Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2009, 04:52 PM   #1
tonycamacho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9300
Send a message via AIM to tonycamacho
Trailer Weights

Does anyone have a good guess of how a much a 2955 RL would weigh with the typical factory installed furnisher, TVs, and optional front air conditioner. Does the factory include the basic installed furnisher when they determine the unloaded vehicle weight (UVW)?

I ask these questions because the wife now wants to install a washer dryer and I am getting somewhat concerned about weights because of all the stuff we haul in the basement and the 5500 Onan generator which is also installed forward.

Thanks,

Tony

tonycamacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:37 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
During the 2005 model year they were still using a unloaded weight of that model with "standard options." When I asked, they said "standard options" includes all standard items, including the furniture, TV, rear AC, etc., plus those options nearly everyone gets. (I've since figured out what standard options really means but that's another story and has no bearing on your question.)

So, if it were me, I'd take the UVW unloaded vehicle weight listed on the sticker on a cabinet door and add for the optional front AC, the battery (approx 60 lbs) and two propane bottles (what, 70 lbs each when full?). The dealer adds the battery and propane bottles so they were not included in that weight. Also include your gear, food, etc. Best bet is to take it to a truck scale (or farmers co-op when they're closed) and weigh the rig yourself.

The current models, I am told, are subject to different rules that require each coach to be weighed and stickered accordingly. But the 2005 models followed the guidelines I listed above.

The keystone-montana.com site shows on the 2005 specs page that your model has a 3000 lb load capacity. We had a washer and dryer stack in our 2003 3295RK and also in this 2007 3400RL. Frankly, I doubt they'll weigh enough to be a problem but you're wise to check it out.

Good luck.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:08 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The listed shipping weight for my 06 3400 was 11,650lbs.. We added the front A/C..Mor Ryde pin box and a couple of batteries. Picked it up at the dealers, drove it to a set of scales, unhooked it and weighed it....12,340 lbs a 690 lb difference....so much for accuracy of any kind at least in 06. Nearly had a heart attack when we weighed it at the Fall rally...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:11 PM   #4
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920

Rich, we were over in GVWR at the Fall Rallyby 1200 lbs. It was the truck ...3/4 diesel...they can see us comin'
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Dennis, you REALLY NEED TO REMOVE that 1600lbs of Mackinac Island fudge from your basement!!!
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:37 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Richfaa.... now you can imagine my concern because I only have an F250. Good thing we don't Full time. I can relate to mail2us but unloading the RV and upgrading the truck will eventually minimize my weight problem. But I also have to stay on a diet.

UVW typically includes the out-the-door weight from the factory including furniture, empty holding and propane tanks, and factory installed A/C and washer dryer if installed. The label on the rig (the one on a cabinet door or what's listed on the front right corner label) does not include anything installed afterwards like at the dealer or anything you add in the cabinets or storage compartments, like personal gear, 2nd A/C, W/D, genny's, etc. While many things you installed afterwards will often list their weight, it may not include the peripheral weight, that is, extra plumbing, wiring, hardware, fluids or other surprises in order to support the product, so your actual weight will increase faster than you'd like.

The best guess is to weigh your rig so you know where you are. I have been burned by guessing and probably so have many others. A W/D will add a "few pounds" especially if it is located in the front over the pin.

P.S. To Dennis, if you need any help removing the fudge, I'll delay my diet to help you out.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:14 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We got every weight at the Fall rally. I had 4 areas in the red all tire ratings. This 3400 weighed in at nearly 15K . We have since off loaded about 500lbs.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:04 AM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
IMHO, when refering to the weight of an RV, use at least the GVWR. As indicated in the above posts, these things run heavier than we think.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:40 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I think most of us would be surprised at the actual weight of these things. I see many post on forums that..well we weighed at the Flying J scales and our combined gross vehicle weight is listed as 23,500lbs and we weighed in at 22,300lbs so we are good....Right.....that is only one number. You can be OK on that one and be out on several others. We do two things on a regular basis. We pull with a truck that does not meet spec's for the load and we overload the camper. We also seem to overlook tire ratings and blame tire failures on everything but exceeding the ratings. We pulled for over 3 years with the 3400 way overloaded..Hey...It pulled fine and we had no problems...welll..maybe not..we had shackle bolts come loose, axle shifted, Springs on the heavy side were flattening out.. Being overweight by like 1300lbs had nothing to do with that.. it was the vendors fault, Keystones fault..anybody elses fault..But not mine..like I said.....It pulled fine.. It would not hurt to get our campers properly weighed. We are encouraged that the service center now weighs every unit in for service and goes over the numbers with you.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:15 AM   #10
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Our scales here in the Northwest are set up to weigh indivual axles; and by that I mean, you can weigh your front axle of the truck, then the rear axle of the truck, and then the tandem axles of the Monty. These are highway sacles and compare very well with any scale used for trade, ie grain elevator or seed cleaning plants.
If you want to weigh each wheel load on the 5th wheel the Highway staff have portable scales that they can put individually under all four wheels at the same time to give you an accurate weight.
With our truck and Monty, we are okay and within both the 5th wheels GRVW and the trucks rating for rear axle capacity. If we were to add a lot of unnecessary items we would likely be on the line or over.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:17 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The above is how they weighed them at the fall rally and the way to get accurate weights. A 07 3400 has GVWR of 15,500lbs and the CC is 3940. Since we now have the equivalent of 7K axles with the IS system I use the 07 3400 as my "new Numbers." As we mentioned above we were 690 lbs over the "listed shipping weight when empty. We also carry about 10 gals of water in the fresh water tanks, 10 in the black tank and 5 in the gally tank for another 200lbs.that is now 3940-890lbs=3050lbs CC.. Thats a lot right?? Start weighing stuff. I off loaded 85 lbs of tools and we don't carry many tools because I do not know how to use them. Helen off loaed 25lbs of pots and pans we have never used. Dishes, silverware, clothing, hoses,camping stuff..it really adds up and will surprise you.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:27 PM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Rich, mine goes in the service bay tomorrow and I hope they weigh mine also. When MorRyde weighed me last year I was under everything. Haven't added much this year cepting a few t-shirts or ball caps. We will see!!!!! In any event, I will be adding the Goodyear G614's over the winter before starting out next year......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:32 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Pay attention the tire ratings and the weight on each wheel.