Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2012, 03:46 AM   #1
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
SOB

Hi All I have a friend that is looking at a Jayco. I told her I would ask what people who had them, thought about them. She has never had a trailer, but travels for work some stays up to five months at a time. She works for the company we used to Foever Resorts. So let me know what your feelings are on the Jayco models. Thanks.

randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:53 AM   #2
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
My take is that Jayco owners defend their brand as vocally as the Montana owners. Some are happy with their decisions and some will complain if hung with a new rope.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:00 AM   #3
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Jayco has different levels of campers. The lower levels are fine for most but not as road worthy or for full timers. The high end ones seem to be close or equal to Montanas.
Just my opinion from what I have seen and from owners.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:16 AM   #4
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Our trailer before the Montana was a Jayco "Eagle." It was our first NEW fifth-wheel. We had a good experience, and only traded when we got a good deal on our Montana 2955. Our present fifth-wheel is a NuWa HitchHiker II.

We have had a good experience with every one of our trailers.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by camper4

Jayco has different levels of campers. The lower levels are fine for most but not as road worthy or for full timers. The high end ones seem to be close or equal to Montanas.
Just my opinion from what I have seen and from owners.
Agree...the top of the line Designer is very nice.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
We traded a Jayco Eagle for the Montana it gave us great service had less Mfg. defects than the Montana
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We looked at the Jayco's before we bought the Montana. The Jayco we looked at cost more than our Montana, but had the same fixtures, plumbing etc that our Forest River TT had. Couldn't see paying $80,000 for the same infrastructure we payed 18,000 for so we bought the Montana. Not just my opinion, Joyce looked at some of the same things and said "no way" before I even said a word. That being said, you can tell from my posts, that I'm no fan of Keystones engineering and construction techniques, but we still think we made the right decision.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #8
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Thanks for the responses, I will relay the messages.
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #9
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
We had a Jayco Eagle before our Monty. Looked at them again. Cabinets are small. Interior fabrics and materials not as nice. Dealer left a lot to be desired. Tiny facility and ser. Area. Not very professional. We were satisfied with ours but found we liked the Montana much better and have been very happy with our decision. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The word from the Jayco owners I've met (5 of them), is that the heavier duty Jaycos are loved by their owners. The lighter duty Jaycos have experienced more problems (window fell out, minor other issues probably from lighter construction) and they learned to love theirs too. Most said it took them a while to get over the sticker shock (they seem to be pricier than competitors with similar features). So it seems if you don't mind the price and it offers what you are looking for you should be fine.

Don't have any more experience than that.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:10 AM   #11
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Just to be clear the Jayco we owned and used, without problems, was the "entry level" Jayco Eagle (see post above.) We towed it for 31,800 miles. We are not full-timers. We traded for our Montana, which we felt was a "step-up," but my point is that our experience with the Jayco was good. We did look at the "Designer," Jayco's higher level and would been entirely willing to move up to one, had we not found the Montana and the deal that we did--at the time we did.

Jayco Eagle -- good experience
Montana 2955 -- good experience
HitchHiker II -- good experience

On the other hand, I know that others have had some significant problems with every one of these brands. We are active on this forum and the NuWa (HitchHiker) forum, and often see posts dealing with serious problems. My interest is just to report that we have been very fortunate. We towed our Montana over 50,000 miles. I have kept a travel log on all three of the trailers I've mentioned above.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:49 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
IMO the Jayco is no better no worse than than Montana. Our dealer sold both brands and we could see them side by side. We got a much better deal on the Montana for what IMO was little difference.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote