideas marv. John