Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2009, 10:51 AM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Word of Caution! (on Valve stems)

I just replaced all of the valve stems on the 4 Monty road tires. I had the rubber and metal High Pressure Valves Stems in them. On my way to Fort Chiswell about 32 miles or so from getting there a truck driver hollered at me on the “CB radio” warning me about a low tire on the camper. I pulled off not long after that and discovered the tire only had 30 lbs. of air in it.

[I know a tire monitoring system would’ve helped but that isn’t what this post is about.]

I have now replaced a total of 3 valves on there of which each one started leaking air around the stem especially whenever you would feel of the valve stem, you could then feel the air blowing out and more so whenever you pushed on the valve stem. I replaced them with all metal stems that used a nut on them, of which I heard suggestions from other MOCers. When they changed them I was told the other one was bad. I doubt that it would’ve lasted very long.

I don’t know what brand of valve stems they were but I thought I would pass it along anyway!

Old 08-13-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Bill. We had a tire go flat because of a bad valve stem a few years ago. Ours now all have high pressure metal stems. A few years ago there was a rash of bad ones reported here but yours is the first I've heard of in quite some time. Just one more thing to watch out for.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
You are now using the ones I use. They were recommended by my tire man.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:35 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I looked at my valve stems on my Monty and found 3 types. Two are the same on the driver side of the rig. Long black rubber. On the passenger side one has a chrome cover, but I think it's just a chrome piece put over the black rubber style. The fourth one is a black rubber one but a different length from the ones on the driver's side.

The stems are holding air - there is no more than a couple of lbs needed every few weeks, but is there some way to tell if they are the high pressure type? When I changed out my tires the tire guy assured he me he would put high pressure valve stems but I don't know how to visually tell and now they are all different from each other.

I guess if they have held air this long (6-7 months) and about 2000 miles, they should be okay.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:22 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Best stems are the all-metal ones. Had mine all changed out back when I put new tires on. Before that I was always concerned about losing air, which I did. I no longer lose air around the stems.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:03 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Yes, Orv, that's what I THOUGHT I was gonna get. We had our Missions replaced while we were at a campground and they were kind enough to come out and replace the tires. When we got back to our site, I confirmed all the tires, but I didn't look close enough at the stems to verify they were not all metal. I didn't see that they were on the receipt so I didn't make a fuss. After all, they were kind enough to put high-pressure stems, just not metal - I just don't know if there is a visual check for it.

I'll change them out when I detect a problem. I monitor them constantly and will bank on my diligence to head off a major problem - I hope.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:24 AM   #7
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
This is the style you are talking about.

If you are going to use a tire pressure monitoring system that screws onto the valve then get the longer stems. I have on short one and it is too tight in my opinion.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:25 PM   #8
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Take a look at this article on Selecting Proper Valve Stems

http://www.techtirerepairs.com/tech_...0Issue%202.pdf

E. Sven
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:19 PM   #9
jchw
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6712
BTW, we're in the process of getting Mission to pay for the remaining 2 tires that went bad on ours. One tire blew and did $4,700 damage to the rig. I now find out that there is a high-pressure "large diameter" valve stem that should be replaced. Most tire dealers have only the smaller diameter but high pressure valve stems... this may have been contributing to everyone's tire leaking pressure...
jchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:16 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
All of our OEM rubber stems leaked and if we moved them a bit air would escape. We replaced them with the metal stems.....HOWEVER..after having all four tires changed we had a low pressure warning from our TPM. Found the nut on that stem was loose and leaking . Others were also loose but not yet leaking. My guess is that when the tires were changed the guys did not properly check or tighten the stems and in checking the tire pressure and removing the TPM senders I loosened the stems????? I retighten all of them and thus far...no leak...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:13 PM   #11
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
We changed ours to metal after reading here about leaking valve stems and the cost of damage cause by them. Cheep insurance. So far so good, to date no tire problems.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:19 PM   #12
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
when we had our tires replaced this fall, Goodyear G614, the tire shop had to order new metal valve stems.
The ones that he usually uses, the nut on the valve stem was to large to fit into the valve hole in the TR6 rim.
This is where some of them are having problems.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:57 AM   #13
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Do you have the name of the company that the tire shop bought the stems from? I'd hate to get the wrong ones.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote