Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2009, 02:43 AM   #1
jaleepadgett
Established Member

M.O.C. #8402
Newbie, Slide Hydraulic Pump Fluid ??

I have a 2008 2955RL and the fluid tank is about half full with the slides in. What level should it be and what type of fluid do I use?
The owners manual that came with the Monty does not resemble the actual tank and Pump I have.
Thanks

jaleepadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:01 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
If I recall, with the slides IN, the level sould be about 1" from the top. Use any ATF transmission fluid. From Lippert, the slide manufacturer, you can use the cheapest ATF you can find will work.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:05 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
It is my understanding that with all the slides in their travel position (in) you should have about an inch to 1/2 inch of space left at the top of the tank. But it was several years ago that this info was given to me. And CRS has increased considerably since then. At least I think it has..... I don't remember for sure! Hopefully someone else will be along shortly to give us the right info.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:12 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
The answers give are correct. About one inch from the top when the slides are in. You don't need the most expensive transmission fluid to refill the pump. As MIMF has said many times, any transmission fluid will work (my paraphrase of MIMF).

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:49 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We also marked the full position with a black marker pen as well as the slides open position.ow you can tell at a glance if you are low.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:07 AM   #6
jaleepadgett
Established Member

M.O.C. #8402
Thanks gang, I'm off to Wally mart. This is the best Web Forum I have ever seen. The advice and knowledge here has saved me from many mistakes. ( Expensive and dangerous ones)
Thanks Again
jaleepadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:34 AM   #7
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Rich, marking the levels makes great sence. I'm going to do it too.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:49 AM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We also marked the full position with a black marker pen as well as the slides open position.ow you can tell at a glance if you are low.
I did that too...it's then very easy to tell when you have a leak.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:40 AM   #9
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Rich,
Thanks for the idea. I'll mark my tank tomorrow. The forum comes through again!!!
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:19 AM   #10
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
James, when you look at the label on the bottle of ATF, make sure it says Dexron/DexronIII or Mercon/Mercon5. Look for Wal-mart's brand which is usually the cheapest or any other brand that's cheaper and it will work just fine.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:31 PM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I just want to understand this ATF thing, but ANY ATF fluid and making sure it's Dexron/DexronIII or Mercon/Mercon5 are contradictory. So I should look for Dexton or DexronIII or Mercon or Mercon5 tranny fluid? Not necessarily any ATF fluid that does not meet the D/D/M/M specs?

I will mark the full mark for slides in, slides out and I want to mark the ATF type on the reservoir for reference when get that figured out.

Thanks!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:56 AM   #12
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
As HamRad and others indicated, you fill the hydraulic system within 1/2" of the top when all slideouts are completely retracted or in a closed position. This according to Lippert.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:16 PM   #13
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
On my 2006 3500RL I finally broke down and just pulled out the manual. It states that the reservoir should be filled and checked with the slides in and should be filled to 1/2" from the top. The manual also specifies ATF Type A.

My reservoir was only half full! That might explain why my slides take forever to extend or retract. They start, then stop, then resume, then stop until they are finally out. I took it to the dealer and they replace some electrical part but that didn't fix the problem. The reservoir was at that level when I bought it so I figured it was correct.

I went to the autoparts store and couldn't find ATF Type A. There is ATF Type F but I have used these on older Fords. Everything else used Dextron, Mercon or something like that. I bought a quart of mercon/dextron multi Vis because it specifically stated it was not for use in Type F application. Since I needed Type A I guess this is okay. I then filled up the reservoir and the slides extend and retract with NO MORE delays. Hooray.

I permanently marked the fill line and the Type A specification so I don't have to look it up in the book anymore.

Thanks all!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:43 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The any ATF will do is what I was told, too. Also, color doesn't matter. You can mix colors with no problem. And the cheapest you can find is just fine.

I also marked ours with a black marker the day we took delivery. That's how I discovered a slow leak that has been there since day 1. I never could find the leak. However, I finally found it in the bedroom slide mechanism on the hose that connects to the side of the cylinder under the bed. It's been leaking slowly into the tray below the cylinder. The swivel on the connector is where it leaks. Unfortunately we're out of warranty and I cannot prove it was defective on day 1. So when our front AC is replaced on Wednesday we're having that hose replaced, also. Or a new connector installed, whichever is more feasible. The leak has only totaled about a quart or a little more, in almost three years.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:44 AM   #15
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

On my 2006 3500RL I finally broke down and just pulled out the manual. It states that the reservoir should be filled and checked with the slides in and should be filled to 1/2" from the top. The manual also specifies ATF Type A.
Dang, now who would think to read the manual? Certainly not me! Not big on reading directions either, as my wife will attest.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote